Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
I think I have bad fuel economy. 2001 Sentra Forums > > I think I have bad fuel economy. 2001 Sentra I think I have bad fuel economy. 2001 Sentra
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Sentra Nissan Sentra Discussion Forum

Old 03-07-2008, 07:10 PM
Protan

Default I think I have bad fuel economy. 2001 Sentra

I drive a 2001 Nissan Sentra. I bought it about a year ago, and I have had a lot of problems with the car since I bought it. The first things I had to get done was replace the air mass meter, a vacuum cup seal and some belts tat were noisy. I have also had to replace the battery, get a wire fixed that caused my washer fluid to stop shooting and get my muffler fixed. Now I am having problems with fuel efficiency with my car. Not too long ago I think I was getting about 500km give or take a bit depending on my driving to a 35L (Filled up at 1/4 left) tank of gas. For a couple months now it has drastically reduced. I know that it goes down a bit during the winter but I doubt its this much. It has now gone down to about 350km to 35L of gas. That is 10L per 100km. My moms Honda Accord v6 gets the same mileage. Now I know this is not right. Not only should it be much better, but I also drive on the highway to commute every day. Driving about 110km/h-120km/h I think I have a normal driving style and dont know what is wrong with my car. Im doing everything I can to get good mileage. Checking my tires watching my gas closely.

I dont think its this but thought I would just bring it up. In about December I brought my car in for a regular oil change and they told me my car was rated for a different kind of oil during the winter. (Some kind of Castrol GTX or something). Anyways I thought maybe that had something to do with it? This car has just been such a lemon with me since I got it and its making me real pissed off with all the problems, that a nissan shouldnt have. I would expect this from a GM car.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:33 AM
Protan

Ok no answers. Well what is everyone else getting to a tank of gas? Btw my model is the 2001 1.8L GXE
Old 03-09-2008, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Just to clarify:

10L per 100km is about 2.64 per 62 miles or about 23.48 miles per gallon.

That's not too bad, I get around 14 mpg in my Xterra :-( , here are a few things you should check:

- Tire pressure
- Engine Oil level
- Air filter
Old 03-10-2008, 08:42 AM
Protan

Well I fill my tires a lot, like every 2 weeks. Im getting my oil changed today. Ill see if it improves after thats done. But its just really strange. Ive had so many problems with the car already so I think there could be more. In the summer I was getting 500-550km a tank, and I know it goes down in the winter but I dont think it goes down this significantly to 350km per tank.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:35 PM
theunknownr

get a fuel injection cleaning done, it helps alot. If not go to the parts store and get a bottle of like Fuel Injector cleaner, put it in your tank when you fill up. cars usually run richer when its colder.

Last edited by theunknownr; 03-11-2008 at 06:36 PM. Reason: addition
Old 03-12-2008, 02:46 PM
Protan

Ok thanks that sounds good, ill call up Nissan and ask about it. Which will give me the best results and aprox howmuch would each cost if you know?
Old 03-17-2008, 05:03 PM
Vanvan

Default somes ideas

I have the same car with manual trans.
I use Fuel Injector cleaner every oil change and I turn off the ventilation when I don't need it (it takes a lot of gas).
8,5L/ 100km with winter tires in the city, and 7.5L/100km on highway.

maybe, you also need to change your spark plugs.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:34 PM
edwardnigma

I've already mentioned this in another thread but my car is also a 2001 Sentra GXE 1.8 it's mileage sucks in the winter, about as bad or a little worse than stated in the OP. Last week, I've changed my spark plugs and now the gas mileage has improved but more is needed. This week I'm going to change the air filter and put in some fuel injector cleaner.

But in the summer I can get 500km city driving until the tank is about the 1/4 level. On the highway I can get an extra 100-150kms.

Tags
2001, bad, economy, fuel, sentra