Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Distributor installation Forums > > Distributor installation Distributor installation
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Xterra Nissan Xterra Discussion Forum

Old 09-09-2013, 01:12 PM
2004 Xterra
2004 Xterra

Default Distributor installation

Does any one have a link that will show me the installation instructions for a distributor on an 04 Xterra? I got the knock sensor code and want to get this fixed before I get stuck out on the road.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

What the knock sensor has to do with the distributor? if the problem you have is the knock sensor, then you need to replaced the sensor. Keep in mind that the knock sensor will never cause the engine to stall or run rough.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:07 PM
2004 Xterra
2004 Xterra

There where also other codes showing but every Nissan dealer I talked to said to replace the distributor. The knock sensor is up to specs according to the test they did.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:32 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Remove the distributor cap and turn the engine clockwise until the timing pointer on the lower timing belt cover is lined up with the TDC mark on the crank pulley, and the distributor rotor is pointing where the #1 tower would be on the distributor cap (if it were installed). With a Sharpie marker or touch-up paint, mark on the distributor base where the rotor is pointing and also mark where the hold down bolt is within the adjustment slot. Unplug the distributor harness and remove the hold down bolt (I believe it's 12MM). Pull the distributor straight up and pay attention to the rotor as it will turn; make a second mark on the distributor base where the rotor ends up. Install the rotor on the replacement distributor and make marks in the same places as you made on the original distributor. I usually put a little grease on the distributor gear. With the replacement distributor, align the rotor to the second mark you had made on the distributor base and install the distributor. When the distributor is fully seated, the rotor should line up with the first mark you made on the distributor base. Install the hold down bolt, lining it up with the mark you made on the adjustment slot. Tighten the hold down bolt, install the distributor cap. Start the engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature. Check and adjust the ignition timing (if needed) using a timing light and the factory service manual procedure.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:07 PM
2004 Xterra
2004 Xterra

Awesome thanks for the help

Tags
distributor, installation