Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
engine turns over but won't start Forums > > engine turns over but won't start engine turns over but won't start
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Sentra Nissan Sentra Discussion Forum

Old 10-26-2010, 02:21 PM
bluedog

Default engine turns over but won't start

I would really appreciate any advice on what might be wrong with my 2007 Sentra. Have taken it to the dealer 3 times and they can't determine what the problem is. The engine turns over and sounds normal, just won't start. Computer gives a code that says "tampering". They rekeyed the chip in my keys and then they replaced a sensor around the ignition. Sometimes it will go a week and not have the problem, but when it does, it's a problem. So far, I've been able to eventually get it to start by slowly pressing the accelerator and releasing it 3 times. But, yesterday it took 9 attempts. The dealer doesn't know what else to try. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Have you or the dealer checked if there is fuel pressure and spark while the problem is occurring?
Old 10-26-2010, 03:35 PM
bluedog

I don't know if the dealer checked these. Is there a way I can check this myself?
Old 10-27-2010, 02:36 AM
2015 Rogue

Does the vehicle have any aftermarket accessories?
ASE Master Certified.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:33 AM
bluedog

No, as far as I know, it doesn't.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:02 PM
tcrimsonk

Was there any resolution to this? My girflfriend's 07 sentra does the same thing. 47k miles and bone stock. It hasn't left her stranded but id like to get it fixed before it does. Thanks. -Darren
Old 04-08-2011, 08:06 PM
Nissan07

I have a exactly same problem and service department at Nissan told me the same thing as you mentioned. They rekeyed the chip in my keys and then they replaced a sensor around the ignition. I also received a new key. I have found out when this problem occurs all I need to do is put the car in neutral and move it about a feet or two and I can immediatly start the car. I have provided this information to the Dealer in Houston(Baker Jackson) and Iam scheduled to take it in to replace couple of sensors next week. Since this is a random issue and this may not happen for a month I will post the result later time.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:02 AM
Nmcrabtree

I have a 2004 Nissan Altima. Everything was fine until 2 days ago, woke up and car was slow to turn over...it cranked and sounded find, but very slow. After sitting for a few hours it would not start. Replace the battery after jumping it twice and all was good started right up. Now, the day after replacing the battery once again it will not start. You can hear the engine cranking and after continually doing this for a few seconds it starts, I let it run for a few minutes and it starts right up. But if I wait for a couple of hours the same thing happens but not sure what the problem may be. I did notice that when changing the battery one of the cables was hard to tighten because ring that goes around battery post is cracked. Could this be the problem?
Old 07-10-2011, 02:26 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

Yeah, you need to change your battery cable terminal. Your not getting good contact.

It happen to me when I replaced my battery. The new battery post was a tad smaller and I can't tightened the terminal anymore. I twist it around until the cable butts the front frame and it stays really tight. No more problem.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:12 PM
cal.fam

The owners manual says that other keys or fobs on your key ring can interfere with your immoblizer circuit. It will prevent the fuel pump from running. The red light that flashes on your dash all the time is the immoblizer indicator. If it comes on and stays on while you try to start the car, it has not properly read the radio frequency from your key and will not turn on the fuel pump. Try using your other key and see if it works better. When I have a problem, I remove my key from the the key ring, wait ten seconds and try again, with only the key (no key chain).

good luck
Jimbo
Old 12-20-2020, 09:05 AM
2007 Xterra

Default Nissan Xterra

I have a 2007 Nissan Xterra 4.0 V6 Automatic it has a problem of starting back up if you have drove it somewhere and come back out it want start for about 10 minutes and it's not throwing any codes I've had it to the dealer they couldn't fix it. Could someone please help me....
Old 12-20-2020, 10:49 AM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

According to you there are no error light which means the problem is not monitored by the onboard computer. And you haven't told us what the dealer has done so far. So I start from scratch as if no one has tried to fix it and I'll Keep It Simple.

Let's start:
1. How old is your battery. Have it checked, take voltage reading. If 12V or less its on the way out, replace. If at least 12.25 its good. Check battery fluid. Check battery post for gunk buildup, if so, remove cable, clean post and may be apply dieelectric. Also inspect battery cable if they are rusted and cable strand are broken up, if so replace cable.
2. Go under the engine and trace Negative cable to Chassis to make sure connection is solid and no corrosion. Continue inspection of neg cable to engine block again to be sure connection is solid. You may remove, clean and reinstall. While at it check Positive cable connection at the starter.
3. Ignition switch: the switch could be failing. When you try to start it sends signal to starter. The signal wire could be corroded, frayed, etc.
4. A possibility the Starter is on the way out.

This is the order I would be looking at. Hope this helps.
Old 12-21-2020, 04:17 AM
2007 Xterra

Default Nissan Xterra

Dealer did nothing tried to say it was the ipdm and it wasn't my son-in-law told them to get ours back and it put it back on in seconds. My Xterra runs great. It's got 140,000 miles on it I'm the second owner. It's got new fuel pump, new sensors, new battery. It just want start back up immediately after going somewhere. It takes about 10 minutes before it will start again.It will turn over to start but it want. I feel like Rusty Wallace did not do as we ask letting it warm up about 15 minutes and then trying to start it. It does not throw a code so we don't know. We have done everything we know to do I feel like the Nissan dealer ship should have fixed it. They told us they did fix it.We picked it up the day before Thanksgiving right at closing time that's when the story was about the ipdm box. Of course got home wouldn't start back up. So the day after Thanksgiving took it back, their story was it could be it could be. But they kept our money.

Tags
engine, start, turns