Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Need assistance: Engine shakes at startup, cold air Forums > > Need assistance: Engine shakes at startup, cold air Need assistance: Engine shakes at startup, cold air
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Sentra Nissan Sentra Discussion Forum

Old 01-03-2012, 02:47 PM
Mentality

Default Need assistance: Engine shakes at startup, cold air

Hey guys

I'm pretty new to this auto repair thing so bare with me.

I have a '02 Sentra GXE 1.8l 85k miles (ish)
The engine started shaking on startup when it was cold outside. It would shakes for 30s or so then level out and work fine. I replaced the air filter (needed to anyway) and went on my merry way. It started happening again and I finally got a Error code (I don't have it written down anymore) that said to missfire in cylinder 3. I replaced all the plugs which cleared the error code after about a day but it still shakes on startup. I noticed about a week ago that the coolant was low in the radiator (fine in the overflow) so I put more in. I noticed roughly the same time that the car blows cool air when it's idle.
After a pretty cold night I couldn't get the car to start until I pumped the gas for a couple minutes, haven't had that issue since, normally I park in the garage. Today the warm air seems to have stopped completely. It was a pretty slow drive (25-40ish). I will take the freeway home to confirm.

From what I was reading people were saying there may be air in the cooling system that could cause the no warm air on idle, could it also cause the rest of the issues? The head gasket also seems to problematic from my reading, how about that?

More info: Pretty regular service. 10 year old battery (odd?). No service light on currently. Cold here is 30f or so. It starts fine when the engine is warm.

Any help you guys could provide I would really appreciate. I can't really afford to take it to the dealer to get fixed right now.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:55 PM
Mentality

Hey guys

Just wanted to add a quick followup. After posting this I did a bit more research and air pockets in the coolant system and shaking when cold are both symptoms of a broken head gasket. I took it to a mechanic and he confirmed that my coolant was leaking into cylinder 2 and 3. $1100 repair, oye. (This one I don't think I am capable of doing without a second vehicle)
Old 01-06-2012, 08:51 AM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Sentra
2003 Sentra
2002 Sentra GXE

that's exactly what i would have diagnosed- HG failure. $1100 is not a bad price for the repair. if you know how to do it, you can do it yourself for less. However, it will take a couple of days at least.

Tags
air, assistance, cold, coolant, engine, sentra, shakes, startup