Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
VDC OFF, SLIP, ABS, 4WD, Brake lights on Forums > > VDC OFF, SLIP, ABS, 4WD, Brake lights on VDC OFF, SLIP, ABS, 4WD, Brake lights on
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Titan Nissan Titan Discussion Forum

Old 10-09-2007, 10:59 AM
hausherrs

Default VDC OFF, SLIP, ABS, 4WD, Brake lights on

My wife’s 04 Nissan Titan had a battery go bad so we swapped it out but the first go-round we got the wrong battery so we had to take it back. So the truck went without a battery for over 24 hours. Now there are several warning lights on. VDC Off, SLIP, ABS, come on right away and stay on. 4WD, and the brake light come on after driving for a while. Before the brake light comes on the speedometer displays about half of what the actual speed is. So if you are going 40 the speedo only displays that you are going 20. Once the brake light comes on it corrects its self. AND the radio is off and does not come on. I hooked up the battery correctly however it is not an exact fit. It’s a little smaller. We needed to get the truck running fast so we got the non-4wd version of the titan battery. I think we needed a 27 but got the 24.

I hear you have to get the ECU re-flashed when you leave the battery disconnected. Does this seem true?

Fluid is fine, and the brake pads have over 50% left. I think we have the brake judder issue that will be addressed this Thursday.

Last edited by hausherrs; 10-09-2007 at 11:01 AM. Reason: more info
Old 10-12-2007, 03:38 PM
Enthusiast

2005 Titan

Battery size will not make a different, I got a 24 also when I have the big tow package that came with the 27 size. As long as the spec on it is the same or greater than OEM.

Never heard of having to reflash the ECU if the battery is unhook.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:12 AM
hausherrs

Thumbs up I fixed it...

I took the truck to Nissan and had the codes read. Dealing with the dealership is a whole nother topic. It turns out that the two right ABS/Speed sensors were bad. There was a code stored in the ECM for each. The dealer wanted $450 to replace. I bought the two for $175 and it took me about 45 minutes to install. The rear was super easy. It took me longer to take the wheel off then the replace the sensor. The front was a bit tougher. I had to take off the rotor and caliper. I didn’t take the caliper off the rotor to keep the brake pads and hardware from falling out.

When I got it all put back together I took it for a test spin. All the lights in my previous post went out after about 10 seconds of driving. The stereo popped a fuse and seems to be fried. It comes on but there is no back light so you can’t see the display. Its aftermarket Nav so I have to send it to Pioneer to get it fixed. I put the stock RF back in and it works fine. Except the reception sucks like the service bulletin says.

For anyone else that might have this issue, I Put an ohm meter on the "Bad" sensors and they read 2M ohms. The new sensors read 2.2M ohms. That’s a 200,000 difference so I am assuming that’s significant enough -10%.

Now the rest of the story. While I was there I asked about the brake judder. They said that you only have 36 months and unlimited mileage. Its not 36 in addition to your standard 36. She said that the truck had been in for service to address the judder 3 times by the previous owner. I said "WOW sounds like a design flaw!" (Duh!).. And she said that they would not fix it "Again". So I called a Lemon Law attorney. I don’t want them to buy it back, I just want them to fix that issue every time it comes back. And compensate me for every trip to the dealer that I will have to make. Maybe I should ask for a fruit basket at every trip? Maybe some chocolates for my wife? ;o)

The previous owner had it in at 7k miles, 14k and 20k to have the brakes replaced. I now have 40k on it and my wife has been complaining about the brakes for the past 10k miles. I was going to order new rotors and install them myself but have been putting it off because the judder was slight, perhaps not bad enough to justify the 350+ for parts. Now I think its bad enough.

Message me with questions...
Old 10-13-2007, 08:00 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by hausherrs View Post
I took the truck to Nissan and had the codes read. Dealing with the dealership is a whole nother topic. It turns out that the two right ABS/Speed sensors were bad. There was a code stored in the ECM for each. The dealer wanted $450 to replace. I bought the two for $175 and it took me about 45 minutes to install. The rear was super easy. It took me longer to take the wheel off then the replace the sensor. The front was a bit tougher. I had to take off the rotor and caliper. I didn’t take the caliper off the rotor to keep the brake pads and hardware from falling out.

When I got it all put back together I took it for a test spin. All the lights in my previous post went out after about 10 seconds of driving. The stereo popped a fuse and seems to be fried. It comes on but there is no back light so you can’t see the display. Its aftermarket Nav so I have to send it to Pioneer to get it fixed. I put the stock RF back in and it works fine. Except the reception sucks like the service bulletin says.

