Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
striking rod oil seal Forums > > striking rod oil seal striking rod oil seal
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Sentra Nissan Sentra Discussion Forum

Old 10-10-2008, 07:46 AM
mewant2b

Default striking rod oil seal

need help from tech master and everyone works on this please be advise.thanks in advance.

i have 2004 sentra, 1.8L, standard tramission.
I saw a wetness spot at the boot of the striking rod oil seal.
the gap between the lip of the striking rod oil seal and the hole of the clutch housing is about 3/8".
1. Is it a normal gap between the oil seal and the hole of the clutch housing? or the lip supposes to flush with the hole?
2. do i need to replace the oil seal or just tap it back in if it is not normal gap in question 1.
3. what kind of petroleum jelly should i use if question 2 is yes.
thanks again
Attached Thumbnails
striking rod oil seal-sentra1-jpg  
Old 10-12-2008, 05:01 AM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

When in doubt replace the seal and you can use any kind of petroleum jelly. The seal should set flush with the trans case but to be sure measure the depth of the hole and the length of the seal and compair the two.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:59 PM
mewant2b

thank you much tech22. will do
Old 10-26-2008, 05:18 PM
mewant2b

tech22
i bought the striking rod oil seal from dealer and tried to install but there is a inner and outer retainer pins to hole the rod and the yoke. I am afraid to hit the pins so hard thinking that i might bend the rod or damage the internal of the tranny. the procedure seems easy, should i strike the pins when they are still on the tranny or have to take them apart, which i have to send to the shop because i could not drop the tranny.
thanks in advance.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:44 AM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

Icannot picture in my mines eye the pins you speak of. i assume you have already removed the old seal ,if so install in reverse order . You may have to rent a seal driver it you don't already have one.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:56 AM
dadoo

I too have a striking rod oil seal that has become loose from the transmission case.

I tried reseating it by gently tapping around the perimeter, but was unable to drive it home.

I would like to use a conventional driver tool, but this requires freeing the shift yoke from the striking rod. I removed the rolling pin by hammering sideways with an appropriate drift pin. However, I cannot pull the yoke off of the striking rod. The space is too small to admit a wheel/gear puller.

Any ideas besides pulling the whole tranny?

BTW, the shop manual suggests that it's doable with the tranny still in the car.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:31 PM
mewant2b

i bought a set of 6 piece punch kit from Sears. i think I used the 1/8 to hammer the inner pin first. then i think i uses the next size is 5/16 i punch out the split roller. dont strike both with 5/16 it wont come out. after removed the split roller
then you can removed the yoke. hope it help. good luck.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:18 AM
dadoo

It sounds like the yoke removal was easy for you (mewant2b), but I can't get the yoke to separate from the striking rod. It's probably rusted onto the rod.

I succeeded in removing the pin(s) that join the striking rod and yoke, but the yoke seems frozen in place.

I tried hitting with a hammer toward rear of car, but can't enough swing.
I might try a big pipe wrench to twist it off, or maybe a slide hammer
arranged to jerk the yoke off of the rod.

How did you get the yoke off?
Old 07-21-2009, 04:16 PM
mewant2b

i have 2004 car therefore i have no problem removed the yoke. sorry i am not an expert to help you more. Do you try to use the PB Blaster to soak the parts?
Old 07-21-2009, 05:01 PM
dadoo

Thanx, I guess adding ten more years of exposure to New England winters has its disadvantages.

I'll add the PB Blaster to my list of things to try.

The job wd be much easier if the tranny was out of the car.
Then I could use something like a wheel puller to get the yoke off, without risking damage to the striking rod.

Tags
oil, rod, seal, striking