Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Lower Front Control Arm Failing? Forums > > Lower Front Control Arm Failing? Lower Front Control Arm Failing?
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Sentra Nissan Sentra Discussion Forum

Old 07-01-2011, 06:35 AM
fla_sentra

Default Lower Front Control Arm Failing?

I own a 2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8L, automatic transmission, with 109,660 miles on it. I went to my local Nissan service center a few months ago for a $10.00 oil change which includes a full inspection. They said that I needed to replace both of the lower front control arms, that the bushings were busted. They wanted to charge $800.00 to do this.

I went to another mechanic (independent) for a second opinion. They said there is nothing wrong with the lower front control arms, just some paint flaking off. I was relieved until I noticed that my car seems to wander some, especially when on the highway at high speeds. It doesn't seem to pull to either side, just a general unsteadiness.

I went to a third mechanic who offers a free AAA inspection, and while they were doing this inspection, I asked them to go ahead and check out the front end. I didn't tell them that Nissan thought the control arms need replaced. I wanted to see what they would come up with on their own. They said that the alignment was really off with a lot of toe-in. They said that the caster and camber was also off, but it is not possible to adjust this on my car. I had them do a 4-wheel alignment and tire rotation, hoping this would fix the problem. It seemed to at first, and felt better driving, but after about a week, I realized that the wandering problem is still there.

I don't know if it is related, but I my last set of tires only lasted 2 years. I had them replaced last year due to bad cupping. Maybe I didn't get my tires rotated often enough, but I want to mention this is case it is relevant.

Please advise me, do you think that I need to be concerned about the lower front control arms? Does it sound like they are failing? Or could it be something else?

Last edited by fla_sentra; 07-01-2011 at 06:44 AM.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:56 AM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Sentra
2003 Sentra
2002 Sentra GXE

bad cupping is inidicative of shock failure. Have you ever replaced your struts? If not, that would help a lot.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:49 PM
Master Enthusiast

2004 sentra

REAR STROUTS NEED TO BE REPLACE ???
Let us know!

Tags
arm, control, failing, front, lower