Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
1994 Nissan Sentra - Brake and Battery Lights are ON Forums > > 1994 Nissan Sentra - Brake and Battery Lights are ON 1994 Nissan Sentra - Brake and Battery Lights are ON
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Sentra Nissan Sentra Discussion Forum

Old 08-16-2006, 08:40 AM
2016 Versa
2001 Xterra
2016 Versa

Default 1994 Nissan Sentra - Brake and Battery Lights are ON

Hi there.

I came on here to see if someone could help a chick out.

I had to take my car to the shop last Tuesday (August 8th, 2006) because I needed a new throttle cable. The mechanic had to keep the car for 3 days because he had to order one. When I picked up the car on Friday morning, everything seemed to be fine. Later that night, both the brake light AND the battery light came on. I thought that it might just be a glitch at first because occasionally my engine light comes on, and I've had it looked at, and they found nothing wrong.

On Saturday, I did some errands, and I could tell that something was wrong because the air flow out of the air conditioning vents got weaker. The car also died at a stop light but started right back up. So, I thought maybe I needed a battery. I took the battery out, and took it up to Autozone to get tested. It was low on juice. I have had the car for 3 years, and never replaced the battery. So I went ahead and bought one. But after I put the new battery in, the battery and brake lights were still on.

Well, on Sunday morning, I went out to go someplace, and the car wouldnt start at all. So, I took the new battery back to Autozone, and they tested it and said it was fine. And they said its probably the alternator. I brought the battery back home, and put it back in, and the car started but both the brake light and the battery light were still on. I called a friend of mine and he said it could be the alternator too. He said to start the car and take the negative cable off of the battery while the car is running. If it dies, then its the alternator. I did that, and sure enough, the car died. I havent had the alternator checked yet.

What I dont understand, is why both the brake light and the battery light are on. I checked the brake fluid level and its fine. I had the brakes done a year and a half ago.

Anyone know whats going on? Could it just be a short some place?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

to the Nissanhelp.com forums!!

I also agreed that the alternator is the problem. And why the brake warning light is ON, because is connected to the alternator warning system. Is like a backup warning light. If the battery warning light bulb is blown then the brake light will come ON. Look at the diagram I have attached, when the alternator stop charging it will send a ground signal to the alternator warning light bulb, but it will also send the signal to the check bulb relay which will send a ground signal to the brake light.
Attached Thumbnails
1994 Nissan Sentra - Brake and Battery Lights are ON-nissanhelp-com004-gif  

Tags
1994, battery, brake, lights, nissan, sentra