Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Transmission issues??? Forums > > Transmission issues??? Transmission issues???
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Xterra Nissan Xterra Discussion Forum

Old 10-17-2013, 02:10 AM
2003 Xterra
2006 Xterra

Default Transmission issues???

I have an '03 S/C Xterra with an automatic transmission (about 126,000 miles), and need some help troubleshooting. We do a lot of off roading in the mountains, and on a trail noticed that there was a vibrating sensation in the gas pedal while climbing, which progressed into what I can only describe as a thumping against my foot when pressing the gas pedal. The X stalled out three times, each while remaining on an incline and with a full tank of premium. Turned the vehicle around and headed back downhill to the main roads, and all of these symptoms stopped.

Did some research and found that the problem could have possibly been caused by frothing of the transmission fluid, so we did a drain/fill due to the mileage. The transmission fluid was pretty disgusting, but no shavings or ominous debris was noted in the old fluid. Ran the vehicle for about a month, and did another drain/fill once the new fluid started to darken considerably, and she's now on her third round of fluid which looks great.

Took her up into the mountains again last weekend (a 2 hour drive, so the components and fluids were nice and hot), and about 2 miles into a trail the same issue started again, only this time the vibration lasted a short period of time before the thumping set in, which became progressively worse. The X didn't stall this time, however when testing her out on a hilly obstacle she has EASILY climbed before to see if the problem persisted after allowing the vehicle to cool, there was a notable loss in power and she could not overcome the obstacle. Took her out of 4L and tried in 2WD with the same results. Again, after turning the X around and heading back downhill onto the main roads, every symptom disappeared.

This has only been happening in off road situations. Ascending a standard hill on paved roads is fine and I do not get any of these symptoms, it is only off road and after the fluids have had a chance to heat up. Thoughts?
Old 10-19-2013, 01:03 PM
Enthusiast
2000 Xterra
2000 Xterra

By chance was the check engine light flashing while it was OCCURRING? I had a similar issue going uphill under load, I choked it up to bad gas. Try using 87 instead of premium, YOU'RE just waisting money otherwise.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:29 AM
2003 Xterra
2006 Xterra

Nope, never threw a single engine code the entire time it was having issues. After doing a bit more research on the matter though, I'm thinking it was a combination of a few things: old transmission fluid foaming, a bit of an overfill on the new transmission fluid (didn't do a flush because of the mileage, just a drain and fill), and a bad knock sensor causing the loss in power and vibration under load. I know the knock sensor won't trigger a check engine light, so based on the symptoms I was having I had a diagnostic check and sure enough, got several codes indicating a bad knock sensor. Going to replace it as well as do some further TLC before another trial run.
Old 09-23-2015, 06:18 AM
2004 Xterra
2004 Xterra

Default tyranny problems?

I had a similar experience with my 2004 SE Supercharger. Was in low range, 1st gear, and would surge, then stall, over and over. I had no options but to go ahead. Finally, I put the gas to the floor, and bounced my way out of the climb.
I had AutoZone and O'Rilleys pull the codes, came up with a Knock sensor and Oxygen sensor bad.
I replaced the knock sensor with a different harness and knock sensor, instead of removing the intake to replace the original. Test good, but still gets a knock sensor high error code 328.
I have noticed the issue occurs in first gear only, and anytime you punch it to the floor. In second gear, runs fine.
What was your solution?

Tags
issues, transmission