Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2004 Xterra SE Antifreeze Smell Forums > > 2004 Xterra SE Antifreeze Smell 2004 Xterra SE Antifreeze Smell
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Xterra Nissan Xterra Discussion Forum

Old 04-01-2011, 11:47 AM
wsnelson

Default 2004 Xterra SE Antifreeze Smell

We have an 04 Xterra SE 4x4, and after driving it you can smell burning antifreeze. It has been going on now for a few months, Antifreeze is never more then a few quarts low when we check it, usually at every oil change. It never runs hot, we never have any puddles under it, and there is no oil in the water. I am leaning towards intake manifold gaskets, but was wondering if anyone has run into this issue before? Also am I headed in the right direction? About how long would this take if I take it to the dealer, or is it something that I could do at home? I went to tech school for GM and worked as a mechanic until a few years ago.

Thank you
Scott
Old 04-01-2011, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

I suggest performing a coolant system pressure test, I never seen a leaking intake manifold gasket causing a coolant leak on the Xterra.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:24 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Xterra

you might need to replace the radiator cap and reservour caps with oem nissan part. you might also check your heater core line that connects at the engine firewall area/cab
Old 04-05-2011, 07:02 AM
KMQ

Default antifreeze leak

Hi Scott,

I had the same thing going on my '03 xterra SE 4x4 until a couple of months ago when I finally took it to the shop. It turns out it was the intake manifold gaskets as well as a few small hoses that needed replacing. Check on top of the manifold and see if you notice some coolant pooling up there. I would recommend having a trusted mechanic take care of the fix. My mechanic was quite frustrated after the job and it took him an entire days work to complete it. Now, it seems I've got a new coolant leak that I'm getting checked out on Thursday. From what I've read, it seems to be a leak from the wax pellet in the throttle body and just requires a new o-ring gasket. At least I hope this is all it is. She's got 91k on it and I hope to run it another 91k or so but lately the cooling system has caused nothing but problems.

Kendal
Old 04-24-2011, 05:59 PM
xterragrl04

I had a antifreeze smell on mine, it never got to a point that was low, but once i replaced the water pump the smell was gone.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:29 AM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

First off you stated that it's a few quarts low between oil changes so the question is where is it going? As NissanTech stated you need to preform a coolant pressure test.Also there is a small hole on the bottom of the water pump [tattle-tail] to let you know the the pump is going bad so check that also.

Tags
2004, antifreeze, smell, xterra