Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Rate this model! Forums > > Rate this model! Rate this model!
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Sentra Nissan Sentra Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Default Rate this model!

Please take a moment to share your opinions about this model with others.

Click here to rate and write a review for your Nissan Sentra

Last edited by NissanTech; 09-18-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:51 AM
blk spec

I will never buy another nissan vehicle and I will make sure none of friends ever go through the pain of owning one either. The 2.5L sentra is the worst vehicle I have ever owned.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:26 AM
sshenold

I've got an old 1992 Sentra E that's still going strong. Probably the most reliable, economical car I've ever owned. Truly a worthy successor to the old Datsun 210s of the late 70's. My grandfather bought one of those new, and over the years it was passed around the family until finally my step-sister sold it off with more than 500,000 miles. My Sentra is still doing just fine after 230,000 miles with no more than routine maintenance required so far (knock on wood). And even now, if I drive it carefully and don't run the air conditioning, I can still get between 38 and 40 mpg on the highway.

Can't say anything for the newer models, though.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:35 AM
Pieman47

I have a 2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R that I love. I only really got it because my brother and mother both have one, and they were always telling me I should get one. I finally got one for my wife, and I liked it so much I pretty much took it away from her.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:01 AM
2003 Sentra SE-R Spec V

i have a modded 2003 sentra spec v. ive had the typical pre cat issues, and the butterfly screw problems but i worked them outself and the car allways puts a smile on my face when i mash the pedal. it just turned 98k on the odo and is still on its origanal clutch from when the car was made in late 02
www.myspecv.com
www.tristatetuners.com
Old 01-03-2009, 06:10 AM
neogeo007

My mother purchased this car brand new and it has been an absolute piece of crap. Further to the endless repairs, the dealers she also purchased the extra warranty package and the dealers kept prolonging any issues until it was too late to get them fixed. The 2001 sentra has had issues from the temp switch to engine sensors to rusted gas pipe, noisy struts, corroded wiring for horn and interior lights, leaking radiator fluid, rusted door because of bad drainage, etc. Definitely not a car to purchase or suggest to a friend. buyer beware. I purchased a used Honda civic from the same year, it currently has 40,000km more and still no problems with the car (just as a comparison of age).
Old 01-25-2009, 07:13 PM
Fishin Phil

Default 2007 Nissan Sentra 2.0

This car was a rental car with 26,000 miles on it when I bought it.
I have had it for 6 months now and it is okay for an economy car.
The suspension is kind of spongy, and the side view mirror set up is pretty sad. How much would it cost for power mirrors? Come on Nissan let's think about what the customer wants. Otherwise I am 6 foot tall and I have plenty of head and leg room. I bought this car because I got a really good deal. I am hoping it will be like my 1987 Sentra and run strong with no problems. Time will tell.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:03 AM
e nissan

Cool 2005 Sentra 1.8 Special Edition

My son bought this car new against my recommondations. Well, he has had the head repaired because it cracked at 50,000 miles, then it threw a rod a 77,000 miles. Bought an engine from a 2004 with 20,000 miles on it, now it blew the head gasket. This is not to mention the small issues with the car. All I can say is "It's a piece of S**T!!! I have owned only two Nissan's (Datsun) in the past, a 68 pick up (old beater that I put a 1.6 out of a 510) and a 78 280Z that I loved to pieces! That old engine that Datsun used (1.6, 1.8, 2.0 4cyl & 2.4, 2.6, 2.8 6cyl of the 70's) were the best engines they ever built!! Always ran, rain or shine and got good gas mileage.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:29 PM
blk spec

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk spec View Post
I will never buy another nissan vehicle and I will make sure none of friends ever go through the pain of owning one either. The 2.5L sentra is the worst vehicle I have ever owned.
December 31 2008 I traded my 02 SpecV. I am glad to see it go. I did not and never will buy another nissan. I put 2 MAFS in it, head gasket, a new engine, a few crank sensors, and the trunk leaked at one time. I traded it with 152,000 miles on it when the rear window broke for no reason. I was standing near it when it happened. It wasn't hot outside or anything like that. I threw at least 5 codes a month. I own a code reader/eraser and it paid for itself 50 times over. Nissan would not admit there is a problem with the 2.5L engines. I tried calling and emailing and did not get any responses. Nissan is a company that does not care or give support to their customers. Good luck to the people who still own one.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:03 PM
Paul Pal

