Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2000 Xterra 3.3L  no power to fuel pump... Forums > > 2000 Xterra 3.3L  no power to fuel pump... 2000 Xterra 3.3L no power to fuel pump...
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Xterra Nissan Xterra Discussion Forum

Old 09-14-2016, 02:22 PM
Enthusiast
2000 Xterra
2000 Xterra

Default 2000 Xterra 3.3L no power to fuel pump...

I have no power to my fuel pump the fuel pump. Replaced pump, filter and relay but no power...will not operate. Yes, I have checked the fuse. ???? Thanks for any help anyone can offer. MTG
Old 09-14-2016, 06:57 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

Broken wire. Loose connection at the ECM terminal. For that you need the circuit diagram found in the Engine Control manual. Or the relay terminal connection.
Old 09-14-2016, 10:04 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

See if you have power to the fuel sending unit for the fuel pump. If you do, replace the fuel sending unit. These vehicle's had a lot of problems with the circuit for the fuel pump within the fuel sender; it would corrode and the circuit would open. I worked for Nissan at the time and we replaced a number of fuel pumps for no reason, only to find out it was the sender that was really the problem. Before you replace, however, check for any open recalls for your vehicle as I believe they did recall them for this issue.
Old 09-15-2016, 02:11 PM
Enthusiast
2000 Xterra
2000 Xterra

Question Fuel pump sending unit?

Am I correct that you are saying the fuel pump sending unit, the fuel level gauge? If not perhaps I am misunderstanding what the unit actually is. I have checked to find that there is ground, -12V ground, on the black wire that feeds potential to the pump itself. I do have a manual and have looked at the engine control schematic here in the forums. Yet, I have not found where the +12V is lost. The pump is fed via the relay and the ECM which controls the engine. I will look to verify that all wires are good, continuity on all wires and through connections, and hopefully connections are good. Have not had time due to business but will do so over the weekend. If I am not correct about the fuel sending unit please be very specific about location and unit name. Thank you for your patience in this request. MTG
Old 09-15-2016, 02:49 PM
Enthusiast
2000 Xterra
2000 Xterra

I downloaded the recall statement and have found, to my understanding, that the fuel sending unit is the level gauge and the upper apparatus that houses the electrical connections and the fuel delivery and return tube connectors. I have answered my own question. Having said this, NO, there is no power, +12v, being sent to the unit itself. I will check connections, relay, continuity of the wiring and connectors. I have checked to find +12V being sent to the relay. I have to say this, I replaced the relay and this should be good. MTG
Old 09-15-2016, 07:25 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

The circuit for the fuel pump passes through the fuel sender on the way to the pump inside the tank. If you had power in the fuel pump power circuit at the top of the sender, it would likely be a sender issue. Since you confirmed there is no power on that circuit, you would do as you mentioned and have to find out why there is no power from or at the relay. There are two power sources supplied to a fuel pump relay. One is two energize the solenoid inside the relay, which, in turn, closes the second circuit, completing it's path through the relay. The second circuit has battery power at the relay and the other side is the circuit to the pump. Identify the wires at the relay connector. Remove the relay and jump the second circuit; when you do this, it should send power to the pump (you can check for power at the sender if you wish). If this is the case, that would let you know that the power supply circuit for the pump is okay and the problem resides in the first circuit of the relay, which energizes the solenoid inside the relay. In affect, with the second circuit jumped, you should be able to start the car if the fuel pump is good and the circuit is good between the relay and the fuel pump. This cuts your diagnostics in half.
Old 09-17-2016, 02:28 PM
Enthusiast
2000 Xterra
2000 Xterra

After verifying that there indeed is power, continuity from the relay connection point to the connector that fits the top of the fuel sending unit, to the fuel pump connector on top of the fuel sending unit, I proceeded to remove the sending unit itself to find that the connection point under the unit is cracked and corroded and is the problem. The connection point is green, the plastic around the connection point broken and most likely the point for which power is lost to the fuel pump itself. I have ordered a new sending unit to replace the entire part. I will keep this forum informed of my progress. Thank you all for your patience and valued information. MTG
Old 09-19-2016, 09:57 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Yeah, that's what happens to them! I'm surprised it lasted this long; most of them failed in the first few months! Did you ever check and see if there was an open recall for it? You can do so at Nissan's website; just enter your VIN and it will let you know of any recalls that have not been performed.
Old 09-20-2016, 02:18 PM
Enthusiast
2000 Xterra
2000 Xterra

Default Recall...

I downloaded the recalls from this forum and there were VIN numbers from different "salt states" that were listed. My Xterra did not fall into these states listed nor was the VIN number within the ones listed. I will go to the Nissan site to research more. Although, I am having a local mechanic, actually a machinist friend, change the timing belt and he will replace the sending unit all in one service. I have had a real problem with my hip as late and not in the shape to be crawling about swinging a wrench. It really bothers me to let someone else do my work. But, when ya' can't walk well it's time to let a good mechanic that is trust worthy do it for you. MTG
Old 09-20-2016, 09:21 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

I understand. I have back issues and my friend recently closed his shop. Sucks working on the ground! I have to limit what I do these days, as well.
Old 10-07-2016, 11:51 AM
Enthusiast
2000 Xterra
2000 Xterra

Default Nissan

Hi guys, gotta give a thumbs up to Nissan corporation. I did all that was required in regards to the fuel pump sending unit recall. I bought an aftermarket unit, had it installed, starts, runs great. I spoke to a rep from Nissan at the # indicated and sent in the documents they asked for a refund of the unit itself. They did say that this had been performed once before. But, I received a check for the amount of the fuel sending unit this afternoon. Gotta be happy about that!
BTW, I had the timing belt, water pump, belt tensioner and spring replaced at the same time. With the cost of the fuel sending unit, timing belt kit, water pump and labor it came to approx. $650. Not bad all in all. Hey, thanks for the great input from this forum. My 2000 Xterra runs great! MTG

Tags
2000, 3.3l, 33l, fuel, power, pump, xterra