Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2005 Xterra transmission Forums > > 2005 Xterra transmission 2005 Xterra transmission
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Xterra Nissan Xterra Discussion Forum

Old 04-18-2010, 11:27 AM
patkins

Default 2005 Xterra transmission

Took my 2005 Xterra to dealer to check out shifting/noise/vibrations when driving over 40 MPH. I was told that the transmission is shot, antifreeze was in the transmission fluid. This seems to be a problem with this year/model from what I read on this site and others. I've got over 95K miles so the drive train warranty won't help. Looks like I'm in for $4K to replace unless there's a cheaper alternative or I can get Nissan to give me a break (LOL).

Also to add to it all they told me that one of the catalytic converters needs to be replace for another $1400. Seems kind of pricey. Are they that difficult to replace, I priced the parts at approx. $300-600 depending on after market or dealer.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:34 AM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

If in fact the transmission is damaged you will also need to replace the radiator.As for the cat i would take it to any good muffler shop and save a ton of money.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:02 PM
2005 Xterra

i have mine replace last week with the same issue but the only thing is i did not spen $4k nor took my car to the dealer HELL NO!!!! i took the car to a small show who does transmission and only cost me half not only that they determined the problem right away with out telling them... same like i'd said the antifreeze from radiator got the valve body wet and with that said the 1st and 2nd gear wont shift... just a friendly Xterra user suggestion do not have them changed what they told you to change they just want to make money... what my mechanic did was he install transmission cooler routing it from the radiator and replace the valve body with the right parts make sure suggested part thru your VIN of the car not by guessing, he also rebuild and replace transmission parts like torque converter and now my Xterra is pretty much re birth i'm glad i didn't do it to dealer who would charge me my arm and legs maybe half of my brain LOL im just happy she back on the road... thanks hope this help..
Old 05-09-2011, 02:02 PM
lenders6

Hello, I noticed the problem you were experiencing is exactly what I am going through now. I just had a new catalytic converted installed a couple of weeks ago, now I am getting a Misfire Code? My xterra looses power when going up on an incline while driving. I'm being told that I also need a new transmission..what did you end up doing?
Old 09-27-2011, 07:05 PM
Jamieboss

Does anyone know if this issue affects 2005 Xterras with manual transmissions?
Old 09-28-2011, 02:31 AM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamieboss View Post
Does anyone know if this issue affects 2005 Xterras with manual transmissions?
It does not affect the manual transmission,
ASE Master Certified.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:09 PM
Enthusiast
2005 Xterra
2006 Altima
2005 Xterra

How many miles are on your vehicles? Are there any after market trans coolers and radiators that are separate? An all aluminum radiator would be a nice upgrade.

Tags
2005, transmission, xterra