Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2005 titan won't start Forums > > 2005 titan won't start 2005 titan won't start
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Titan Nissan Titan Discussion Forum

Old 05-11-2009, 05:44 PM
thizzy

Default 2005 titan won't start

my 05' titan won't start...only clicks a couple of times...plenty of gas...checked battery and starter both check o.k....notice that with battery connected to truck and everything shut off(i.e dome lights etc.) the battery drains to about 10 volts...and yes new battery has been installed and tested good with load tester...anyone got any ideas...much appreciated
Old 05-11-2009, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Sounds like starter, but you need to check if there is power at the starter while you are turning the key. If there is no power, then check the starter fuse
Attached Thumbnails
2005 titan won't start-figure2-gif   2005 titan won't start-figure3-gif  
Old 05-11-2009, 06:41 PM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Maxima

Quote:
Originally Posted by thizzy View Post
my 05' titan won't start...only clicks a couple of times...plenty of gas...checked battery and starter both check o.k....notice that with battery connected to truck and everything shut off(i.e dome lights etc.) the battery drains to about 10 volts...and yes new battery has been installed and tested good with load tester...anyone got any ideas...much appreciated
im kind of confused by the bold sentence, are u saying that when u connect the battery everything shuts off so how is the battery ok? im confused. do u see any light that light up when u try to start it? i would try and see if u can test the alternator cause that may drain your battery.

my guess is the starter, usually clicking noise point to the starter it may be that the selenoid on the starter burnt out.

edit: uhhg beat me to it Will

2002 Maxima GLE Silver on Black
| Berk Intake w/AEM Dryflow | Clear Sidemarker Lights w/PIAA L.E.D|PIAA L.E.D Courtesy and Licence Plate Lights|PIAA White Fogs |Fibre Customs EyeLids | 5% Limo Tint | Brembo Blanks and Hawk HPS Pads |Ebay FSTB|CATTMAN RSB| NWP VIAS Block plate and NWS Spacers| OEM Spoiler | 07 350 z rims on 235/45/18 Goodyear Eagle GT tires| Megan Racing OE-RS Catback |

in training

SHOW YOUR SUPPORT: Subscribe or Donate
Old 05-11-2009, 06:53 PM
thizzy

i already replaced the starter and battery...when key is in ignition and u try to crank the truck all lights on the dash light up as normal then the starter clicks 2-3 times and nothing...all lights on dash go out and gauges bounce a few times and thats it...
Old 05-11-2009, 07:00 PM
thizzy

i read on another forum about the IPDM(what ever that is) that seemed to be givin people the same type trouble i 've run across...however they were saying the IPDM was dealing with the gas(i.e. tank level or fuel pump)...if i'm not mistaken the 05 titan that i own has a 28 gallon tank....but i've never been able to put more than 22 gallons in it with the fuel gauge below E and light on...
Old 05-11-2009, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Quote:
i read on another forum about the IPDM(what ever that is) that seemed to be givin people the same type trouble i 've run across...however they were saying the IPDM was dealing with the gas(i.e. tank level or fuel pump)...if i'm not mistaken the 05 titan that i own has a 28 gallon tank....but i've never been able to put more than 22 gallons in it with the fuel gauge below E and light on...
Now thats a different problem, if you are able to crank the engine but not able to start, then it could be a fuel pump.

If you the engine is not cranking at all then there is a problem with the starting system. The IPDM is just a more sophisticated fuse box that holds relays (which are not serviceable) and fuses.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:27 PM
Master Enthusiast

2004 sentra

Do you have an alarm/immobilizer in your car ?-that will do it.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:17 PM
deeznuts

How long before the battery goes to 10 volts? So both new and old batteries would drop to 10 volts? What do the battery cables look like, any corrosion on either end ? When connecting the battery do the cables "spark" when they touch the terminals? Have you checked for a draw on the system ( I only ask because of the dropping to 10 volts) ? Can you jump start it ?
Old 08-06-2009, 08:19 AM
anitsutsa2

I have had the same problem occasionally w/my 05 Titan. Sometimes it will click and all the gauges bounce uncontrollably then it will start, sometimes the gauges will still act up for a min after it is running. Once all it did was click and it wouldn't start. Went back to it later and it started right up. I haven't had it to the dealer to figure out what it is because right now the rear has gone out of it and I'm over the warranty mileage. Trying to see if Nissan will help me since I had the rear seal replaced prior.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:55 AM
nightside

Default If you see the gauges fluttering, get a new battery.

The battery test may say it is good, but replace anyway.

My 2004 Titan would not start, just turn over. I found that if I put the key in , turn to on, paused for like 5 seconds, then turned to start, it would turn over for maybe 2 seconds, then start up. All the gauge needles would then flutter, and my odometer trip meters would all reset. I pulled out the IPDM, replaced the ECM relay with one from a junkyard, but no change.

Then I read that fluttering gauges = need new battery. Installed a new battery, and starts up like new!
Old 11-02-2009, 04:53 AM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

I just replaced the battery in my truck because to the very same thing that is happening to yours.Starters clicks and gauges jump around.All connections clean and tight and battery tested good untill it sat over nite.Had shorted cell.Replaced battery and no farther problems.Works fine and last along time.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:26 AM
TheBoss

Its a Battery Problem. From what I found out about working on cars is that a battery will test good if only 1 cell is bad. When 1 cell goes bad it will have the voltage there on the load for a little but because the load tester doesnt out a load on like actually starting the truck the will test good UNLESS you keep the load on it WILL drop. Starting the truck is such a big load it drops the battery instantly causing guages to get voltages and not get voltage relays usually clicking and the starter solenoid clicking. You can have a bad cell in a new battery off the shelf. Look at the made date not the shipped date on the battery. Could be 8 months old.

I see this problem was months ago. You should post your resolution. I hope you figured it out by now....
Old 02-02-2010, 01:45 PM
bulletbob

I just loged on for the first time with the same problem. But I jumped the truck and the indicator on board read good. when trying to start 05 le,the inicator board was freakin out even if I took the key out.once It starts Its good till the next morning.(with new bad).can we continue this discusion I will try changing fuse.

Last edited by bulletbob; 02-02-2010 at 01:48 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:20 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2002 Frontier

Quote:
i already replaced the starter and battery...when key is in ignition and u try to crank the truck all lights on the dash light up as normal then the starter clicks 2-3 times and nothing...all lights on dash go out and gauges bounce a few times and thats it...
Why did you replace the starter and battery?

Maybe keep buyin' more starters and batterys 'til you find the combo that works?
Old 06-03-2017, 04:40 PM
2005 Titan Crew Cab

Default titan starts then shuts off after 2 seconds stalls then won't start again for several hours

i am looking for someone to help me out. i have a 05 nissan titan that has 257,000 miles on it so i decided to rebuild the engine because it was smoking and bottom end was noisey. i finished it up and could only get it to start then it stalled out. as i continued to try to start it i get a very strong fuel smell. after a couple of hours i gave up on it for the day. the next morning i went out to my truck, same thing all over again. it has been to a local nissan dealer in my city and after 600.00 they tell me they thought it had jumped time. so i let them take the front of the engine apart at the sum of another 400.00 and they discovered that the timing is dead on. then at that point i told them to stop on it and i had it towed out of there. sense then i have had it towed to two different reputable shops, now 12 weeks later as it sits in my shop i come up no further ahead then i was when i started this project. all i have done is spend a ton of money and i still cant start it. can anyone help me please?

Tags
2005, start, titan