Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2002 Sentra - will not start, no spark Forums > > 2002 Sentra - will not start, no spark 2002 Sentra - will not start, no spark
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Sentra Nissan Sentra Discussion Forum

Old 07-19-2008, 05:15 PM
weedavey

Default 2002 Sentra - will not start, no spark

I have a 2002 Nissan Sentra that turns over but will not start. I do not have a spark at any of the ignition coils, have changed both the camshaft and crankshaft sensor. I've also swapped the ECR power relay with no success. In addition, when I first turn the key, I get a clicking from the relay at the driver's side panel which I don't believe is an issue as I think it's a fog light relay.

Can it be the ECM itself? (Note: I do have the SES light when I turn the key)
Old 07-19-2008, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

You should check for codes stored in the ECM, that can give you a clue of what is the problem.

You should also check the fuse #34, #36 and the ECM relay. Those two fuses and relay power the coils and ECM, but do not replace the ECM until you do some testing.

Let me know if you need more help.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:21 AM
weedavey

Checked the ECM relay, swapped with one from under the hood, no go. None of the fuses are bad, checked all under the hood and the fuse box. Borrowed a code reader from Autozone and couldn't retrieve any codes, got a "Link Error" error message. I keep coming back to two things - ECM itself and the clicking I keep getting from the relay on the driver side lower left. I even changed that relay out and still get the clicking.

Please help, I will change the ECM if necessary and especially if I can isolate it to that.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

It does looks like the ECM is not working, but it is very rare to have a ECM acting like that. The problem is usually a bad relay or fuse. The next step I suggest is to check for ground and voltage signal at the ECM connector. Just make sure you do all your testing with a volt meter and not a test light.
Attached Thumbnails
2002 Sentra - will not start, no spark-figure1-gif   2002 Sentra - will not start, no spark-figure2-gif   2002 Sentra - will not start, no spark-figure3-gif   2002 Sentra - will not start, no spark-figure4-gif  
Old 07-20-2008, 01:05 PM
bronco 74

i had the same problem changed the ecm worked 100% got a used one for $200 also had the same problem with that relay it is for the pump
Old 07-20-2008, 03:58 PM
weedavey

Okay NissanTech I may be a little closer. The SES light does come on which should indicate that the computer is at least getting good power, right? I just came across this post (below) and will probably chase it down, the fun part though will be to isolate the wire and location of the damage.

I have a 2001 GXE Sentra as well, I had a no start problem as well. I heard clicking under the passenger side of the dash board, like a relay switch engaging and disengaging rapidly. The SES light was also fluttering on and off while the clicking noise continued. I brought it to a local mechanic and they found a shorted wire to the ECM. The wire was under the dash where I heard the clicking. An easy test to identify this problem is by turning the car to the start position, if the SES light does not come on at all the ECM is not getting power in which case you probably have a shorted wire or a bad ECM relay, both of which are fairly cheap fixes.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Quote:
The SES light does come on which should indicate that the computer is at least getting good power, right?
Yes, you are correct.

Quote:
the fun part though will be to isolate the wire and location of the damage
Yes, that is the fun part. Good luck and let us know your findings or if you need more help.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:14 PM
weedavey

I'm reaching now but will let you know when I find out more. Looking at the wiring diagram it makes a little sense, but I'm still a little skeptical. The symptoms remain as turns over, no spark at any of the coils. I'm wondering if a shorted wire to the fuel pump relay would impact the ECM and spark, seems like other's have had this experience.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Quote:
I'm wondering if a shorted wire to the fuel pump relay would impact the ECM and spark
Very unlikely. Inside the ECM there are different circuits and, I think, those two cricuits are different. Since you now know that the ECM is working, but still have no spark you should check for power to the coil. Altough is the same fuse for the ECM, make sure we have power to the coil. All green/white wires at the coils should have battery voltage.
Attached Thumbnails
2002 Sentra - will not start, no spark-figure1-gif   2002 Sentra - will not start, no spark-figure2-gif  
Old 07-21-2008, 05:57 AM
weedavey

I'll check tonight and let you know if I find anything. I'm actually thinking now that it's the wire from the Fuel Pump Relay to the ECM. I still cannot confirm that the ECM is good yet, the only affirmation of power is the SES light. I still have in my head the Link Failure from trying to read the codes from the ECM. To me this either means a short or bad ECM.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:43 PM
weedavey

Chased all wiring to and from fuel pump relay, ECM relay, fuel pump itself with no findings. Good voltage and grounds. Good voltage at ECM, good grounds there too. Good voltage at all coils (green/white wire). No bad fuses anywhere in the car. The fuel pump relay continues to have a clicking sound when first turning the key on. In addition, when I use a test light to check for power at the B/P wire from the relay the fuel pump kicks on (???). I did also check with a multimeter. The same thing happened when I checked for voltage of the same wire at the ECM. In any case, I'm now "almost" convinced it's the ECM. I'm going to try and get one tomorrow from a junkyard (6 month - 1 year warranty) - unless someone pulls a rabbit out of their hat.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:09 PM
weedavey

Default Fixed it - it was the ECM!

Yes, sorry for the delayed response. The new ECM solved everything. The best and funniest part was that Nissan didn't believe me at first, made the statement "the ECM hardly ever is the problem". The good part was that the ECM has a 8 year, 80,000 mile warranty!

Thanks NissanTech and Bronco for your help. Hopefully my findings will help others. I do believe the clicking for the fuel pump relay is a good indicator.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:19 PM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Maxima

awsome sounds good thanks for letting us know how u solved the probem

2002 Maxima GLE Silver on Black
| Berk Intake w/AEM Dryflow | Clear Sidemarker Lights w/PIAA L.E.D|PIAA L.E.D Courtesy and Licence Plate Lights|PIAA White Fogs |Fibre Customs EyeLids | 5% Limo Tint | Brembo Blanks and Hawk HPS Pads |Ebay FSTB|CATTMAN RSB| NWP VIAS Block plate and NWS Spacers| OEM Spoiler | 07 350 z rims on 235/45/18 Goodyear Eagle GT tires| Megan Racing OE-RS Catback |

in training

SHOW YOUR SUPPORT: Subscribe or Donate
Old 09-04-2008, 09:23 AM
celmonic

I am having the same problem and going to use this troubleshooting steps to see if I fix it.
My nissan sentra GXE 2000 started dying on the run and dying when I make a left turn. Nissan never let me know about the recalls. I towed the car there and asked for the recall to be made. 2 recalls. They wanted to fleece me with diagnostics money but I said no way. Nissan failed to notify me for the recalls and I am going to pay for it. I will tow the car tonight back home and use this troubleshooting to see if I can fiz the problem.
If this site halps me to fiz it I will make some donation for the site.

Many thnaks folks,

The car companies are make life more difficult for all of us, with all this sensors that only misguide when electronically could be so many different things and if you are in the hands of the fleecers you are doomed. They can make the same mistakes we can and it could be costly.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:51 PM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Maxima

they shouldnt charge u nothing they are probably charging u to see what going on(they are gonna hook up nissan consult and diagnose your problem) but they shouldnt charge u for doing the recalls. if u have a check engine light autozone or advance autoparts will do the scan for free.

Tags
2002, sentra, spark, start