Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Idle Under Load...2005 Sentra 1.8s Forums > > Idle Under Load...2005 Sentra 1.8s Idle Under Load...2005 Sentra 1.8s
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Sentra Nissan Sentra Discussion Forum

Old 02-21-2017, 10:28 AM
2005 Sentra

Default Idle Under Load...2005 Sentra 1.8s

Hello y'all,

I've recently done a massive tune-up to my wife's 05 Sentra 1.8s, and am still having some idle issues. Here's what I've done recently:

-Spark Plugs
-Fuel Pump
-Cleaned MAF
-Replaced air filter
-SeaFoamed engine
-Replaced belts
-Thermostat

And yet, under load, the car still idles poorly. It actually idles GREAT with the A/C off, but when the A/C is on, the idle drops a bit, from 800 to 600 or so, and shakes a bit. It doesn't seem like the alternator is bad, we have no typical issues one would have with alternator, and no noise from it. We recently replaced the battery though...and the battery they put in it (my wife's car) is quite a bit smaller than the actual battery tray. In fact, the posts holding it down are loose, and I have to zip-tie it down. When the A/C and fans kick on, I've noticed the lights dim slightly...is it possible that the battery they sold her isn't the right size for the car?

Last edited by texx2818; 02-21-2017 at 10:33 AM.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:05 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

1. So the battery post is a bit smaller and you've tightened the battery cable terminal all the way and still a bit loose. You either replace the cable terminal or do this: Go to Home Depot, Ace, etc. and buy a copper tube already cut up about 1 1/2 inch. It will be wider than your battery post. With a Snipper, cut the tube lenghtwise so that you'll remove about 3/16 of inch. Simply press to close the gap and insert into the battery post. I did this on mine after I replaced the battery.

2. With the above completed, take a voltage reading (new battery) you should get 12.6v. Start engine and after reaching normal operating temperature, turn on your a/c, headlights, fog lights, radio, turn signal, window defogger, etc. Then take a voltage reading again (this is called a load test). You should get at least 14.5v. If you get less than 14v, your alternator could be failing specially if it hasn't been replaced. Also check negative cable connections at chassis and into the engine block. good luck.

Tags
1.8s, 18s, idle, load, load2005, sentra