Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Flush or drain? Forums > > Flush or drain? Flush or drain?
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Sentra Nissan Sentra Discussion Forum

Old 07-01-2011, 06:18 AM
fla_sentra

Default Flush or drain?

I own a 2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8L with automatic transmission. It has 109,660 miles on it. I have never serviced the transmission, and want to do this as soon as possible. However, I don't know whether to have it flushed or drained. My local Nissan service center recommends flushing, but I have heard from friends that this is not really necessary and can possibly damage the tranmission. Could someone please help me to understand the pros and cons of each? And what do they actually do with each of them (do they replace the filter, gasket, etc.)?

Also, I have read that my car requires a special transmission fluid, Genuine Nissan Matic D ATF. Does anyone know if this is only available to the Nissan service centers? Or can I go to any service shop?

Last edited by fla_sentra; 07-01-2011 at 06:37 AM.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Performing a transmission flush includes connecting a machine to exchange most of the fluid from the transmission and transmission lines; the service also includes cleaners to remove any built up inside the transmission, and additives for a better transmission performance.

Draining the fluid just includes removing the transmission pan drain plug and filling it up. Only about half of the fluid gets drained and refilled.

In theory the transmission flush works better and in some cases it does helps fixing transmission problems, unfortunately I had bad experience with the transmission flushes specially with high mileage (100K ++) vehicles. After the flush, the vehicles started developing shifting problems and eventually failed.

My suggestion is to just drain the fluid. Draining the fluid it’s what the factory recommends, the price is much lower than the flush and is unlikely that you will have any problems after the service.

Quote:
Also, I have read that my car requires a special transmission fluid, Genuine Nissan Matic D ATF. Does anyone know if this is only available to the Nissan service centers? Or can I go to any service shop?
You can go to any shop, just have them buy the Nissan Matic D fluid for you from the dealer.

Last edited by NissanTech; 07-03-2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:52 AM
fla_sentra

Default Thank you

Thank you NissanTech for advice and such quick reply!
Old 07-02-2011, 05:10 AM
Brian Wader

I had a trans flush on my 05 sentra automatic at 78,000 miles a couple weeks ago.
1. No problems first day.
2. P0720 code came up the 2nd day vehicle speed sensor/ electrical etc.
3. Symptoms had shifting problems/ stuck in 2nd gear sometimes/ sometimes no problems at all. Cruise control stopped working.
4. Took it to an auto shop they replaced the vehicle speed sensor and cleared the code. Mechanic noted on the receipt a little lag from 2nd to 3rd, ran fine in test drive.
5. Drove it home, no problems I feel like a satisfied customer and happy.
6. Later on in the day P0720 came up again. I guess sometime I used cruise control and it stopped working. Had shifting problems just not so bad this time intermittently would be stuck in 2nd gear, other times it would shift just at a much higher rpm than usual.
7. Went back to the place that "fixed it" before told them the code came up again showed my autozone receipt for P0720.
8.They looked at it cleared the code and pretty much said don't use cruise control to see if I have any more problems.
9. So now Im going to a Nissan repair shop that will at least know what they are working on to fix it right the first time.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:27 AM
hogan

dont flush the sentra - I will flush anything but a nissan

nissan states only drain trans and only use nissan tranny fluid -they mean it

I just had a tranny replaced under warranty 65k - they asked about flush/drain - luckily only nissan has ever touched the car had anyone flushed it it woulda been sol

Tags
drain, flush