Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
05 xterra timing chain issue. Forums > > 05 xterra timing chain issue. 05 xterra timing chain issue.
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Xterra Nissan Xterra Discussion Forum

Old 10-01-2006, 06:48 PM
wcfields

Default 05 xterra timing chain issue.

Has any one come across a timing chain issues. It seems that I came across where the timing chain tensiors have worn out completely. Looking for input thank you for your input.
Old 10-01-2006, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Hello!

What makes you think the tensioners are bad? Do you have a noise problem? If that is the case there is a bulletin for a rattle noise:

Service Bulletins Nissan Cars
Old 10-05-2006, 12:33 PM
wcfields

The dealer that is doing the repairs show me the problems with the tensioners and the guides and the timing chains and other componets.
I have own 10 nissan trucks and cars and I had great luck with them until now. Thank You for your reply.

WC Fields

Last edited by wcfields; 10-05-2006 at 12:33 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-05-2007, 10:12 AM
Enthusiast

2005 Xterra

My 2005 w/30,000 miles is in the shop now for a new timing chain tensioner.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:09 AM
Calvin1962

Default timing chain noise

Hi,

are all your issues with the 3.5 OHC six? I have a 2004 Quest with the dme rattling noise coming from the timing compartment. I popped the cover over the main tensioner and found it was fully extended and riding on the nylon cover over the cahin guide rather than the base metal. I replaced the tensioner and reassembled, but the noise remains. I have read some posts around that indicate failure of the secondary chain tensioners and issues with the cam gear it is driving. Anyone else?
Old 11-12-2007, 04:53 AM
Enthusiast

2005 Xterra

Quote:
Originally Posted by NissanTech View Post
Hello!

What makes you think the tensioners are bad? Do you have a noise problem? If that is the case there is a bulletin for a rattle noise:

Service Bulletins Nissan Cars

It is still under warranty so I took it to the Dealer and they diagnosed it. They replaced both secondary timing chains and the tensioners, now the noise is gone. The service writer told me that there was a TSB concerning this issue. I'm not sure, but part of the problem might be that upon start-up the engine RPM gets very high before the oil has a chance to come to pressure. I will probably install a pre-oiler to remedy the dry start.

Last edited by RCHarrison; 11-21-2007 at 09:07 AM.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:39 AM
Enthusiast

2005 Xterra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin1962 View Post
Hi,

are all your issues with the 3.5 OHC six? I have a 2004 Quest with the dme rattling noise coming from the timing compartment.
I have the 4.0 liter V6 in my 2005 xterra, but it may be similar design.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:30 PM
SlingshotSEO

I have a slight engine knock and I'm wondering if it relates to this timing issue. I have a 2005 Xterra with about 32k miles on it. I noticed the extremely high rev at startup when I first purchased my Xterra. Will this end up shortening the engine life?
Old 01-07-2008, 05:24 AM
Enthusiast

2005 Xterra

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingshotSEO View Post
I have a slight engine knock and I'm wondering if it relates to this timing issue. I have a 2005 Xterra with about 32k miles on it. I noticed the extremely high rev at startup when I first purchased my Xterra. Will this end up shortening the engine life?
I talked to the dealer about the high rev on start up, he said there is nothing to fix it. I added a pre-oiler so at least it won't start dry. I don't hear the knocking sound I used to after adding it, but I need to find a bottle larger than 20 oz. to store the oil.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:04 AM
hendrix89

where did you get the pre-oiler for your Xterra?
Old 02-26-2008, 05:31 AM
Enthusiast

2005 Xterra

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrix89 View Post
where did you get the pre-oiler for your Xterra?
I put together my own from parts I found, but it was a PITA. In 20/20 hind sight I should have just bought it from here. Good luck.

http://www.autoenginelube.com/
Old 02-26-2008, 05:37 AM
hendrix89

ok, sounds realy easy.....where is the oil sender on our trucks (Xterra)???
Old 02-26-2008, 06:12 AM
Enthusiast

2005 Xterra

Quote:
ok, sounds realy easy.....where is the oil sender on our trucks (Xterra)???
If you crawl underneath on the passenger side you will see the oil pressure sensor protruding. If you were to draw a line, it would be in line with the oil filter, almost right under the alternator. The thread size is 1/4 NPT. You can "T" it off from that. I took some pictures, I will try to load them when I get a chance or I can e-mail them to you.

Last edited by RCHarrison; 03-05-2009 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:08 AM
hendrix89

thanks, need to find out where to run the lines for my pre-oiler
Old 02-26-2008, 09:26 AM
Enthusiast

2005 Xterra

Quote:
thanks, need to find out where to run the lines for my pre-oiler
The way I ran mine is; I came off straight off the "T" looped it under the oil filter (Oil cooler body) along that frame to the driver's side of the radiator, fastening with zip ties. There next to the radiator you will find a support that can hold your bottle, right next to the air box. I could not find any other place where it might fit because of how packed the engine compartment is.

Tags
chain, issue, timing, xterra