Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
All Models, All Years 2014 370Z Coupe 2014 370Z Coupe Nismo 2014 370Z Roadster 2013 Altima Coupe 2014 Altima Sedan 2014 Armada 2014 Cube 2014 Frontier Crew 2014 Frontier King 2014 GT-R 2014 JUKE 2014 JUKE NISMO 2013 Leaf 2014 Maxima
2014 Murano 2013 CrossCabriolet 2013 NV Cargo 2013 NV Passenger 2013 NV200 2014 Pathfinder 2014 Pathfinder Hybrid 2014 Quest 2014 Rogue 2014 Sentra 2014 Titan Crew 2014 Titan King 2014 Versa Note 2014 Versa Sedan 2014 Xterra Concept Models
MyNissan Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Tech Challenge Game Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms Cost Estimator More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts Ultimate Reflector Auto Sun Shades Custom Fit Car Covers Auto Snow Shades Berber Auto Mats Coco Auto Mats Designer Auto Mats Diamond Plate Auto Mats Fashion Auto Mats Flexomats Auto Mats Hexomats Auto Mats
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Forums Nissan Models Sentra engine turns over but won't start
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Sentra Nissan Sentra Discussion Forum

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2010, 02:21 PM
2007 Sentra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default engine turns over but won't start

I would really appreciate any advice on what might be wrong with my 2007 Sentra. Have taken it to the dealer 3 times and they can't determine what the problem is. The engine turns over and sounds normal, just won't start. Computer gives a code that says "tampering". They rekeyed the chip in my keys and then they replaced a sensor around the ignition. Sometimes it will go a week and not have the problem, but when it does, it's a problem. So far, I've been able to eventually get it to start by slowly pressing the accelerator and releasing it 3 times. But, yesterday it took 9 attempts. The dealer doesn't know what else to try. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Have you or the dealer checked if there is fuel pressure and spark while the problem is occurring?

Nissan OBD-II Trouble Codes

Show your support to our forums and get unlimited access to the knowledge base files: Subscribe
Old 10-26-2010, 03:35 PM
2007 Sentra

I don't know if the dealer checked these. Is there a way I can check this myself?
Old 10-27-2010, 02:36 AM
2013 Rogue

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Does the vehicle have any aftermarket accessories?
ASE Master Certified.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:33 AM
2007 Sentra

No, as far as I know, it doesn't.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:02 PM
2007 Sentra

Was there any resolution to this? My girflfriend's 07 sentra does the same thing. 47k miles and bone stock. It hasn't left her stranded but id like to get it fixed before it does. Thanks. -Darren
Old 04-08-2011, 08:06 PM
2007 Sentra
2006 Pathfinder
2007 Sentra

I have a exactly same problem and service department at Nissan told me the same thing as you mentioned. They rekeyed the chip in my keys and then they replaced a sensor around the ignition. I also received a new key. I have found out when this problem occurs all I need to do is put the car in neutral and move it about a feet or two and I can immediatly start the car. I have provided this information to the Dealer in Houston(Baker Jackson) and Iam scheduled to take it in to replace couple of sensors next week. Since this is a random issue and this may not happen for a month I will post the result later time.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:02 AM
2004 Altima

I have a 2004 Nissan Altima. Everything was fine until 2 days ago, woke up and car was slow to turn over...it cranked and sounded find, but very slow. After sitting for a few hours it would not start. Replace the battery after jumping it twice and all was good started right up. Now, the day after replacing the battery once again it will not start. You can hear the engine cranking and after continually doing this for a few seconds it starts, I let it run for a few minutes and it starts right up. But if I wait for a couple of hours the same thing happens but not sure what the problem may be. I did notice that when changing the battery one of the cables was hard to tighten because ring that goes around battery post is cracked. Could this be the problem?
Old 07-10-2011, 02:26 PM
2002 Altima
2002 Altima

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Yeah, you need to change your battery cable terminal. Your not getting good contact.

It happen to me when I replaced my battery. The new battery post was a tad smaller and I can't tightened the terminal anymore. I twist it around until the cable butts the front frame and it stays really tight. No more problem.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:12 PM
2007 Sentra

The owners manual says that other keys or fobs on your key ring can interfere with your immoblizer circuit. It will prevent the fuel pump from running. The red light that flashes on your dash all the time is the immoblizer indicator. If it comes on and stays on while you try to start the car, it has not properly read the radio frequency from your key and will not turn on the fuel pump. Try using your other key and see if it works better. When I have a problem, I remove my key from the the key ring, wait ten seconds and try again, with only the key (no key chain).

good luck
Jimbo