Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
04 Xterra Overheating Forums > > 04 Xterra Overheating 04 Xterra Overheating
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Xterra Nissan Xterra Discussion Forum

Old 02-15-2010, 06:13 AM
jonkyle

Default 04 Xterra Overheating

Ive got an 04 Xterra that this summer began showing on the thermostat on the dash that it was overheating while idling in traffic, but would the needle would go back to normal once I resumed driving. Ive read a lot on how to fix that, but Im past that now. I ignored it, as my car never actually overheated, and well..because I was stupid. I got regular oil changes, and figured if they didnt say anything was wrong I was good to go. This winter the needle has stayed in the overheated area after about 5-10 minutes of driving. If i didnt let it run for 5-10 minutes before driving when it was really cold outside, it would die at the first time I came to a stop. Still, no problems other than that so far. However last night, while driving on the highway, the car started lurching or jerking every time i hit the gas pedal. I pulled over, turned the car off and started it back up, and went about half a mile before it happened again. I did the same thing, and then kept the car at about 55 miles the rest of the way on the highway, and then had no problems on city streets. About an hour later I drove it again, and it started doing it at 20 miles an hour. At a stop light i put the car in park, and the engine revved up to about 3000 rpms. I drove back home with this problem, the only way i could even get up to speed was to let off the gas and then re applying the gas and slowly building up speed. Finally right before I got home, steam started coming out from under the hood, I managed to make it home, and once the car cooled down I opened up the hood, and there was a grayish goo-like substance on the hose right next to the radiator cap. The cap was still securely on though. I'd appreciate any advice on what I can do.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:19 PM
2015 Rogue

With the vehicle running hot for that long there is a good chance that you have done damage. You may have been losing coolant which was causing the vehicle to run hot. Overheating an engine with aluminum cylinder heads can cause the heads to warp.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:20 PM
jonkyle

yeah, you were pretty much dead on. Just took it in to the shop, the radiator was leaking anti-freeze, plus a slew of other problems....wont be ignoring that again

Tags
overheating, xterra