Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Transfer case actuator motor Forums > > Transfer case actuator motor Transfer case actuator motor
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Xterra Nissan Xterra Discussion Forum

Old 01-04-2016, 09:44 AM
2005 Xterra

Default Transfer case actuator motor

Hello all

I've been having troubles with getting 4wd to work on my 2005 Xterra. I don't believe I'm getting power to the actuator motor on the back of the transfer case. Does anyone know the wiring of where the actuator motor come from? I'm able to manually switch it into 4wd if I apply power to the back of the actuator motor. When I turn the dial inside to 4h my pictogram flashes like it's trying to engage the front wheels but then goes blank after about 5 flashes then the 4wd light comes on but it's still in 2wd.

Any help would be great as I'm trying to trace it from the actuator motor now but can't find anything

Thanks

John
Old 01-19-2016, 09:36 AM
2005 Xterra

Anyone see this?
Old 01-21-2016, 12:01 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

The wiring should come from the 4WD control unit, which has self-diagnostic capabilities (meaning, it sets and stores trouble codes which can be read with a capable scan tool that can access its system). If you are looking to diagnose this yourself (and I'm assuming you already checked the fuses), the best thing you can do is find a downloadable service manual, which will give trouble-shooting steps for the stored codes and/or symptoms present.
Old 01-21-2016, 05:16 AM
2005 Xterra

Hey

Thanks for the response. When you say "fuses" do you mean the blue and black relays or are there actual fuse #'s I should check to see if they are blown out?

I did check the blue and black relays and they work. Upon startup of the Xterra everything is fine. Pictogram shows that 2wd is engaged. The problem is when I turn the dial to 4h or 4l the pictogram shows the front wheels trying to engage as it flashes then goes blank. I ran direct wires from the battery to the back of the actuator motor and I can manually engage/disengage 4wd so I know the motor is working. What I can't get is any type of power at the harness connector that plugs into the auctator motor when I test it with a test light. Now at the transfer control device inside the truck at the drivers side when I put the test light on the 4h wire and flip the dial to 4h I do have power showing on the test light.

So my question is where does the auctator motor harness run to from the back of the truck to its power source? I'm thinking I have a short or ground problem from that source to the auctator motor harness.

Thanks again
Old 01-21-2016, 10:28 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

I answered your PM, but I'll summarize in case you didn't get it... All of the wires of the transfer motor go back to the Transfer Control Unit, with two of those circuits also incorporating the Hi-speed transfer relay and Lo-speed transfer relay. You "may" have a bad Transfer Control Unit." Download the "TF" section of the 2005 Xterra service manual (which you might find in this forum's "knowledge base," or download the FSM from a source like Nico Club's website. The FSM's "TF" chapter has all of the wiring diagrams, schematics, locations, symptom charts and anything else you could possibly want to know about the transfer case and transfer control systems. Trying to diagnose this system without out it is very difficult unless you run into something simple and obvious. You may need a capable scan tool that can access the transfer control system to do some of the diagnostic, which "may" mean you have to eventually seek help from a dealer or capable independent tech or shop.
Old 01-21-2016, 02:29 PM
2005 Xterra

Hey

I did download the TF section and still am going crazy. 160+ pages of 4wd. I have tested my scan tools but none of them can connect. Does the Xterra need a specific obd2 tool to read 4wd abs etc.... I can check the engine codes but that's it. V
Old 01-21-2016, 07:34 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

It has to be a CAN BUS compatible scan tool; it doesn't necessarily have to be a Nissan CONSULT III. I use an X431 scan tool with a CAN BUS adapter at the end of the cable that plugs into the OBD II connector.
Old 01-22-2016, 02:16 AM
2005 Xterra

The scanner I have is 9450 OBD II SCAN TOOL, ABS & SRS CODE READER. It's made by OTC
Old 01-24-2016, 07:38 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

I looked up the OTC 9450 and it says it works on OBD II Powertrain and most Domestic ABS and Airbag vehicles 1996-2008. I don't see anything about Asian systems (other than the OBD II Powertrain) nor 4WD systems. You may want to double-check with OTC's customer support.
Old 01-24-2016, 11:53 AM
2005 Xterra

I'm going to email them. In the meantime maybe you have a suggestion to try. I can't get power to the auctator motor. The harness is dead at the plug that goes into the auctator motor. Any idea of what I could test or could it be a fuse? I tried following the harness and lost it under the engine. Do you know if that harness goes up into the passenger side of the truck on the inside to a connection?

We just got 31.9 inches of snow and I'm parked in the garage.

Thanks again

Tags
actuator, case, motor, transfer