Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2005 Titan Sirius Radio Install Forums > > 2005 Titan Sirius Radio Install 2005 Titan Sirius Radio Install
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Titan Nissan Titan Discussion Forum

Old 01-25-2011, 06:42 PM
Lvcoyote

Default 2005 Titan Sirius Radio Install

Hello Everyone,
I'm about to embark in to a Sirius radio install on my 2005 Titan LE 4X4 with the RF 6cd stereo system. I purchased a kit however that is listed for a 2006-2007 truck after reading in several places that they work just fine. I shot a few pictures of the kit as it arrived today.

First the antenna kit intended to be mounted inside the top center of the windshield.

Next is the tuner, and this is the part that has me concerned. If you look at the 2nd picture below, there are two places to hook a N-BUS harness to, but my Titan only has one harness to bring to the tuner and the harness does fit one of the connections on the tuner. I'm assuming this is to accommodate installations in various Nissan vehicles?? If someone can confirm this I would appreciate it.

I looked at the Field Service Manual for a 2007 Truck that this tuner is listed for, and from what I can see it only has one N-BUS harness as well. Hopefully this wont be a problem.

I'll post more pictures when I install the kit this weekend, in the meantime if someone could calm my nerves about the dual connectors on the tuner that would be awesome!

Thank everyone!

Last edited by Lvcoyote; 01-27-2011 at 08:47 AM.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Thanks for sharing!!!

In case you need the installation guide: Knowledgebase - Titan - Nissanhelp.com Forums

It explains about the connector.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:00 PM
Lvcoyote

Thanks for the reply NissanTech but I have read through that guide. It only mentions when to plug the harness in, it makes no mention of tuners with dual plugs. Am I correct in assuming that the plug that matches my N-BUS harness is all I will need and the other plug is just left empty??
Old 01-25-2011, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Quote:
Am I correct in assuming that the plug that matches my N-BUS harness is all I will need and the other plug is just left empty??
Yes, you are correct. The kit is an universal kit.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:27 PM
Lvcoyote

Thank you very much for the help, I will sleep better tonight knowing I didn't screw up buying a later model tuner..... LOL

This forum is awesome by the way, keep up the great work!!
Old 01-29-2011, 08:12 PM
Lvcoyote

Got it all installed today and it works perfectly! I'll post up some pics tomorrow!
Old 01-30-2011, 05:49 AM
Lvcoyote

Ok, as promised some pics of the install. As you know from my first post, I bought a kit intended for use with later model Titans than the one I own. I had to modify a couple things to make it work. I decided to do the factory type install method by mounting the tuner piggy back to the RF amplifier. This is a more difficult install but in the end I'm glad I did it this way.

Because my truck was pre-wired for satellite radio it already had the wire harness needed to interface with the Sirius tuner, as well as the appropriate bracket to house the tuner. In order to get the bracket out I needed to remove the BCM (Body Control Module) as well as the adjustable gas pedal assembly. Also I needed to locate the wire harness that plugs in to the tuner. In order to facilitate easy access to these things, I removed the lower dash cover and the knee support bracket.

Once these items were removed it was a matter of unplugging some wire harnesses to the various components and then sliding out the amplifier bracket. Once I had the amplifier and bracket out, it was time to secure the tuner to the bracket.

The tuner was not large enough to span the distance length wise on the bracket and the mounting holes were a tad too wide to fit my bracket. I needed to enlarge the slotted bracket holes to accommodate my tuner. Not a big deal, a little Dremmel action is all that was needed. Because the tuner was not long enough to screw it down on both sides I used the adhesive pad included in the kit to raise it and secure it.

Once this was all completed I reinstalled everything that was removed and buttoned up the under side of the dash. Here is a pic of the tuner installed in the bracket under the dash.

As far as the antenna install goes, that is pretty straight forward. Just secure it to the inside of the windshield and tuck the wires inside the headliner. The kit included some sponge tape which I folded over the antenna wire every ten inches or so as I worked my way down the headliner towards the drivers side A pillar. Removing the A pillar is a snap, just remove the grab handle and pop it off.

Simply run your wire down that area and secure it with sponge tape and maybe a wire tie or two. From there just drop it through the left side of the dash and start running it over to the tuner. There are many different ways you can route the antenna cable over to the tuner. I chose not to attach it to the metal knee bracket as the instructions said because it would be a pain if I need to remove the bracket in the future. Instead I just wire tied it to various areas under the dash as I worked my way towards the tuner. Once that was done I replace the trim pieces.

Now the moment of truth! I hooked the negative battery cable back up and tried it out. I knew I was on to something when I hit the "Sat" button and it read "Acquiring" on the display. A few seconds later channel 184 popped up!! I called Sirius and activated the radio and all is golden!

The unit interfaces perfectly with the RF tuner. You can set the default display to either Channel number, Song Title, Channel name, or Artist. The reception is awesome and so far no drop outs. The sound quality is amazing and a real step up from FM radio.

I'll grab my camera and shoot some pictures of the inside and radio display later today.

Enjoy!!
Old 01-30-2011, 12:21 PM
Lvcoyote

And finally some pics of the antenna and the Sirius in action.

Had to throw an image of my Parrot MKi 9200, awesome unit by the way!

Tags
2005, install, radio, sirius, titan