Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2001 sentra xe not starting Forums > > 2001 sentra xe not starting 2001 sentra xe not starting
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Sentra Nissan Sentra Discussion Forum

Old 10-24-2010, 09:03 AM
Enthusiast
2001 Sentra

Default 2001 sentra xe not starting

Greetings!
I have a 2001 Sentra Xe that is not starting although the engine is turning over quite well. I suspected the fuel pump. I checked the fuse for the fuel pump(15A) and it was good. I checked pin 1 on the fuel pump connector and there was not voltage. I checked on the relay and realized that the relay was not working. According to the manual if the cam shaft sensor is defective the ecm will not send a voltage to operate the relay. I cheated the ecm by shorting the relay contacts and also bypasing the ECM voltage. The relay operated and I saw juice on pin 1 of the pump. I then disconnected the fuel line at the rail and observed that the fuel pump was working since I collected some fuel in a jar. Replace the fuel line and tried starting but no luck. Suspect that I was getting no Spark Removed a spark plug and checked for a spark. no spark. A friend brought his code reader. codes read P0455, p0464, p1448. WE erase the code and read again the only code read is now p0505 (Idle control control system malfunction. I disconnected the negative terminal on the battery to reset the ecm and read the codes again Again p0505 only code observed. I disconnected the connector on the idle control valve. Still not starting. i am beginning to suspect the ecm since i think that if the camshaft sensor is defective that I would get a code. I took off the oil cap and had a look at the camshaft turning which tells me that the timing chain is turning. Has any one seen this problem before where both the fuel pump is not working and there is no spark. Note that this car does not have a distributor instead it get a voltage from the ecm which drives a transistor amplifier which is in the sparkplug casing. Any help would be appreciated.

Geoffrey
Old 10-25-2010, 03:53 PM
Master Enthusiast
1997 Altima
1995 Sentra
1995 Nissan sentra

Had some issues where the ecm caused the no spark and fuel issue. Check the signal side of the coil and see if the ecm is ground ing the coils.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:57 PM
2015 Rogue

Pull all 4 coils and put plugs in them. Crank the engine and check to see if only #4 fires while cranking. If it does then your timing chain has jumped.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:07 PM
Enthusiast
2001 Sentra

Hello guys, thanks very much for your recommendations. I got home late tonight so I was unable to have a go. Will try tomorrow evening. If either of the recommendations do not solve the problem I will have the car pushed into my garage and start checking the spark plug circuit and the camshaft sensor circuit at the ecm. I printed out their troubleshooting sections from the manual. I will let you guys know how I make out one way or the other.
Again thanks very much your help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Geoffrey,

I printed out the their troubleshooting sections from the manual. It is getting pretty cold plus the car is in the street
Old 10-25-2010, 05:11 PM
Enthusiast
2001 Sentra

Greetings All,
MPE235 I forgot to ask how the coils/sparks plugs are numbered going from left to right when I am standing in directly in front of the car and looking at the engine. The coil that I checked was the last one on the right. From what I gather you want me to check all the spark plugs outside of the cyclinders simultaneously?

Geoffrey
Old 10-26-2010, 09:20 AM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Sentra
2003 Sentra
2002 Sentra GXE

number 4 is at the rear of the engine. This would be the one closest to the driver's side of the car.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:55 PM
Enthusiast
2001 Sentra

Greetings JudoJoh,
Thanks for your help. However, I believe that you are mixing up the models. This Sentra is a 4 cyclinder and all the spark plugs are in the front of the engine just behind the radiator.

Geoffrey
Old 10-26-2010, 04:02 PM
Enthusiast
2001 Sentra

Hello MPE235 I did as you recommended. None of the sparks plugs fired. I guess as a result it is safe to conclude that the timing/timing chain is ok. Thats about all I could do this afternoon. Will aim to have the car pushed into the garage probably Thursday afternoon so that I can work on it. I guess the next step would be to check the ignition circuit from the input to the ecm all the way to the spark plugs. do you have any more suggestions relating to any sensors that I should be checking?

Geoffrey
Old 10-26-2010, 05:07 PM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Sentra
2003 Sentra
2002 Sentra GXE

check out the crank and cam position sensors. one or both out will cause a no-start issue. Did you read any codes?
Old 10-26-2010, 05:21 PM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Sentra
2003 Sentra
2002 Sentra GXE

P1448
EVAP Canister Vent Control Valve (Open)

check the FSM to see what it says.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:31 PM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Sentra
2003 Sentra
2002 Sentra GXE

Quote:
Originally Posted by galleyne View Post
Greetings JudoJoh,
Thanks for your help. However, I believe that you are mixing up the models. This Sentra is a 4 cyclinder and all the spark plugs are in the front of the engine just behind the radiator.

Geoffrey
Yes, but the engine sets sideways or transversely. Therefore the front of the engine is near the right side of the car (passenger side), and the rear of the engine is where it bolts to the transaxle, which is also the driver's side of the car.

I have the exact same model. Go to the photo gallery and you will see my photos of my engine.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:19 PM
Enthusiast
2001 Sentra

Hello JudoJohn,
I learnt something from you. Thanks. I never knew that was the configuration for front wheel drive cars. always thought the rear was before the firewall and the front was behind the radiator. Should I not get a code for either the cam shaft sensor and/or the cranshaft sensor if they are faulty/malfunctioning? I never saw a code for either before or after we erased the codes. The only code I am now getting is P0505 which is "Idle control control system malfunction"

Geoffrey
Old 10-26-2010, 06:22 PM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Sentra
2003 Sentra
2002 Sentra GXE

I'm not sure that p505 should keep it from starting? maybe mpe knows.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:36 AM
Master Enthusiast
1997 Altima
1995 Sentra
1995 Nissan sentra

If you are getting P0505 without the vehicle running then you have a problem. P0505 is an ISC sode, which usually requires the engine to be running for the ECM to collect data to identify an idle problem. Therefore I would check the power supply to the Idle speed control motor and make sure the signal is present to and from the ECM. The codes that you have had and the non operating systems would make one think ECM as the ECM supplies a ground / small voltages to operate the mentioned systems. In otherwords no switching ground from ECM the vehivle will not start. Make sure the power supply and ground is at the ECM relay as well. You may very well have a broken wire in the main harness they were known for that as well.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:30 AM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by galleyne View Post
Hello MPE235 I did as you recommended. None of the sparks plugs fired. I guess as a result it is safe to conclude that the timing/timing chain is ok. Thats about all I could do this afternoon. Will aim to have the car pushed into the garage probably Thursday afternoon so that I can work on it. I guess the next step would be to check the ignition circuit from the input to the ecm all the way to the spark plugs. do you have any more suggestions relating to any sensors that I should be checking?

Geoffrey
I'm thinking ECM issue. Remove the ecm housing from the firewall and open the plastic case. Check to see if the case is lined with foam.

Tags
2001, sentra, starting