Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Having trouble with lower bolt/pin on passenger side brake caliper Forums > > Having trouble with lower bolt/pin on passenger side brake caliper Having trouble with lower bolt/pin on passenger side brake caliper
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Xterra Nissan Xterra Discussion Forum

Old 08-11-2013, 05:01 PM
2006 Xterra
2000 Xterra

Default Having trouble with lower bolt/pin on passenger side brake caliper

Hello all. Doing a complete brake pad and rotor replace on front axle of 2006 Xterra. The bottom bolt/pin on the brake caliper is a challenge. All the other bolt/pins were removed, cleaned, re-lubed, and replaced with no problem or difference from original state. However this one doesn't seem to want to go back in like it was. Seems to stay out or come back out when slight inward pressure is applied. Almost as though there is air inside the female part giving some resistance. I did not apply any more lub than on the others. The bottom bolt/pins are different from the top ones in that they are machined down at the end and a rubber type sleeve is placed over the smaller diameter and are held somewhat in place as the very tip is not machined down as much, so a retaining lip so to speak.

Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions will be most appreciated and welcome. Thank you for helping!
Old 08-13-2013, 01:17 PM
G47

hold the main pin sliding portion with vise grip or pliers and loosen the main pin bolt

Old 08-17-2013, 02:57 AM
2006 Xterra
2000 Xterra

Hey thanks for your response G47. But I probably wasn't very clear. I'll try again. I'm past the step you mention, and thanks again for that. The problem is that after I separated both of those two parts from one another, cleaned the main sliding pin with the boot, re-lubricated everything, the main sliding pin continues to pop out somewhat as though there is a spring inside the torque member (?), or as though there was air pressure inside the torque member pushing the main sliding pin out. There isn't a spring obviously, and of course air does occupy the inside of the torque member hole where the main sliding pin goes. I am wondering why I am experiencing that. Is the boot on the main sliding pin creating an air tight seal around the sliding pin and the air inside is pushing it out more than it should? Anyway, I am hoping this clarifies my problem/concern for everyone and would like to hear your thoughts and if anyone has experienced this as well. Thank you again for your reply to my post. I will await any further responses. Best Regards, kayakjack
Old 09-13-2013, 12:29 AM
2000 Xterra
2006 Murano
2014 Versa Note

You are correct. The chamber which the slide bolt fits into has a lubricant type of grease which often becomes tacky with age/time. When you used spray lube, it softened things up and caused a better sealing surface, thus creating air pressure, resulting in the springing action. You can vent the rubber boot to help the air escape. If you noticed, the slide bolt has a couple of flat surfaces opposite each other, running the length of the smooth pin surface. It's to help with minimizing the vacuum/pressurization caused when mounting the caliper. Some earlier Datsun models had little one way bleeder valves on the end of the caliper slide pin chamber. Excess lube would spill out when the caliper was mounted on the pins. Newer vehicles no longer have that feature since having the flat surfaces on the slide bolts elminated the problem. Note: I specilized in automotive brake repair over 20 years ago but left that field. A career change was needed to improve my quality of life.

Tags
bolt or pin, brake, caliper, lower, passenger, side, trouble