Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Nissan Sentra Belts Forums > > Nissan Sentra Belts Nissan Sentra Belts
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Sentra Nissan Sentra Discussion Forum

Old 10-05-2007, 11:28 AM
lee

Default Nissan Sentra Belts

Hi guys

Thanks in advance

I have a 2000 Nissan Sentra GXE 1.8

I am trying to replace the 2 belts, one is the power steering, water pump & crank. the second is alternator, ac compressor, & crank with pully tensioner.

I refered to the service manual which I down loaded from this web site,
and it seemed like a piece of cake untill I tried to loosen the belt to the power steering to water pump. and no avail. :( , am i missing something or is there
more than on bolt to loosen than it calls for in the manual.

it started getting late & dark yesterday so I will try again today or tomorrow.
I loosen the adjustment screw & retaining bolt but no luck.
any advice before i tackle it again.

Thanks

Lee
Old 10-05-2007, 05:00 PM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Sentra
2003 Sentra
2002 Sentra GXE

THere is nut on the back of one of the tensioners that needs to be loosened before it will move. the one on the front of the engine is a long bolt that moves the tensioner in or out (tighten or loosen). that may be why you cannot get the belts off.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:39 AM
lee

Default belts

In addition to above

it was the bolt where the power steering pump pivots on.
I loosened it with a 14mm socket/wrench.
after that I was able to rotate the power steering pump.
and remove & replace the belt.
Very tight fit in this engine compartment.

Thanks

Last edited by lee; 10-08-2007 at 08:19 AM.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:09 PM
fern36

Hi guys,
I have a nissan Sentra 1.6 and I need to remove the alternator belt. Please help, I don't know where to start. Thanks in advance. Fern 36
Old 07-08-2008, 12:39 PM
gj7family

Default grego

As a matter of fact, I changed both belts on my 2000 Sentra 1.8 this morning. The inside (AC/Alt) belt is actually easier. You only have to loosed the idler puller with a 14mm and then turn the bolt with a 5/16 and the belt will loosen. On the outside (water pump/ps) you have to loosen the adjuster with a 12mm and the pivot on the power steering with a 14mm and then turn the adjuster with a 12mm.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:50 PM
2011 Sentra
2000 Nissan Sentra

WOW! now it took me three hours to change the belts yesterday. I came across this thread and realized that there is no mention of the 14mm bolt to be removed in the manual. Somehow I did get it on, but it might have been much faster. So if I understand correctly, There is a 12mm bolt behind the power steering, another 12 mm to the left of it and a 14mm pivot bolt on the power steering part. All these have to be loosened. Then for the AC/Alternator belt, (yea that was easy), there is a 14mm pivot bolt on the idler pulley and an 8mm bolt (long bolt) to the right of the AC part of the belt. Correct?
Old 04-13-2009, 10:10 AM
Enthusiast

2003 Altima

i have a 2002 Sentra and in need to replace the belts. I was taking a look and its seems almost the same. on the outside belt, there is one bolt behind the ( water pump?) that loosens it and then just turn the adjuster screw to move the pump in and loosen the belt.
Then on the inside i think you have to loose the bolt on the idle pulley and then move the adjusting screw to move the idle pulley out which loosens the belt...really tight spaces though, i'm sure it going to be fun trying to to work in there.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:32 AM
Enthusiast

2003 Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by gj7family View Post
As a matter of fact, I changed both belts on my 2000 Sentra 1.8 this morning. The inside (AC/Alt) belt is actually easier. You only have to loosed the idler puller with a 14mm and then turn the bolt with a 5/16 and the belt will loosen. On the outside (water pump/ps) you have to loosen the adjuster with a 12mm and the pivot on the power steering with a 14mm and then turn the adjuster with a 12mm.

Hello, regarding the outside belt:

When you say to loosen the pivot with a 14mm on the power steering, where is that bolt? I just came inside from looking at it and i see the 12 mm bolt to loosen the adjuster in the back and i see the bolt on the adjuster itself.

WHich other 14mm bolt do i have to loosen? do you mean the big bolt in the center of the power steering pulley? I imagine not, because that one seems much larger than 14mm.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:53 AM
Enthusiast

2003 Altima

Anybody out there knows where this 14mm bolt is on the power steering assembly??
Old 04-28-2009, 05:14 AM
redwhitetj

The 14 mm bolt is on the bottom of the power steering unit. If you slide under the car from the front, the bolt is about 3 inches away fron the oil filter toward the passanger side of the car.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:16 AM
redwhitetj

Sorry, I am speaking of my sentra, not an altima. Hopefully it is in the same place.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:25 AM
Enthusiast

2003 Altima

Oh ok, so its something that is not accessible from the top of engine. You have to get under the car, right?
Old 04-30-2009, 12:01 PM
redwhitetj

Yes, you have to get under the car. You can not see the bolt from the top.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:57 PM
Enthusiast

2003 Altima

Ok i'll take a look. I was under the impression you could do the whole thing working from the top.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:05 AM
1999 Altima
1993 Altima

1999 Nissan Sentra Gxe 1.6 engine: Thanks for this information. Otherwise the belts would still be off.

Tags
belts, nissan, sentra