Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Oil Catch Cans.  Do they work?  Part 1 of 2 Forums > > Oil Catch Cans.  Do they work?  Part 1 of 2 Oil Catch Cans. Do they work? Part 1 of 2
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Titan Nissan Titan Discussion Forum

Old 09-27-2021, 01:51 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2017 Titan Crew Cab

Default Oil Catch Cans. Do they work? Part 1 of 2

After reading about the intake valve fouling of direct gas injection engines, I decided to install oil trap catch cans on my 2017 Titan to help minimize the carbon buildup on the backside of the intake valves, and to chemically treat and clean the valves after the install.
Researching this left me very disappointed with the videos and forums where the titles should have read: “Mom, look what I did!” I wanted this project to be clean, neat and with a “factory” look to overall appearance.
Before beginning this project, I attempted to find suitable locations for the mounting of the catch cans. The firewall and fender areas were either plastic or being used for other components, and the 5.6 L engine has two PCV valves, one for each bank. (photo 1)
The first location I looked at was to mount a aluminum “L” bracket to the plastic intake manifold under the engine cover and have the two cans suspended over the valve covers. However, the cans are heavy and I did not want to risk cracking and damaging the manifold from the engine vibration. (photo 2)
The second location was in the areas in front of and to the right and left of the upper radiator support crossmember which turned out to be ideal. (photos 3 and 4)
I purchased all of the following items from Amazon: two catch cans, one 2 inch x 4 ft x 1/8 inch thick aluminum sheet metal, 3/8 inch x 25 ft US made fuel/EEC hose, hose clamps, plastic conduit protectors. (paint and four metric sheet metal bolts I already had)
Using a vise, I bent the sheet metal so that it would easily fit in and out of the cutout areas and the cans could be uncrewed and emptied while still being mounted in the brackets making sure that nothing was rubbing or interfering with any other components. (photos 5 and 6)
The brackets were then attached to the crossmember using two sheet metal bolts for each can.
I routed the new PCV lines to the respective PCV valves and intake ports and then used the plastic conduit protectors to prevent chaffing, finally using wire tie wraps to secure the lines. (photos 7,8,9,10)
Once everything looked the way I wanted it, I disassembled the units, painted the brackets, and reinstalled the assemblies.
End of part 1 of 2
Part 2: using the CRC valve and turbo cleaner and servicing the catch cans.
Attached Thumbnails
Oil Catch Cans.  Do they work?  Part 1 of 2-photo-1-jpg   Oil Catch Cans.  Do they work?  Part 1 of 2-photo-2-jpg   Oil Catch Cans.  Do they work?  Part 1 of 2-photo-3-jpg   Oil Catch Cans.  Do they work?  Part 1 of 2-photo-4-jpg   Oil Catch Cans.  Do they work?  Part 1 of 2-photo-5-jpg   Oil Catch Cans.  Do they work?  Part 1 of 2-photo-6-jpg   Oil Catch Cans.  Do they work?  Part 1 of 2-photo-7-jpg   Oil Catch Cans.  Do they work?  Part 1 of 2-photo-8-jpg  

Oil Catch Cans.  Do they work?  Part 1 of 2-photo-9-jpg   Oil Catch Cans.  Do they work?  Part 1 of 2-photo-10-jpg  

Tags
cans, catch, oil, part, work