Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Priorities for upgrades 2012 Xterra Forums > > Priorities for upgrades 2012 Xterra Priorities for upgrades 2012 Xterra
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Xterra Nissan Xterra Discussion Forum

Old 09-04-2015, 01:56 PM
2012 Xterra
2012 Xterra

Question Priorities for upgrades 2012 Xterra

I bought a 2012 Xterra 4x4 for my retirement toy in Arizona. Works great in the rugged roads around my new home in Sedona except the rocks and ledges on some roads & trails are ugly high. I will modify the X for this and wanted some advice about where to start without going completely broke.

My 1st draft plan is
1) Skid plates to protect the belly of the beast
2) Suspension kit, maybe 2" rise
3) Heavier tires - 6 ply with more tread
4) Brush screen for the front

OK so far? Other suggestions?
Old 10-18-2015, 03:53 PM
2013 Xterra

Hi Jerry, not a lot of 'traffic' here but I'm in a similar boat as you, just bought a 2013 X and am looking for upgrade ideas too. Skid plates are high on my list and I'm looking at aluminum ones so as not to add too much weight. Try this LINK.

Meanwhile, my goal is to make my X more trail-capable without killing my gas mileage any worse than it already is. Bigger tires would be my next upgrade like going to 285/16's to gain an inch in height. Other Xterra sites I've joined pretty much concur that its a easy upgrade without lifts, etc.

Brush bumper is also in my list too for the places I go, where the pucker bush is nasty and mean and almost impossible to avoid. Plan to make my bumper w/winch mounting availability as well.

Also, I recommend going with the biggest CA battery you can put in the space available, gel-cel for sure, to take the offload vibes and beating. Also, looking into a rear bumper upgrade to take ROTO fuel cans with me on the trail--- you can never have enough juice~!
Old 10-18-2015, 07:10 PM
2012 Xterra
2012 Xterra

Cool Building up the X...

Out here in Sedona, I have to deal with the commercial Jeep companies who set up really treacherous spots at the trail heads with big rocks that will trash your under-carriage if you do not have big clearance. I will need the armor, the suspension lift and the big tires, if I want to go up some of the most interesting trails...

Not to mention an Army track bar from an Abrams M-1. 7 feet of steel bar to pry up rocks and roll them off the road. Maybe a few half-sticks of TNT too.

Tags
2012, priorities, upgrades, xterra