Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
97 Sentra, Won't Start, Flooding, Spark OK Forums > > 97 Sentra, Won't Start, Flooding, Spark OK 97 Sentra, Won't Start, Flooding, Spark OK
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Sentra Nissan Sentra Discussion Forum

Old 10-18-2008, 08:23 AM
Scuba-4fun

Default 97 Sentra, Won't Start, Flooding, Spark OK

Hi!

My Daughter has a 97 Sentra 4 cyl. She parked it last night, and in the morning said "Dad, my car won't start".

I looked at it, and am quite handy ...

It has great Spark, and I put in new plugs.

The cylinders were very wet with fuel, even after parking over night, and making sure the flooding was history.

After just 15 seconds of cranking, it smells of flooding, and the pistons will have fuel on the tops of them, as it is getting WAY too much fuel.

Could it be the pressure reulator, or the cooling sensor? How can I test them?

Thanks so very much!
Kind regards,
Old 10-18-2008, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Quote:
Could it be the pressure regulator, or the cooling sensor? How can I test them?
The fuel pressure regulator will not cause flooding, since the injector has to open to inject the fuel. Usually the flooding is more related to leaking injector, since the spark is OK.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:30 AM
Scuba-4fun

Interesting, but when I looked into the cylinders, all four had flooded out badly; I could see fuel laying on top of the pistons. How likely is it that all four injectors would go bad overnight?

Any other ideas? Is it possible to test the injectors, or do you just replace them all?

Thanks so much.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:09 AM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

This problem was most likely caused be very short trips and not allowing the engine to run hot enought to exspand the rings.This was a very common problem with the old sentras and altimas with alot of milage on them and it coused the cylinders to wash out.Check to see if you have compression in each cylinder. If not add a couple of drops of oil to help seal the rings. To get it started if you have a air hose just blow out the cylinders, if not pull the fuse to the fuel pump and crank the engine over.Leave the plugs in. After several attemps insert the fuse to see if you can hear the engine trying to start. Keep turning the engine over at the same time pull and insert the fuel pump fuse.You should get it started. Once running give the old girl a good running for atleast 20 min.

Last edited by tech22; 10-19-2008 at 07:13 AM.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:44 PM
mviator

Default Thank you

The technique of taking out the fuel pump fuse, cranking the engine, and the putting the fuse in and out while cranking the engine worked! My car started, it took several minutes of doing this, and has been running fine since then. Just like you said it was caused by a very short trip(moving my parked car from in front of my house to the garage). Thank you very much for the advice. You saved me hundreds of dollars!
Old 03-19-2009, 08:23 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2001 Maxima
1998 Pathfinder
2001 maxima 20th aninvers

alot of the fuel fouling is caused by the base idle being out of adjustment ...9 out 10 sentras that i have worked on in the past have had a base idle of 300-400rpms

Tags
fuel flooding