For anyone else that might have this issue, I Put an ohm meter on the "Bad" sensors and they read 2M ohms. The new sensors read 2.2M ohms. That’s a 200,000 difference so I am assuming that’s significant enough -10%.

Now the rest of the story. While I was there I asked about the brake judder. They said that you only have 36 months and unlimited mileage. Its not 36 in addition to your standard 36. She said that the truck had been in for service to address the judder 3 times by the previous owner. I said "WOW sounds like a design flaw!" (Duh!).. And she said that they would not fix it "Again". So I called a Lemon Law attorney. I don’t want them to buy it back, I just want them to fix that issue every time it comes back. And compensate me for every trip to the dealer that I will have to make. Maybe I should ask for a fruit basket at every trip? Maybe some chocolates for my wife? ;o)

The previous owner had it in at 7k miles, 14k and 20k to have the brakes replaced. I now have 40k on it and my wife has been complaining about the brakes for the past 10k miles. I was going to order new rotors and install them myself but have been putting it off because the judder was slight, perhaps not bad enough to justify the 350+ for parts. Now I think its bad enough.

Message me with questions...
Thanks for the update. That has always bothered me - you have a problem and get it repaired under warranty. The warranty ends and you are stuck with the expense! Why don't you give corporate a call and see what they can do to help you out?

I'm not sure about your NAV/Radio. Hmmm - by any chance did you disconnect and connect the battery with the radio on?

Again, thanks for updating us all on your Sensor work.

FIND OUT WHAT YOUR REPAIR SHOULD COST?
Repair Cost Estimator

BUY NISSAN ACCESSORIES!
Nissanhelp Store
Old 10-18-2007, 12:39 PM
hausherrs

The fuse was blown on the stereo and it looks like the display backlight got fried from the surge.

I am working on something for the brakes, ill let you know how that goes too.

No problem with the updateing. I searched high and low on all the forums for a fix. Many people report problems and they never follow up and discuss the fix. So their posts are basically useless to others, and what are the forums for? To help and discuss and whatever.

Have a good one.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:24 PM
2004 Titan King Cab
2000 Sentra

did the sensor replacement fix the speedo problem? if i test my wheel sensor(s) with an ohmmeter and get a reading less than 2.2M ohms, can i assume that sensor(s) bad?
Old 11-30-2009, 03:20 PM
hausherrs

Its hard to say. I would spend the $60 and let Nissan tell you what all is wrong.. they told me that two sensors were bad so I bought and replaced them. all lights went off... Sensors are not cheap so it could save you money in the long run if you can get nissan to check it out first and tell you which ones are bad.. If they are bad...
Old 11-30-2009, 04:35 PM
2004 Titan King Cab
2000 Sentra

i've already researched that a little. the local stealer wants $95-$150 diagnosis fee, (depending on how long they spend on it--their words)and if they diagnose it wrong (read-i replace the parts they say and it still doesn't help-sorry about my luck) they will pick another component to replace. they made it sound pretty iffy- as if they are just taking shots in the dark, too. i feel i might be better off money-wise to replace them all and be over with it. chances are, if one, or two are bad, the others aren't far behind. about how much are the wheel sensors, each? thanks
Old 11-30-2009, 04:38 PM
2004 Titan King Cab
2000 Sentra

ok, i see where you said they are about $175 for two. sheesh, can't they make them last a little longer, for that kind of cash?
Old 12-05-2009, 02:30 PM
h20dragon

2004 Titan KC LE, 4WD, Big Tow, etc... I have a similar problem with the LR and RR ABS sensors. Now The SLIP, BRAKE, ABS and 4WD lights remain on. It appears the damage was done when my truck was "flat-bedded". A Nissan rep who looked at it sez' the damage may have been caused by tow hooks attached to the rear axle pinced the cables in an attempt to pull the vehicle onto the tow truck flatbed. I looked at it. Dealing with the tow company is another issue I can address later thru civil litigation. My immediate concern now is how to replace the wiring myself and chance that the sensors (itself) is okay?
Old 01-12-2010, 05:34 PM
kasltepowder

Where did you find the ABS sensor parts for your Titan? My 05 pathfinder has the same problem and the dealer wants $392 plus $165 for install plus tax. Am I amde of gold?? Crap I can buy a new laptop for that!

Tags
4wd, abs, brake, lights, slip, vdc