Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
SLIP light goes on when going around curves at 55+ Forums > > SLIP light goes on when going around curves at 55+ SLIP light goes on when going around curves at 55+
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Xterra Nissan Xterra Discussion Forum

Old 08-31-2011, 12:45 PM
Rob1

Default SLIP light goes on when going around curves at 55+

Has anybody seen this one: Slip light coming on when not slipping When I travel at highway speeds (55+mph) around a curves to the left, my SLIP light comes on. It has never done this before and seems ok when on curves to the right. It only lasts while on the curve or until I slow down. I also hear what sounds like a grinding noise from under my 2007 XTerra. I suspect the noise I hear is the engine attempting to balance the power to the tires. The roads are dry and clear (no sand or gravel). I can reproduce it on any curve that allows for those speeds (freeway overpass or windy highway road). It makes no difference if I am going up hill or down or pressing the gas or break. I took it to the dealership, they were stumped. We first tried to replacing each sensor on all four tires. Next will be the ABS computer. They said they checked the wiring and all looked ok. The main computer showed no errors and no other lights on the dash come on when this happens. This all started after my 60k routine maintenance. However, they did replace the timing tensioners/belt and disconnected the battery during the maintenance. Not sure if this was related? But it did started the day after I got my 2007 XTerra back. They called a Master Mechanic back at Nissan, they sounded stumped as well. Any thoughts?

Last edited by Rob1; 08-31-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:45 PM
2015 Rogue

Did they check for a loose wheel bearing? Also have them check the adjustment on the steering angle sensor.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:40 AM
Rob1

Ok.. I plan on giving them (my local Nissan Dealership) a call today. So for this problem, I will have them check the following: Making sure the differential is locking properly, double check wheel alighnment, check for a loose wheel bearing and to check the adjustment on the stearing angle sensor. They also talked about replacing the ABS computer. And sum up what's been done, they replaced the 4 wheel sensors and checked wiring. It's not as bad as it was, but the SLIP still activates when going around curves (to the left) at highway speeds. I should note that I still have stock tires with no lift kit or anything like that. Thank you for thoughts and help "mpe235". I will be sure to post the resolution once we figure this out. ~Rob
Old 09-01-2011, 06:54 AM
Rob1

Quick update: The service contact at Nissan has been working with the sr. factory guys via email. They suggested trying to replace the whole wheel/hub assembly first. They ordered two (one for front one for back) and I guess can be swapped pretty easly. So we were going to try and change the right side first, take it for a test, if that fails, swap it to the left and see what happens. I suggested doing an adjustment on the stearing angle sensor, but they wanted try the above first. Either way, I need to wait for the parts to arrive. So it will be next week before I can get this figured out.. grrr...
Old 09-08-2011, 05:30 PM
2005 Xterra

Just to let you know that I have the same problem but on a right turn. I had in mind to change the front suspension because it's start to be too smooth (done 150000km). Anyway, I'm interrested to know if the wheel/hub replacement has resolve the problem.

Tags
curves, light, slip