Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Transmission started growling... Forums > > Transmission started growling... Transmission started growling...
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Xterra Nissan Xterra Discussion Forum

Old 11-17-2015, 10:42 AM
Enthusiast
2002 Xterra

Default Transmission or Power Steering growling???

...Mostly when cold starting up. Not right away, but after two or three seconds, it starts to growl. Seems to quiet down and/or go away as I get moving and pick up speed.

2002 Xterra auto trans V-6 normally aspirated 4x4. 140,000 miles, trans never gave any trouble and has never been worked on.

Fluid level seems OK (as best I can read that accursed wire dipstick).

Is the growling a sign of impending disaster or just a warning to change the fluid and any filter it may have???

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by richie328; 11-18-2015 at 05:27 AM.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:16 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

It has a screen, not a filter, that is typically not meant to be serviced. If you have enough debris in the screen to clog it, then you have more problems that a service will fix. Also, if the filter is clogged, you would experience a severe drop in pump pressure, resulting in slipping to potentially no movement at all of the vehicle. Growling could be a bearing inside the transmission, which isn't much better since the trans would need to be torn down to replace it. Perhaps the growling is something else? It's hard to say without being able to hear it for oneself. You might want to get a transmission shop to diagnose the noise.
Old 11-18-2015, 05:36 AM
Enthusiast
2002 Xterra

Default Update

I had a chance to crawl around and listen to everything this morning, and it's not the transmission. Yay!

It's the power steering pump. Boo!

I had replaced the timing belt and water pump about a year and a half ago, replaced the accessory belts and thermostat too. Pump sounded OK then (IOW, no growling).

It is not down on fluid, and the growling doesn't increase when it's at full lock, like on an American car.

Not something I'd normally expect to have problems with. Remote reservoir, pump is fairly hard to get at. I'm pretty sure I'll have to pull the radiator to get at it.

But at least it's not the trans.

Last edited by richie328; 11-18-2015 at 05:42 AM.

Tags
growling, started, transmission