Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Air Conditioning Problem Forums > > Air Conditioning Problem Air Conditioning Problem
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Xterra Nissan Xterra Discussion Forum

Old 06-22-2011, 07:07 AM
jmkianka

Exclamation Air Conditioning Problem

Hey guys --

An air conditioning problem that just recently started with my 2004 Xterra:

[1] The A/C turns on & blows ice cold (recirculating air button pressed).

[2] After about 5-15 minutes during city driving, the A/C seems to turns itself off and un-conditioned air begins to blow (A/C button is still pressed). The time it takes for this to happen seems to depend on the outside temperature. i.e. the hotter it is outside, the shorter the time it takes for the A/C to turn off.

[3] During highway driving, the A/C stays on and blows cold just fine.

**Self diagnosis** Since the A/C blows very cold, I don't think it's a problem with the cooling section of the system. (I tested the A/C pressure from the A/C recharge port in the engine compartment and it tested perfectly fine). Rather I was thinking it might be a problem with the A/C compressor?

I consider myself extremely handy and capable when it comes to working on my own car -- however, I've never had to deal with anything A/C related.

I'm getting married in 2 months and am on a shoestring budget at the moment -- thus seeking out any help before taking it to my mechanic and getting charged for finding & repairing the problem.

Just wondering if anyone out there has any suggestions/thoughts/comments/etc. as to what might be going on.

Thanks!
Old 06-22-2011, 06:39 PM
2015 Rogue

It's been a while since I worked on one of these but I think we used to see wires going to the pressure switch that would rub againt the radiator support.
ASE Master Certified.

Tags
air, conditioning, problem