Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Brakes Squeal in Reverse only Forums > > Brakes Squeal in Reverse only Brakes Squeal in Reverse only
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Sentra Nissan Sentra Discussion Forum

Old 03-21-2008, 07:25 PM
harrington

Angry Brakes Squeal in Reverse only

My Nissan Sentra brakes squeal only when backing up. Dealer has many many excuses and will not fix even though it started immediately after purchase of new Nissan and with the gold maintenance program that I paid extra for. Various excuses- if its only when backing up then who cares? maybe you don't apply your parking brake tight enough and the car rolls back and wears out the pads? (but then they also say the pads are FINE); you need to wash off the brake dust off the brake pads with a garden hose! Squeking is normal! So many many excuses! If they would just say we had a problem here's what we will do to fix it, but instead they drive you nuts with excuses and all the time I spend in their shop and taking their shuttle to and from my house and they only take cars at 7:30 am .

Ok what is the real truth about the brakes? whats the deal? there is a hidden truth here, there is something going on and maybe Nissan has decided to bury it instead of fix it. I know their compnay as well as others is not doing well lately because imports to America are slowing with the American economy.

Whats the TRUTH ABOUT NISSAN BRAKES SQUEALING IN REVERSE ONLY (no squealing going forward)???????

AND as to the extended service they tell you they include adjustments and maintenance and all this bla bla stuff then after you bjy it, they tell you "no we just change the fluids and clean the filters" for the frist 2 years for $1700; whats the real trusth about this gold level extended maintence?
Old 03-21-2008, 07:50 PM
theunknownr

you do not need any maintenance packages, they are rip offs, you pay for it and if you do the services as normal, it doesn't add up to the price you pay.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:57 PM
Enthusiast

2008 Frontier Nismo KC

:confused: Well, as far as this 'Gold' level maintenance plan, You got hosed. These plans are normal sold from the dealer and can only be redeemed at the dealer that sold that plan to you.
Now for your brakes...? when the squeal are your braking in reverse, or just anytime when in reverse? Is it very single time (say 101 times out of 101) or most of the time (100 times out of 101). If this does not happen 100% of the time, then when it does happen is the vehicle perfectly level or on an incline? What temp is it? Has the car been siting a while or has it been running for any lengh of time? These are all thing you and the dealer or other shop need to pin point so the complaint you have can be fully repaired.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:22 PM
harrington

Default repy to questions (brakes)

1. squelas when braking while backing up only ;sound like only the rear brakes not the front brakes (front brakes are Brembo that came with the SER Spec V and rear are Nissans Original Equipment)

2. not all the time, seems to come and go but I'd say a majority of the time when braking while backing up on an incline. The more the incline the louder the squek but it seems to help if you just brake hard as opposed slowing backing up and slowing applying the brakes; but when youre looking around for people in the parking lot or a car coming down the street, you have to back out slowly. I dont ride my brakes though.

3. noticed most when the car has been sitting awhile, such as backing out of a parking spot after shopping or backing out of the driveway after car has been sitting.

4. not too sure about the temp. part, its warm here in the desert much of the time happened today a lot and its been over 80 degrees.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:33 PM
Enthusiast

2008 Frontier Nismo KC

How many miles do your have on it right now? Is it still under factory warranty? 3/36,000
Old 03-21-2008, 08:53 PM
harrington

Default Mileage

12 mos and 18,000 miles but does that even help? can't the dealer get out of a brake issue easily? unless there is proof of some defect? I read other posts about 2008 Sentras and also various year Muranos all complaining about brake squeks while braking when in reverse only. I suspect there is a known problem and cover up by Nissan. The last service rep made a wierd comment "we told NISSAN and they (NISSAN) DOESN'T KNOW WHY THE BRAKES SQUEK" bring it in and we will look at them again..when I called back and asked what was meant about Nissan not knowing I was transeferred to the manager who clammed up the whoe issue and said 'THERE IS NO RECALL SIR" and the rep who made the comment would never discuss it again and would not either admit or deny the original comment, just won't talk about it again.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:57 PM
Enthusiast

2008 Frontier Nismo KC

If your car is still under warranty, I would call Nissan and explain you dissaticfaction with the brake noise and the dealer performance. Explain you expect them to replace the rear brake pads and resurface the rotors (check the service manual for the rear brake assembly, if the Emergancy brakes use drum style pads request that those also get replaced). Remember the Person you contact at Nissan does not know you or any of your problems with the dealer until you tell them, so be nice about it (the more dirrect and pleasent your are with them will get you a lot further).

Nissan Consumer Affairs
P.O. Box 685003
Franklin TN 37068-5003
(800) NISSAN-1 (or 800-647-7261)
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.,
Eastern / Central Time / Pacific Time
Monday through Friday
Old 03-21-2008, 09:01 PM
Enthusiast

2008 Frontier Nismo KC

The other option is contacting the Service Manager and explaining that you expect them ot do something... Like replace your brakes, they should easily be able to that under a goodwill warrany if nothing else.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:16 PM
Enthusiast

2008 Frontier Nismo KC

When I had the 2002 Spec-V I drove it very hard ('Fast and the Furious' had nothing on me), the hand was used almost as much as the pedal. I had a lot of noise from the rear by about 13,000 miles, to get the noise to stop I ahd the drive normal and replace the rear rotors and brake pads.
The rear brakes are designed to control the vehicle while braking more than actually stoping the vehicle, so braking force is greater in the front. That stated driving habits and conditions can cause different wear on the rear brakes.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:14 PM
Enthusiast

2008 Frontier Nismo KC

After carefull reveiw of the service manual (2002 sentra volumn 5, PB-2) the rear brakes and parking brake share the rear calipers. It appears to me the issue you are experiencing may be due to the rear pad(s)/or/capiler sticking when the vehicle is reversed if the parking brake was applied. This could be normal. I would check my theory by parking in gear with out engauging the parking brake on level surfaces when possible. If the noise is not present when the parking brake is not used, this could be the issue. Also when you hear this noise and then move forward without the noise try reversing again to see if the noise is still present.

Please inform me when you have an up-date, I'm curious.

LMK of any further help I may offer.

Tags
brakes, reverse, squeal