Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
05 xterra timing chain issue. Forums > > 05 xterra timing chain issue. 05 xterra timing chain issue.
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Xterra Nissan Xterra Discussion Forum

Old 04-13-2009, 04:00 AM
xmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajaeboy View Post
I purchaced my xterra new and had this rattle noise since i drove it off the lot only when i was giong up hill at first ,took it to the dealer several times and the noise could not be found every year noise got worse but dealer could not hear this noise, but documented it.
now my nissan has this problem almost always when around 2200-2400rpms took it in again and they could hear this loud noise it is something to do with timing chain they will take it apart next week should this be a recall since so many are having the same issues?
Any updates on this RAJAEBOY? You seem to be describing my problem! Mine is going to the shop this week for the airbag sensor recall and I want them to have an other look at this noise...
Max
Old 09-14-2009, 03:32 AM
kepeterson

Default 05 Altima with timing chain problem

Nissan should be covering these costs. My 05 has 69000 miles which makes it 9000 past warranty. The noise has just developed. It is a common problem and it is NISSAN craftsmanship that caused the problem. Nissan has a service bulletin on it but NO RECALL. As has been stated it is too costly. The cheapest estimate I have so far is $1300

Maybe a class action lawsuit is in order.
Old 09-20-2009, 06:04 AM
2005 Xterra

My experience with the engine noise with my 05 Xterra with 65,000 mi (out of warrantee) went like this, I called a couple of local dealerships in the area, I described the noise, the Nissan Service Bulletin, and asked how much it would cost to do the repair. Town Center Nissan in Kennesaw, Georgia told me it would cost approximately $2,150 to accomplish the S.B, and Regal Nissan in Roswell, GA estimated the repair at $1500. I then called Nissan Customer Affairs (1-800-NISSAN1) and in a calm/diplomatic way told them how I felt about my “just out of warrantee” Xterra requiring a $2,150 repair that Nilsson knew was a problem. The very helpful representative documented my complaint and all the information over the phone and suggested I bring my vehicle to one of their dealerships. Knowing I was going to have to have the work done either way I called the Regal Nissan service department back and told them I had talked to Nissan Customer Affairs. Regal Nissan asked for the Customer Affairs ticket number and told me they would get back with me after they had a chance to talk to their regional manager and Nissan. A couple of days later I received a phone call from Regal Nissan informing me the repair was going to be covered and asked me when I could bring it in. Some factors that may have resulted in the outcome of all this could have been, we were the original owners and purchased the Xterra form Regal Nissan and we had the dealership do the regular oil changes. I’m not sure, I didn’t ask. I am of coarse very happy with the way my situation turned out and with the way Nissan stood behind their product. Kudos also go out to Regal Nissan for taking such good care of us. We did have the serpentine belt and tensioner replaced while it was there and paid for that, but that type of maintenance is expected and understandable.
I wish anyone going through this luck. I didn’t know what the outcome was going to be until I actually got the phone call notifying me Nissan was going to cover all the parts and labor. Be persistent and patient.
NTB07-042a
ALL NISSAN MODELS WITH VQ ENGINE; BUZZING / WHINING NOISE FROM TIMING CHAIN AREA

Last edited by TRD; 09-20-2009 at 06:16 AM.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:21 PM
neversummer

TRD,

I wish I could say that I have had as much luck as you! I have been diagnosed with this exact problem: timing chain whine and it is getting worse. Both a Nissan Dealer and an independent mechanic have confirmed the problem. I am at 62,000 miles, 2,000 miles out of Powertrain warranty. I filed a complaint with Nissanhelp and was forwarded to the Nissan Regional manager to process my claim. They just called back to tell me that there was ""nothing they could do" to help.

Needless to say, I am very frustrated that Nissan will not take responsibility here. I forgot to mention that this exact repair was done under warranty in 2007 (by previous owner) at another NIssan dealership. And now it is a problem again after I have run our of warranty.

Anyone who has suggestions, I would very much appreciate it. Thanks
Old 09-22-2009, 02:20 PM
Enthusiast

2005 Xterra

This may be a dumb question but, did you mention to Nisssan that the repair had been done once already just 2 years ago? If that doesn't work, there is the Bureau of Automotive Repair that is run by the state. That is what we have in California, I don't know what they would call it in your state. Good luck.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:22 AM
neversummer

After many days of back and forth with Nissan Corporate, who denied my claim for an out of warranty repair for the Timing Chain issue, I finally went to my local dealer service manager and presented my entire case. Without issue, he made some calls to Nissan and informed me that the $2100 repair would be covered entirely by Nissan.

