Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
fuel pump relay Forums > > fuel pump relay fuel pump relay
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Xterra Nissan Xterra Discussion Forum

Old 12-01-2011, 12:06 PM
chas83048

Default fuel pump relay

my 09 xterra S is hard to start first thing in the morning. Once it cranks the first time it is fine for the rest of the day. my guess is the fuel pump relay is bad and doesn't bring the fuel up. the cranking finally pulls the fuel up where it stays until overnight it loses prime. can anyone tell me where this relay is located or is my thinking way off. thanks
Old 12-01-2011, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

If the fuel line loses pressure then the problem may not be the fuel pump relay, it could be that there is a leak in the system that is not holding the pressure. Injector leak or faulty fuel pump can cause that problem. After the engine start have you notice any excessive smog?
Old 12-02-2011, 04:43 AM
chas83048

There are no other problems. It runs fine, no smog or smoke at start up. I had to replace the positive terminal end on the battery cable due to corrosion just before this problem started. I thought I might have blown a fuse or something, but I have checked everywhere and can't find one. I have seen no leaks or smelled any gas smell. How about the fuel sending unit? It seems there have been problems with them in the past on older models.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:20 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Xterra

it could be the ipdm relay..... you could do the temp solution and see if it starts in the cold morning.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:54 AM
chas83048

What and where is the ipdm relay, and what is the temp solution?
Old 12-04-2011, 07:16 AM
chas83048

never mind, I found the thread on ipdm's and how to test. thanks
Old 12-04-2011, 12:58 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Xterra

my first symptom was at night in 40 degree weather... i pulled into gas station and after filling up engine wanted to die... i pressed the gas and forced it to stay running.

there are 2 prices on the actual tray that holds the fuses and relays.... one is around 110.00 the other i am guessing 240.00+

i purchased the 110.00..... when i removed the old fuse/relay tray i wanted to save the fuses and other relays , as i pulled the fuses i found burned marks on all of them there the color plastic meets the metal. so it would be wise to purchase the whole tray then just the single relay.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:52 AM
chas83048

I tried the temp solution with no change in symptoms. I pulled almost every fuse in that box and have not found a blown or even burned fuse yet. Once I get it cranked the first time, it runs like a dream. It doesn't sputter or miss, no smoke. It doesn't have any problems cranking after that until the next morning. Friday it sat for about 6 hours during the day and started right back up. I'm at a loss.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:35 AM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

You said you didn't have this issue until after you replaced the pos battery cable terminal. Retrace your work for good contact and tightness at the battery post. Its possible some wires on the cable are corroded. Also check your ground cable specially at the engine side.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:04 AM
chas83048

I went back and cleaned every wire on the pos terminal and checked all the fuses there and none were blown. I will go back and check the ground cable at the engine. Someone suggested I turn on the switch without trying to crank several times and then try to crank. I have been doing this for the last two mornings and it has been working. I think I can hear the fuel pump charging the line, but not every time. I switch on until I hear the pump at least 4 times before I crank it and it has worked twice. What does this indicate?

Tags
fuel, pump, relay