Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2004 sentra 1.8s    gas spills out when pumping Forums > > 2004 sentra 1.8s    gas spills out when pumping 2004 sentra 1.8s gas spills out when pumping
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Sentra Nissan Sentra Discussion Forum

Old 08-15-2007, 05:53 PM
edc

Question 2004 sentra 1.8s gas spills out when pumping

the last few times i have tried to pump gas . it spills out the fill pipe after a few seconds of fueling. it takes a long time to fill the tank. i also have belt issues, wering out in months ( start to make nosies)
Old 08-15-2007, 06:09 PM
rolano

We have a 2005 Sentra and the gas spill out after about 1 gallon.
Every day we have to go to the gas station for (1) gal. of gasoline.
No joke!!! After one gallon, the gas will spill out of the neck.

Dealer says it is not a warranty issue "MI000 Need Vent Control Valve/Canister $79.
FX16AA Install Fuel Pump Repair Kit
22670-8U70C Regulator
17342-01A00 Ring O Fue

Says cost will be $350 approximately.
How is this not a warranty/safety/recall/service bulletin or some issue that requires the manufacturer to pay for this repair? There was another couple in line with the exact same problem.

Can anyone out there advise?
Old 08-15-2007, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Quote:
i also have belt issues, wering out in months ( start to make nosies)
Try adjusting the belt.

Quote:
the last few times i have tried to pump gas . it spills out the fill pipe after a few seconds of fueling. it takes a long time to fill the tank
You may have a problem with the Refueling Control Valve (see image below). If the valve is not working properly, the gases inside the tank will not escape during refueling.

Before replacing the valve, there are some test that needs to be done. Download the "Engine Control" section of the service manual, page 627 shows how to test the valve and the refueling system components.

http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowledgebase/links/117
Attached Thumbnails
2004 sentra 1.8s    gas spills out when pumping-figure1-gif  
Old 08-16-2007, 01:20 AM
Gomer

When my car starts making nosies at me, I tend to wonder if I should drive less.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:57 PM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Sentra
2003 Sentra
2002 Sentra GXE

i think that if the gas pump spills when you refuel, it is a real safety issue. it could cause your car (and you, too :() to get burned. i would call Nissan and DEMAND they fix it.

A guy i work with had something like that happen to his wife and daughter. His wife and daughter were refueling the car (Chevy van) when the fuel nozzle would not shut off. the daughter tried to take the nozzle out and fuel spilled on the ground, and under the van. the vapors were ignited by the hot exhaust. Bothe were burned, the daughter more seriously. the van and the gas station burned down. this was the pump's fault, not the car's. However, i think youo have the same danger.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:02 PM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Sentra
2003 Sentra
2002 Sentra GXE

here is the link to the story:

Fire engulfs van, injures two people at gas station

The story states that the 2 were released from the hospital. however, the daughter is severly burned and was medevaced to a burn unit in a larger city. she is still in the hosp., and wil be for a while.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:05 PM
enviroaneff

I have a 2005 Sentra and have the exact same fuel spillage problem -- the fumes shoot out of the gas line as soon as I open the cover. Then when I try to pump in gas after a few seconds fuel comes spilling back out of the fill hose. This happens even if I try to get the pump to pump the gas as slow as possible. I have also had the dealer tell me the same thing as Rolano except he wants to charge me around $500. My car won't pass inspection until I get this fixed because we have emissions testing. I believe this is all is related to the voluntary recall that Nissan had of 2005 Sentra's for the fuel vapor problem. I am very concerned because this seems like an extremely dangerous situation. Not only could it ignite from spillage while pumping gas, I am concerned what would happen if someone would hit me from behind and ignited the fumes. Is there anyone else out there with the same problem or thoughts?
Old 08-17-2007, 12:22 PM
Gomer

From what this sounds like, it should be an easy back yard fix. I'm glad I do my own work; no one can charge me $500 for something I can do myself.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:28 AM
kapes13

Cool Same issue, same car, let's find the answer!

Greetings and thanks to the forum for this oppotunity for us Nissan owners to have these discussions!!

I am here to post to the fact that you can count me and my poor "Billy" - Nissan Sentra 1.8S 2004 57K miles - in on the "gas out the spout" club!!!

I am in the same boat now and have been on the path to solve this dreadful, not to mention "UNSAFE" condition for this car!!! I am completely frustrated and my hand STILL HURTS from being burned by the rush of fuel out of the spout this morning trying to put more gas in Billy so I could go to work I am stuck at home with my hand burning and a huge gas spill at the poor gas station I was at and I don't have enough fuel to get to my dealer let alone the Doctor to check my hand.

Before I go on MAKE SURE YOU 2004 1.8S owners get your cars to the dealer and get new catalatic converter, exaust tube, gaskets, and your emissions systems fixed under recall that is not available anywhere I have spent already a month on that problem and now this one comes up right away after just get to the dealer and get it fixed if you haven't.