I am very grateful, but also a bit worried, since this is the 2nd time the timing chain has been replaced on my vehicle and I fear it might go out again. I have heard that nissan is doing the repair with the old defective parts and have not re-engineered them, which leads me to believe it could fail again.

To those who are hearing a rattle noise at 2200 RPM, this problem is well documented and there is a relatively easy repair involving epoxying a plastic piece in the intake manifold collector. There is a Nissan issued TSB and the title is: Rattle Noise From VIAS Power Valve Actuator / Intake Manifold Collector.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:07 AM
BJC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcfields View Post
Has any one come across a timing chain issues. It seems that I came across where the timing chain tensiors have worn out completely. Looking for input thank you for your input.
I have an '05 with 78K miles. Just came back from the dealer for a U-joint replacement and they said they noticed a high-pitched whine. I, too, had noticed this for several thousand miles and didn't think too much of it because its really not that bad. They said they can fix it (replace both the primary and secondary chians) for $2800. Will the service bulletin give me any leverage, or is that dealer specific? Thanks.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:00 PM
Carzzz

Does the high pitch noise sounds like this?
YouTube - Nissan Quest VQ35DE whistling
Old 02-10-2010, 09:00 AM
BJC

Similar, but it is a constant noise. The you tube noise was a but more "rattle-ish" and sporadic. Its a high-frequency squeal (not as pronounced as a serp. belt squeal) and at idle you really can't hear it much. Once the RPMs go up, the noise is more pronounced. With the radio on I can't hear it but if its off, you definitely notice it. Bottom line: I'm not dropping $3Gs to get it fixed. I thought the point of having a timing chain was so you don't have to get the timing belt replaced. How can a chain go bad?? Yeah, its annoying and I'd like to get it fixed but its not $3000 annoying. That's why I was curious to see if anyone had a good experience with just a service bulletin.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:45 PM
Carzzz

thanks for the reply
I do agree if there is no problem, chain is better!
But if there is problem, chain is extremely pricy to fix...
It is rare to get a brand new car with still has timing belt nowadays...
Old 02-18-2010, 06:35 PM
dale51

i have a 2001 xterra, going down the road it lost power, then shut off and would not start, took the distributer cap off and it would not spin when cranked over. was told the timing chain was broken and the motor was a "0 clearance motor" and that the motor was shot because the piston heads hit the valves and bend them, need to know how true this is because there was no noise from the motor sounding like metal hitting metal
Old 03-17-2010, 05:28 PM
omar12gauge

unfortuantely my mechanic said it was true, if your engine cratered like yours it means you are in the deepest end of the pookie pit. LOTS of money. I had a timing belt replaced with tensioner at 100,000 miles. Costly but luckily I changed it before it broke. I do not have a chain. Mine is a 3.3L V6 (2002).

Last edited by omar12gauge; 03-17-2010 at 05:31 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:30 PM
omar12gauge

It is one of those "pay me now or pay later" situations. The replacement belt an tensioner labor is high to replace as a precaution but I guess it could be worse. Sorry for ur problem, I feel your pain.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:44 AM
thomasmcavoy

I purchased my '05 X-Terra new back in 2005 and the whining noise from the timing chain started just about the time we had 60,000 miles on the vehicle. I paid $1,100 to have it fixed by a local garage. The dealership wanted $1,500. Since there is no recall on this issue (and after reading all the posts regarding the timing chain, it clearly is an issue), the dealership couldn't cover the costs of the repair. The dealership told me to call 800-NISSAN-1 in order to find out if someone higher up would address my grievance. I'm still working on that process. It's just frustrating to see that so many people have had this systemic problem, and yet Nissan still won't fix it.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:44 PM
dale51

I have a 2000 xterra also had to replace the timing belt I have talked to many garage's about this and them all recommend that you replace the timing belt and idler arm between 80,000 and 100,000 miles if it breaks will going down the road it may cause valve damage and piston damage. I got lucky and didnt have to replace valve,s or head's, We put the timing belt and replaced the idler pully and took a compression test and leak down test and it was with in the limits so We got away with about 400.00 total but We did most all of the work using a chilton's manuel.

Tags
chain, issue, timing, xterra