Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Startup Thump at 18-20 MPH Forums > > Startup Thump at 18-20 MPH Startup Thump at 18-20 MPH
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Versa Nissan Versa Discussion Forum

Old 07-31-2009, 04:00 PM
Enthusiast
2009 Versa

Default Startup Thump at 18-20 MPH

My 2009 Versa S with 5000 miles continues to make a brief thumping sound every time I start up and accelerate slowly through the 18-20 mph zone in second or third gear. It only does it once and will not do it again unless the car is parked for 30 minutes or more. I suspect it is the tires (ContiProContacT) since I see they have nylon cords rather than polyester cords. I just rotated the tires at 5000 miles hoping the sound would change, however, it made no difference. I am curious if others notice this brief slight thumping after the car has been parked for more than 30 minutes as they begin to move and go through the 18-20 mph range for the first time.

Thanks,
Frank
09 Versa S M6 with 5000 mi
Old 08-01-2009, 10:32 AM
Enthusiast
2005 Altima
2007 Versa
2007 versa

If you have abs it is most likely the abs system doing self diagnosis.It is most likely nothing to worry about.
Old 08-01-2009, 03:32 PM
Enthusiast
2009 Versa

Quote:
Originally Posted by nistec View Post
If you have abs it is most likely the abs system doing self diagnosis.It is most likely nothing to worry about.
Thank you.

Yes I do have ABS and that explains why it only dioes it once briefly the first time I go through the 18-20 mph and I could not repeat it if I slowed down and went up through 18-20 mph. I am glad to know it is normal.

Frank
Old 09-30-2009, 02:40 PM
2009 Cube

I have a 2009 Cube with 1000kms (based on Versa chasis, engine, transmission, etc). I have been experiencing the same noise when at low rpms in second gear. Always in the morning after it has been sitting overnight. Further, it always comes from the front right passenger side. Haven't noticed it at other points in the day because my wife usually drives it. Seems strange that the ABS would have to recalibrate like this. I have owned many vehicles with ABS and have never heard of or experienced this. Maybe its because ths is the first one with really poor sound proofing agaisnt road/engine noise.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:40 PM
Enthusiast
2009 Versa

It is interesting that the first time through 19 MPH each time I start the car I hear the ABS calibrating and it sound to me like a flat tire thump coming from the front right. I agree with you that other vehicles have not done it. I noticed that the ABS module appears to be mounted to the engine firewall in front of the passenger side and thus transmits the vibrations easier into the passenger compartment. It appears in any gear, even in neutral coasting down a hill as soon as I get to 19 MPH. It bothered me at the beginning because I thought it was a problem or defect.

Frank
09 Versa sedan MT-6 (34.7 MPG average over 7100 miles)
Old 01-30-2010, 09:16 PM
stalionnnnn

How come other cars have ABS and you do not hear this cluncking noise?
Old 01-31-2010, 06:38 AM
Enthusiast
2009 Versa

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalionnnnn View Post
The noise or sound is faint and you have to be paying attention. It is easier to hear if you accelerate slowly.

Francesco
Old 01-31-2010, 06:42 AM
Enthusiast
2009 Versa

Quote:
You are right about not hearing it on other cars. I have only heard it on my Versa and I don't have a clue why Nissan has a unique calibration method. Maybe the sound is heard because the ABS unit appears to be mounted to the firewall in front of the passenger side whereas other vehicles do not have it attached to the firewall so it transmits the sound into the passenger compartment.

Francesco
Old 01-31-2010, 06:42 AM
kr4va12

the ABS noise is more common than not,, even though my 07 does not do it all the time.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:32 AM
stalionnnnn

I just had my actuator replaced in my 2010 Versa and I can hear a second series of cluncking noises comming from the actuator, I am not sure the actuator is supposed to make a second series of noises during the same trip. The second series of noises coming from the actuator is not loud, but I can hear a second series of clunking.

Last edited by stalionnnnn; 01-31-2010 at 07:39 AM.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:23 AM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
I just had my actuator replaced in my 2010 Versa and I can hear a second series of cluncking noises comming from the actuator, I am not sure the actuator is supposed to make a second series of noises during the same trip. The second series of noises coming from the actuator is not loud, but I can hear a second series of clunking.
It is normal to hear 2 noises from the abs. The system runs a self check on startup and again when the car starts moving.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:16 AM
2009 Cube

Bought a new Ford Ranger and it makes the exact same thumping noise as my Nissan Cube. WTF, don't the Service Centres at the dealerships know this? Seems to be a pretty common complaint. When I asked about it they gave me a blank look and said they had no idea what I was talking about. The response I got back (from both Ford and Nissan mechanics) was blah blah blah "No such thing as ABS calibration". Isn't there a database that they look crap up in? If the customer complains about thumping noise from right passenger side of engine compartment then it is most likely one of these scenarios ...
Old 07-26-2012, 02:31 PM
2011 Versa

There is no calibration in a abs module. The variables and rates are all constants. Pressure is usually the function that is performed by the computer. Like how hard the pedal is pushed and how the abs reacts to that.

There is an ABS "diagnostic because" the obd computer is tied into it or its a seperate computer. I dont remember on the versa.

all cars with different setups or parts will have different behavior. The versa makes the thump for a reason. It could be the ABS pump cycling to circulate fluid like some cars. Or it could be getting information because of a fairly live updated system. The reason it happens when it happens is because 99.99% of the time the car will hit that speed one or twice though out its trip.

My versa has no abs and its the 4-speed and ive never heard a thump so its the ABS for sure but i dont think your gonna silence the noise cause its normal.

Tags
1820, mph, startup, thump