Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
4.0 Liter engines in Xterra and frontiers Forums > > 4.0 Liter engines in Xterra and frontiers 4.0 Liter engines in Xterra and frontiers
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Xterra Nissan Xterra Discussion Forum

Old 10-21-2010, 07:41 PM
craig o. dorius

what year is you truck. i have a 2010 and as far as i have read nissan acknowledged the problem as of 08 and the 09-10 vq4.0 have the new teflon tensioner. i just wanted to confirm that but no body can give a definite answer
Old 10-21-2010, 07:59 PM
kayzack519

the tensioners were done, its the rear im having trouble with.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:01 AM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

My 05 has over 75k of hard driving,off road,towing a boat and 19ft.camper. But the bottom line is it's been a great truck. People still say how quiet it sounds when they ride in it. Has there been any issues? Yes. Has it left me on the side of the road? No. I have owned nothing but Nissans as far back too when they were called Datsuns. Not one has left me or my family on the side of the road.It's amazes me to hear people bad mouth a product(Nissan)Just because of a one time problem or such.If you don't like what you drive then may i suggest you go and buy a Dodge.That should give you something to really ***** about.I now work in the automotive aftermark and let me assure you we move more repair parts to the Chevy,Ford and Dodge people than anything else.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:09 AM
kayzack519

Well, good for you. I had a Toyota 4runner that was showing some age. It was 16 yrs old and had no problems except for little things(bushings, rattles,etc). I bought this because i have a Nissan Maxima which is a great car. Thinking that Nissan has ALWAYS made a great product, i continued to buy another one only to be diappointed. When you pay close to twenty thousand dollars for something, you expect it to work. This was a one owners vehicle with every service record including the window sticker. It was not abused and for this much sh*t to be wrong it, i have a good fuckng reason to be mad. Why dont you go buy a Dodge. Im loyal to foreign cars, its all ive owned and all that ill buy. I came on here looking for help, not to get smart as* replies. You act like i came on here saying Nissan is junk, not the case. I said their quality isnt the same as it was. And by the way, i am old enough to know what a Datsun is, my dad had one which i wish he kept. It was an awesome sports car.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:17 AM
kevinpatrick

Hi
My xteera had this problem at 68,000 miles it had a whine at 2,000
rpm I went to the dealer and they said it was the timing chain I was
bent the reason I went with the nissan was they went from a belt to
a chain set up.the problem is that the upper 2 tensioners wear out and
the pin in the center wears through and then contacts the chain and
makes the whining noise the dealer said it would cost 1,700 dollars to
repair nissan north America would only cover the parts and the labor
was still a 1,000 dollars. If you are handy you can replace the upper
tensioners yourself it takes about 7 hours.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:23 AM
kayzack519

yeah, i got mine replaced under warranty. Then the rear went and they replaced the entire rear and rotors and brakes. This truck has some major issues but Nissan gave me no problem with replacement.

Tags
engines, frontiers, liter, xterra