Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Strange Problem Forums > > > Strange Problem Strange Problem
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 01-08-2007, 06:37 PM
XSUR

Default Strange Problem

I own a 2005 X-Trail with 33000 KMs. A month ago, it started making a strange sound coming from the front end while I drive on the highway. It doesn't last very long. Nissan couldn't determine the problem because it is sporadic.

Last week I noticed that the front driver's side rim gets hot after driving the car on the highway. If it's driven in the city, the same rim gets warm. All other rims remain cold. The driver's side rotor is discolored (redish) and the others are fine. I took it to Nissan again and was told I need new rotors and break pads. The technician said the calipers are fine. I have never had to replace rotors (or even break pads) this soon. Does anyone have any idea what would cause this pre-mature ware? Will replacing the rotors and break pads fix the problem with the driver's side rotor heating?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:28 AM
claudi

It would be my guess that the calipers are binding on that wheel which is causing the brake pads to contact the disc face with more than the normal pressure which is causing the heat build up. If this pad is worn far more than the off side pad, then this would be sufficient evidence. Cure is to strip capliers and ensure pots are moving freely in the housing - would guess they are sticking and not returning to the normal position after braking

Tags
problem, strange