Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Code P0300 2009 Sentra - HELP, please Forums > > Code P0300 2009 Sentra - HELP, please Code P0300 2009 Sentra - HELP, please
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Sentra Nissan Sentra Discussion Forum

Old 10-12-2011, 01:50 PM
woodysgirl92910

Default Code P0300 2009 Sentra - HELP, please

I know next to nothing about cars (yes, I am a girl...LOL) This weekend the service engine light came on in the car - steady, never blinking. I had just gassed up the tank. I pulled out the manual and read it could be the gas cap. I pulled over, re-tightened the cap and continued driving-the manual said if that was the issue, the light would eventually go off.

Well, the engine light stayed on. I went to the dealer today and they indicated a code P0300, for multi cylinder misfires (greek to me), then they told me there would be a $260 charge to pull the intake stuff off and look at it, but that from their opinion, the engine would need to be replaced ($6500) and that it was because they assumed failure to get regular oil changes.

I have gotten pretty regular oil changes on the vehicle (has 58,000 miles on it, 2 years old) but since I failed to keep all of my receipts, they will not fix the problem - which should still be under the 5year/100k warranty I have.

Plus, I have NO failure to start issues/rough start, no idling issues, no apparent pick-up/acceleration issues. NO rotten egg smell either.

So, now that you have a bit of background - time for questions.

1) From what I have read, the code is pretty generic (and doesnt really identify a specific problem) but fixes seem to be spark plugs or catalytic converter replacement? Is that correct? What is the least expensive way to figure out what is wrong?

2) What are the dangers of driving the car, since I don't have $6500 to spare?

3) Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 10-12-2011, 04:19 PM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Sentra
2003 Sentra
2002 Sentra GXE

First thing, FIND ANOTHER DEALER!! they are trying to rip you off. If it is an engine problem, it should be under warranty. Get the codes read by autozone or Advance auto. then check what the causes could be. Sometimes resetting the code fixes it. here is a link to all the codes: OBD II trouble codes. - B15sentra.net - Nissan Sentra Forum

I would go to another dealer if you have to go that route. IF it is an engine, they should pay for it.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:17 AM
woodysgirl92910

Thanks so much for the response. I feel much better now. I have continued my research and appreciate your direction to other places to search.

Going to take the car to a local guy here and share with him the Nissan dealer story...hopefully to better and less expensive news!
Old 10-13-2011, 03:56 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

I totally agree with "JudoJohn". Go to Car Zone or similar auto parts store and have your ECM scanned. You want to verify what the dealer told you was correct or was it a lie.

You said the MIL came on after you gas up. Its possible the gas cap wasn't tight enough that it triggered the EVAP leak. Its a habit of mine I have to hear 3-4 clicks when putting the gas cap back. You did not mention of prior misfire so P0300 (random misfire) is fishy right now. Lets give the dealer the benefit of the doubt for now. So verify the info by having someone else scan your ecm.

Yes, look for independent repair shops especially those that does a lot of work on Nissan cars.

Tags
2009, code, p0300, sentra