Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2003 Nissan 1.8 Forums > > 2003 Nissan 1.8 2003 Nissan 1.8
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Sentra Nissan Sentra Discussion Forum

Old 10-09-2010, 08:20 PM
treklover37

Default 2003 Nissan 1.8

Okay, I have searched and had no joy. I have a 2003 Nissan 1.8. The car wouldn't start, I changed the sparkplugs, the car wouldn't start, I replaced the Engine Coolant Sensor, car started immediately. We drove it for a day, and the car wouldn't start. I replaced the ECS again and the car started immediately. We drove it for a week and now it won't start. In addition to the hard start, when I was able to drive it, the temp on the car was up and down, I changed the thermostat and the radiator cap. Car worked like a charm. Went to start it and it won't start. In addition to the car not starting now it is making a rather odd screetching noise when cranking. I think it is the starter but not sure. Any suggestions? Thanks for any help.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:21 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2001 Maxima
1998 Pathfinder
2001 maxima 20th aninvers

sounds like you have a bad headgasket
Old 10-10-2010, 09:32 AM
treklover37

How or why would a bad headgasket make it stop starting? I haven't seen anything that would resemble leaking oil or anything like that on the engine. In fact I don't use oil and I don't leave puddles of oil anywhere. I had a car that did have a bad headgasket and there was oil all over the place. I am not saying it isn't the headgasket but it just doesn't look like a typical headgasket problem.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:53 AM
treklover37

Just an FYI, I went looking for leaks, and I found one. Directly underneath the Engine Coolant Sensor that I changed. It was leaking coolant. I tightened the sensor, tried to start it again and Wah Lah, started immediatly. I have dried the leak and have started it and run it to reach temp several times and no more leak. I still have a light for check engine soon, but I had Auto Zone read that and it said the ignition coil on #3 was misfiring. I will change that next week. My dad always said start with the cheapest piece first then work your way up from there. I will keep an eye out for oil leakage. I love this forum. It sure is helpful for a us women who want to save a buck.
I have one more question. I have searched all of the manuals I downloaded and I am sure I am just missing it but where is the schematic for the order of spark plugs. I know that the #1 spark plug is the one next to the oil fill, but I am not sure if the order follows 2,3,4 or if like in a 6 or 8 cylinder they alternate. Anyone have a shematic?
Old 10-11-2010, 02:54 PM
Enthusiast
2003 350Z
03,09 350Z and G37x

The number one plug is the first one on the passenger side of the veh. That is considered to be the front of the engine. The next plug is number two, the next is 3 and so on. The firing order for this engine is 1,3,4,2. Hope that helps.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:39 PM
treklover37

thanks for the reply, the car won't start again. It started often and easily all day on Sunday, but when I got back into it to head off to work on Monday morning it wouldn't start. Back to square one. Any new suggestions?
Old 10-13-2010, 09:55 AM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Sentra
2003 Sentra
2002 Sentra GXE

take out the #3 plug and shine a light down the hole. See if it is wet. If so, you have a HG leak. that would be the reason for the misfire.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:56 AM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Sentra
2003 Sentra
2002 Sentra GXE

If that looks OK, then check the plug. You can switch the #3 coil pack with another one and see if the misfire follows it. If that is the case, then it is the coil pack that is faulty.

Tags
2003, nissan