Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Check Engine Codes P0505 and P0325. Forums > > Check Engine Codes P0505 and P0325. Check Engine Codes P0505 and P0325.
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Xterra Nissan Xterra Discussion Forum

Old 10-14-2010, 06:43 PM
blackxterra

Default Check Engine Codes P0505 and P0325.

Re: 2000 Xterra with VG33E engine.

I just finished replacing the valve cover gasket on the driver's side. On the second crankup, after I got everything back together, the check engine light (or service engine soon light) came on. Code reader shows P0505 (Idle Control System) and P0325 (Knock Sensor Bank 1 or Single Sensor). The light has since been turned off twice and always come back on with the second crankup.
I was very careful to make sure all hoses and electrial connections were properly reattached. What could the problem be? The plenum gasket appeared to be ok so I reused it. Could that result in these 2 codes showing up? There does not appear to be any vacuum leaks anywhere.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

The P0325 for the knock sensor probably was there even before you replaced the valve cover. For the P0505 code, which is the one that is triggering the engine light, you should try adjusting the engine idle. If the idle is OK then you probably have an intake air leak.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:04 PM
westcoast

had the exact same problem after doing valve cover gaskets. found the brown electrical connector that goes to the idle air control valve which is located on the firewall side underneath the intake manifold had a poor connection. make sure connector is all the way in.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:29 PM
2000 Frontier
2000 Frontier

same prob westcoast, did you really take everything apart to get to the connector? I do NOT want to have to undo everything again to check it...?
Old 09-11-2012, 11:58 AM
2000 Xterra

Smile The Solution

Westcoast is 100% correct! As for the knock sensor code being there prior that is incorrect. It is simply compensating for the out of wack idle brought on by the poor connection of the IAC valve. I actually just replaced both driver and passenger side valve cover gaskets as well as the upper intake manifold gasket on my V6 2000 Nissan Xterra. I encountered the same exact engine codes after putting everything back together and the SUV wouldn't start. The "service engine soon" light remained on constant. So I reached around to the underside of the intake manifold near the firewall and pushed the Idle Air Control connector into the socket with ALL my strength. Apparently when you think that sucker is really plugged in it just needs a ton more pressure to truly snap into place. It's in a very awkward spot but you can reach it without taking anything off from the driver side fender. I hope this helps anyone that runs into this problem in the future! Best of luck peeps! (PS there's no need to go replacing either the knock sensor or IAC valve if this situation happens to you)
Old 06-06-2016, 07:23 PM
2001 Xterra

These 2 codes popped when I did the VCG's. I put everything back together and the red plug in the middle behind the upper intake plenum wasn't pushed all the way in. The gray plug next to it was easy but had to reach back and squeeze it hard. Used a little pb blaster on it to help it slide right on.

Tags
check, codes, engine, p0325, p0505