Default Nissan Sentra 2.0 2007 - 8 -9 and on

This model, when developed was supposed to be Nissan North America's cheapest model (we unfortunately have to keep it in mind..) then came Versa.
Regarding this model (B16) the only thing really bad is the suspension: It is the worse one could develop for a car: the coils and the shock absorbers were not tuned. Thats mine impression and also Edmunds impression: see what they said:
"Climb over a speed bump with the new Sentra and there's more impact harshness than there is in the Civic or Corolla. In particular, the front gets jolted while the rear seems to take its time settling back down. The natural front-drive understeer is relatively mild and there's negligible body roll during hard cornering, so it's no surprise that the car is quick through the slalom at 64.3 mph. But a go-kart is quick through the slalom, too, and it doesn't have much suspension travel either.
On the skid pad the Sentra SL orbited to the tune of 0.75g, which is exactly the performance of the modestly shod, natural-gas-fueled Honda Civic GX we recently tested. But while the Honda reached its limits when the tires gave up adhesion, the Sentra first finds its suspension bump stops and only then do the tires give up. This is a suspension that's in need of retuning for both better comfort and confidence when its limits are approached".

Other than that seems to be on par with other Japanese brands (I am driving it for 6 months with no problems (other than the poor suspension)...
Old 04-16-2009, 01:10 PM
slogo2

Unhappy Sentra 2001 = piece of crap

Quote:
Originally Posted by neogeo007 View Post
My mother purchased this car brand new and it has been an absolute piece of crap. Further to the endless repairs, the dealers she also purchased the extra warranty package and the dealers kept prolonging any issues until it was too late to get them fixed. The 2001 sentra has had issues from the temp switch to engine sensors to rusted gas pipe, noisy struts, corroded wiring for horn and interior lights, leaking radiator fluid, rusted door because of bad drainage, etc. Definitely not a car to purchase or suggest to a friend. buyer beware. I purchased a used Honda civic from the same year, it currently has 40,000km more and still no problems with the car (just as a comparison of age).

Same problem, only 91000km + now P0420, P1490, cost me $$$$$. I switch from an old Ford mustang (never had trouble) an i regret
Old 06-02-2009, 09:47 AM
Enthusiast
2002 Sentra

Have a 2002 gxe with 200,000. So far, so good. Nissan does not do the best with their service departments which makes them scary to deal with at times. I originally bought mine at a dealer locally and they had the worst service manager you could find. Nissan refused to do anything about the mirror covers that broke shortly after the purchase and the oil dip stick is a joke. Had to have rear motor on a window replaced. I ordered cruise but they delivered one without it and had to return the car. Recently took it to a another dealer to have new valve cover gasket installed and when I got down the road a ways I checked under the hood and they did not even clean around the engine after working on it and left a set of tools under the hood which I found when I could not close the hood good. Yea, I will stay away from that bunch. It never ceases to amaze me at how much businesses try to run people off?
Old 07-29-2009, 07:13 PM
waveriderj

2006 1.8
It gets 38MPG on highway road trips, but only 28MPG otherwise.
over the last few months it's had issues with hard starts, but otherwise runs fine. I'd give it a 5 out of 10
Old 08-01-2009, 10:32 PM
jskey

01 Sentra

Crankshaft positioning sensor
Camshaft postioning sensor
Fuel pump
Swirl Valve
AC failure
2 ignition coils

Now it looks like it needs an ecm.

Talk about high maintenace, my daughter bought this car and I was thinking of buying a new Nissan, but after this experience,

No Thanks.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:42 AM
Enthusiast
2004 Sentra

Wow.. I'm surprised to read so many negative comments. My '04 1.8 manual with 80k miles on it still runs like I just drove it off the lot.

The only problems I've had was a broken belt early on and, just recently, the infamous vapor control valve.

I bought it after owning a Altima SE that I loved.. until I rear-ended someone while trying to change radio stations. :-(

The only thing I don't like about my Sentra, it doesn't do well in the snow despite its front wheel drive.

I'd never take my car to a dealership for anything other than warranty or recall repairs (not even for the free oil changes they threw in when I bought my Sentra). My experience with dealership service is they're way overpriced for crappier service and they always seem to throw on unecessary repairs. Find a reputable privately owned service shop.
Closed Thread

Tags
model, rate