Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
4.0 Liter engines in Xterra and frontiers Forums > > 4.0 Liter engines in Xterra and frontiers 4.0 Liter engines in Xterra and frontiers
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Xterra Nissan Xterra Discussion Forum

Old 11-08-2006, 10:31 AM
wcfields

Default 4.0 Liter engines in Xterra and frontiers

I have heard that nissan has a problem with the 4.0 liter engines timing chain componets. The componets are falling apart. Can any one shade some light on this problem?
Old 11-08-2006, 03:31 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Frontier Crew Cab
2012 GTR
2004 s/c 4x4 frontier

thats news to me. i have'nt seen any problems with the timing components on these engines. maybe someone else on here has?
Old 11-14-2006, 07:45 AM
wcfields

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre351 View Post
thats news to me. i have'nt seen any problems with the timing components on these engines. maybe someone else on here has?
I have done more research and looks like those 4.0 liter engines are having lubrication problems as well. I belive the lubrication problem comes from irregular wear of the internal componets in the engines.

Last edited by wcfields; 11-15-2006 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Add to explanation
Old 11-14-2006, 03:56 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Frontier Crew Cab
2012 GTR
2004 s/c 4x4 frontier

wow. have not seen any probs yet. only thing i have seen is the power valve in the intake rattle but that is not a serious problem. would like to hear more about this.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:09 PM
2015 Rogue

The timing chain setup on the 4.0L should be the same as the 3.5L which had very few mechanical problems.I have not seen any engine problems at all with them so far.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:03 PM
wcfields

The timing chains has rub through the tensioners and plungers. Have paperwork to back this statement up.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:02 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Frontier Crew Cab
2012 GTR
2004 s/c 4x4 frontier

i would like to see the paperwork. because we see these vehicles everyday. i probably work on 6 or 7 for various service work everyday and i have not seen any problems of this sort. but if this is a problem i would like to know more about it.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:17 AM
wcfields

Default 05 Xterra Timing Chain

Give me your contact info and I will contact you.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:56 PM
SlingshotSEO

My 2005 Xterra's engine is knocking (32k miles). Would this timing issue be related? I just paid to have my serpentine belt and tensioner replaced as it was squeaking really loud in the mornings on start-up. The only time the engine knock goes away is when I turn my stereo up really loud, but I don't think that's a permanent fix. :) My first oil change was at 1000 miles and everything has been synthetic. I've also used 89 octane fuel with the occasional premium fill up.

I'm also concerned about the extremely high rev on start-up. This is the highest revving engine on start up of any of the 10 vehicles I've owned. This can not be good long term for engine wear. Can this be adjusted, or does anyone have a suggestion to protect the engine? Lucas oil additives? K&N oil filter?

Last edited by SlingshotSEO; 12-21-2007 at 09:59 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:56 AM
nimnifnof

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcfields View Post
I have heard that nissan has a problem with the 4.0 liter engines timing chain componets. The componets are falling apart. Can any one shade some light on this problem?
Yawn.

I have seen or heard of a major rash of timing chain issues on this engine design. Being on several other xterra/frontier sites I don't see anyone else with this issue.

Why do you keep bringing this non-issue up all the time?
05 xterra whinning noise
http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/front...ery-store.html
2005 Xterra
05 xterra timing chain issue.
Xterra Questions.
2005 Engine knock?

Your claimed issues with your trucks:
-timing chains
-exhaust manifolds
-vacuum leaks
-bad tires
-suspension clunking
-leaking seals
-inoperative gauges

You say your a loyal Nissan owner for over 20-yrs, but you sure seem adamant about filing complaints against them and finding a reason to sue them. Like you said, these trucks are mass produced, your gonna get a lemon every now and then. You got it, get over it, get rid of it and move on. It's like you have a twisted case of munchausen's syndrome, except toward your vehicles. lol

To date, my 06 X with 38,000-miles has been flawless, not a single issue I can think of.

Last edited by nimnifnof; 02-03-2008 at 10:12 AM.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:30 AM
hendrix89

Some people are never satisfied....... We do not have problems!! ....There is the Ford, spark plug problems with th 4.6 and the 5.4 ...The spark plug would shoot thru the hood... The fix: new heads!! Bottom line: Nissan is a good product
Old 05-07-2009, 05:50 PM
agingtech

i have owned 2 nissans with the the vq engines one 3.5 and ond 4.0 and i admit that they are not a quiet engine but as far as having issues i have not seen one yet.I am a licensed tech with over 20yrs exp and i drive nissans (does that tell you anything).
Old 06-08-2009, 04:11 PM
Scott Smith

Default Timing chain tensioner problem

My 05 exterra has had timing chains and tensioners replaced at 20,000 miles and at 53,000 miles. There is a problem and Nissan supposedly has an updated tensioner setup as of april 2009. I hope this one works as I suspect the next time I will be out of warranty.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:49 PM
craig o. dorius

Quote:
Originally Posted by agingtech View Post
i have owned 2 nissans with the the vq engines one 3.5 and ond 4.0 and i admit that they are not a quiet engine but as far as having issues i have not seen one yet.I am a licensed tech with over 20yrs exp and i drive nissans (does that tell you anything).
how many miles are on your vqs'? i have a 2010 frontier and after reading all this stuff i am a little worried i will have a problem
Old 10-21-2010, 07:07 PM
kayzack519

I just had my tensioners replaced. Apparently what happens when they go bad, the engine makes a very annoying whining sound. It will not go away until replaced. Im no technician but my service advisor told me they used plastic tensioners. They wear out or break causing the sound. Motors are covered under powertrain until 60k. No cost repair. Tensioners are replaced with a teflon tensioner. Parts/ labor covered fo 12month/ 12k miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcfields View Post

Tags
engines, frontiers, liter, xterra