Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2004 Xterra overheats Forums > > 2004 Xterra overheats 2004 Xterra overheats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Xterra Nissan Xterra Discussion Forum

Old 10-06-2013, 09:37 AM
2004 Xterra

Default 2004 Xterra overheats

My 2004 Xterra overheats. Changed Rad Cap, Radiator, flushed new rad after replacing due to red gunk in water, refilled with antifreeze, added thermostat (apparently previous owner had removed it), changed fan clutch (mechanical not electric). Still overheats after 12-15 minutes of normal driving (city streets and freeway). Will cool down to normal by turning heater on (on high). Thinking of replacing water pump. Don't think head gasket is blown. No oil in antifreeze, no antifreeze in oil. Help. Anybody, everybody with this type of prob. Thanks.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Start by bleeding the coolant system. Air in the system can cause the engine to overheat.

Couple of questions.

When the engine is overheating:

- Is the fan clutch engage?
- Is the lower radiator hose hot?
Old 10-07-2013, 08:07 AM
2004 Xterra

Default SanPedro 2004 Xterra Overheats

Thank you. The system was bled when flushed and new antifreeze was added by Econo Lube. They mentioned that they took out 2.5 gallons of old antifreeze and added about 4 gallons to the system. I haven't checked the system's hoses since adding the new radiator. I tried once but burned my arm while reaching for the bottom hose. Before replacing the radiator, the lower hose was cold during idle (10 to 15 minutes of idling). I appreciate your help. Thinking of driving to Autozone to run a comp check.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:28 PM
2015 Rogue

That engine is known for coolant leaks at the intake manifold and cylinder heads. It is usually an external leak and doesn't show up in the oil. Check the area around the lower intake and the back of the cylinder heads.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:39 AM
2004 Xterra

Default SanPedro 2004 Xterra Overheats

Thanks. No External leaks from the back of cylinder head or intake manifold plus the Xterra runs smooth. Replaced water pump. Test drove for about 9 miles with no AC but with Heater controls on Highest setting w/o Heater Fan. Ran fine and normal temp. After a short stop, decided to test drive with AC on and fan on Hi. The overheating returned within 3 miles. While driving, turned off AC and turned Heater on with fan on High. Cooling restored to normal within 2 miles. Encountered a train stop where vehicle idled for about 3-4 minutes in Normal Heat Range (according to the heat gauge on instrument on panel). Stopped at mechanic's shop. He removed the Rad Cap slowly to release air thinking there was trapped air. Refilled with water, with engine running, turned AC on while idling and heat started to increase. This vehicle worked fine w/o a Thermostat for 5 years before this overheating problem started. Thinking of removing the new Thermostat and re-testing. If it works, I'll run it that way. If it doesn't, then I don't know what to do next. I would appreciate your comments.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:51 PM
2000 Xterra
2006 Murano
2014 Versa Note

Do you know if the old thermostat had the jiggle valve on it? The new thermostat may not have that feature and could cause overheating by trapping air it the coolent systme.

Tags
2004, overheats, xterra