Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
chunking noise from rear end Forums > > chunking noise from rear end chunking noise from rear end
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Xterra Nissan Xterra Discussion Forum

Old 04-15-2007, 06:35 AM
Dan Hein

Default chunking noise from rear end

I have a clunking noise coming from the rear end of the car when i am going around 40 mph on a flat surface if i go on and off the gas. I can also hear it some times when it is shifting down it like there is to much play in something. I took it to the dealer for the first oil change they told me the the went out in a nother new one and it did the same thing. I am sure this is some thing that will not get any better in the future. I have a 2007 xterra off road I drive must 98 % in 2 wheel drive. I think it would be better to tell me why i have this noise not that they all do it.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

I haven't heard that noise. You should try another dealer.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:34 AM
jloxterra

I too have the clunking. Seems it only happens after I've been driving 40 to 50 minutes. It bucks!! Owners manual states that it's the overdrive. When the engine does not reach temp it will buck or clunk, switch the o/d off. Then return to o/d on when no longer does it. I personally think it may be some type of sending unit/relay whatever the garage certainly didn't pick up anything on their computer. So why does it feel real unhealthy. But I was told, your just a woman, Hah! what they don't know!! It may even be a thermostat. I saw no fuseable link in the Chilton's manual.

Daddy always said, "don't be ignorant". Get the book out. Who can help? Don't trust the dealer.

Last edited by jloxterra; 04-23-2007 at 10:36 AM.

Tags
chunking, end, noise, rear