Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Replacing shocks Forums > > Replacing shocks Replacing shocks
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Titan Nissan Titan Discussion Forum

Old 02-19-2017, 08:42 AM
2008 Titan Crew Cab
2008 Titan LE

Default Replacing shocks

Hello all,
I have a 2008 Titan LE with 113000 miles on it and the shocks are original. Stamped Nissan. Rust is getting the better of them and need to replace before I have a failure, my luck going 75 on I-40. Would really like to keep stock setup. Was wondering what anyone thinks about replacing with same shocks from Nissan. I have read so many post about different shocks on this forum and have not heard much about staying with original parts. I have heard/looked at Monroe and Gabriel, Rancho etc with differing opinions on all.I have priced the original Nissan shocks and they are in kind of in same price range as the Monroe and Gabriel shocks. I like the stock setup ride and feel. Just throwing it out there, all feed back appreciated.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:36 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

There is nothing wrong with liking the stock ride and going with genuine Nissan struts and shocks are fine, however, you can do this and save a little money by going with KYB Excel/GR-2's. The original equipment, Nissan struts and shocks are made by KYB and the Excel/GR-2's are the direct replacement part. You can get them for a little more than half of the price of Nissan units at Rockauto.com plus the KYB's have a limited lifetime warranty, better than the Nissan 12-month/12000 mile warranty. Personally, I would upgrade the rear shocks to the KYB Gas-a-just, which is a monotube design shock and only $5 more than the Excel/GR-2.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:48 PM
2008 Titan Crew Cab
2008 Titan LE

Thanks for the reply, I was looking at the KYB but after searching around, cost wise and my road usage(which is minimal, no off-road) I went with the Gabriel Ultra. Was going with Monroe but have not heard good things about there shock. The Nissan shock is way too expensive. really do appreciate the reply, I guess I will see how these do for a while, i got them on sale at AA for 26.00. Is the torque on these really 115 lbs? I can torque them to that just want to make sure. Thanks again
Old 02-21-2017, 05:37 AM
2008 Titan Crew Cab
2008 Titan LE

Well changed my mind on the Gabriel shock, not dealing with auto anything. Have gone with the KYB G-2/Excel G due to several members comments. I want to stay as close as possible to the original shock. Also ordered new bolts/ nuts due 35.00 from Nissan due to rust issues with existing bolts and don't want any issues when I remove the 10 yr old bolts. By the way I bought shocks from RockAuto due to past dealings with them. Thought about the gas adjust KYB shock but for my needs I think the G-2 will be fine. Brake lines are next and going with the Goodridge 6 line kit for 151.00 free shipping. All thought's or recommendations appreciated. Thanks again
Old 02-23-2017, 06:36 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

I think you made the right choice. I've never been a big fan of Gabriels. While the KYB's will be a little more money, they will ride the same as the original equipment and they do have a limited lifetime warranty.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:59 AM
2008 Titan Crew Cab
2008 Titan LE

Thanks again for the helpful information.

Tags
replacing, shocks