Okay, in regards to the current situation, and thanks to the already helpful advice posted, I am on the lookout to see who would have the EVAP Canister Vent Control Valve which obviuosly has malfunctioned for me as well (two P1446 codes on OBD II) - after the month-long fight I had with the dealer over the exhaust I am just not ready to deal with them again - a call about this issue turned up a response of "we have never had that situation and don't know what to do about it" just makes me more livid at this dealer.

After talking to 2 Nissan dealers about this issue and receiving 2 of the same quote "never had this issue don't know what to do", and also attempting to place a formal complaint with Nissan USA and just getting redirected to the same dealers, I am going to enlisted a well recommended family-owned ASE shop for some advice and just to see if they would be able to locate this part and change it out or just get it would be good.

If anyone out here beats me to the punch and gets an idea of where to get the part and change it I would greatly appreciate it and if I have success I will share once again with you how to resolve this and to add to the assistance get your exaust fixed too and also COMPLAIN TO NISSAN ABOUT THIS this is a defect which they need to recognize and get solved before someone posts that someone died from this!!

Thanks for listening. I really want to go get a GM again now but I am stuck!!:confused:

Here is the update for those of you who encounter the same issue --> This is indeed the vent control valve and my dealer gives me an estimate of 313.00 for replacement and I am sure they have to re-prime the fuel system since it is pressurized and I am sure that will get taken care of and it certainly is not something one can do without the proper equipment and expertise so we are going this route and yes I have to replace the serpentine belt too like all you others but I have saved a lot in mileage (got up to 40MPG in this car on Ultra94 and 39 on regular if you take it easy) - so you win some and you lose some but keep on top of your car and keep posting and supporting these forums who help us so much THANKS and good luck Nissan owners that is all!!!

Last edited by kapes13; 08-31-2007 at 08:57 AM. Reason: finish original message
Old 12-21-2007, 07:26 AM
iiredalert

Default Nissan Sentra 1.8s, same problem observed in august this year.

Hi,

I have the same problem with the fueling of the car, it started around August and my service engine light has been on since then and just yesterday I checked out the code at my friend's house - It is indeed P1446.

A couple of days ago I got my oil changed and I asked the dealership if they have ever heard of anything like this and they said NO, and didn't seem to care much about it.

Maybe if we post enough complaints on Office of Defects Investigation (ODI) there would be an investigation with theese problems.

I also checked for any recalls on Sentras on that same website but I only got 1 recall which applies to 2.5L engine versions. No recalls on what you were explaining about the catalatic converter, exhaust tube....

Ivan
Old 09-15-2008, 03:03 PM
2004 Sentra

Hi everyone,

I have the same gas problem with my '04 Sentra 1.8S. . . . If anyone finds something out then please feel free to e-mail me, [email protected]

Thank You all
Old 09-16-2008, 10:51 AM
Enthusiast

2005 Sentra 1.8 S

I just started having the same problem the other day. I noticed that when I took the gas cap off, it made a wooshing noise. I didnt pay much attention, but after about a gallon of gas it all came rushing back out at me. If anyone has a fix I would greatly appreciate it..

Forgot to note: I have a 2005 1.8s Sentra
Old 09-16-2008, 11:14 AM
iiredalert

Hello, I had the same problem last year on my 2004 1.8s Nissan Sentra. The engine code i had was P1446 as I had written on one of my earlier posts. I think it was 'pump control valve' or something, but basically what happens is the air is not properly let out of the gas tank as you're pumping gas in and it spills out on you. I took my car to the dealer and told them the error code and description and they fixed it for me ( of course you have to agree to a 90$ check engine light check..the usual), my car was still under warranty (the Gold one) and i just had to pay a 50$ deductible, but I think without warranty it would be a little over 150$ ..not exactly sure.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:46 PM
CHallspitfire

canister purge valve is stuck in closed position. i was able to remove mine and lubricate it while energizing the solenoid (on the bench) w/12vdc. 1 year ago and still fine. located at rear behind fuel filler (driver side)

pics online will help u to find. 10mm wrench / socket
Old 04-27-2009, 02:02 AM
dilkal

Quote:
Originally Posted by NissanTech View Post
Try adjusting the belt.

You may have a problem with the Refueling Control Valve (see image below). If the valve is not working properly, the gases inside the tank will not escape during refueling.

Before replacing the valve, there are some test that needs to be done. Download the "Engine Control" section of the service manual, page 627 shows how to test the valve and the refueling system components.

Knowledgebase - 2004 Sentra - Nissanhelp.com
Hi! It appears that this Refueling Control Valve is located inside the fuel tank, and this is not the so called Vent Control Valve. Pls. advise. Thanks.

Tags
18s, 2004, gas, pumping, sentra, spills