Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2001 sentra xe not starting Forums > > 2001 sentra xe not starting 2001 sentra xe not starting
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Sentra Nissan Sentra Discussion Forum

Old 10-27-2010, 03:57 AM
Enthusiast
2001 Sentra

Greetings All!
Thanks for your assistance. I have decided to stay home this morning since the weather is good and have a go at this problem. I will report back on my findings hopefully I will have some good news.

Geoffrey
Old 10-28-2010, 06:33 PM
Enthusiast
2001 Sentra

Greetings I had a go at the car yesterday for a few hours. I pretty much worked on EC-548 checking the ECM Relay circuit. I removed the connector from the ECM. I operated the relay by grounding pin 2 at the ECM harness and checking for continuity between pins 3 and 5, and 6 and 7 on the relay. On page EC-548 it shows pin 2 of the relay connecting to pin 31 on the ECM connector/harness. I found it to be connected to pin 21 as per the drawing of the connector. The pin 31 is shown as the second pin on the row that is indented. When I checked on that pin I had no continuity with pin 2 on the relay. So it appears to be an error on the drawing. MPE can you comment on that. I took pictures of the relay and the ecm and the ecm connector. I could not locate the condenser can someone tell me where that is? In the manual you are asked to take measurements with the connector on the ECM. That will be my next step. There was no foam in the housing of the ECM have a loot at the photos. I believe that the ECM realy is ok. I am beginning to suspect the camshaft sensor although no way in the manual does it say that if the camshaft sensor is defective that the ecm relay is not energized. However, I take the view that if the ECM cuts off the power to the fuel pump relay if the Camshaft sensor is defective that it will also prevent the ECM relay from operating since that is what provides the voltage for the spark plugs. Why would the fuel pump be turned off and the engine allowed to generate sparks? Does not seem logical hence my hunch. Tonight I removed the Cranshaft sensor and measured the resistance. Ther are 3 terminals between the two end terminals I got an open circuit (infinite resistance), between an end terminal and the centre 1.2 Kohms and between centre and the other end terminal and open circuit. That does not tell me much unless I buy a new camshaft sensor and compare the readings? I think the camshaft sensor picsk up a voltage due to a changing magnetic field. I guess the proper way to check it would be to turn the engine and look with an oscilloscope on the corresponding pins in the ECM harness. The dealer quoted ame a price of over $40 feach or the cranshaft sensor and the camshaft sensor, while the ecm is around $900. I will try to get a camshaft sensor from a parts store where I am sure it is much cheaper. I will give this a shot and hopefully that will solve the problem. Before I do that, however, I will check for continuity between the Camshaft sensor harness and the ECM harness pin outs. Like I said I could not locate the condenser although from the picture in the manual it appears to be beside the ECM. The ECM realy is the Brown relay in the picture. the terminals are from the top on the right hand side going to the left pins 2, 7, and 6. While from the right hand side on the bottom going to the left pins 1, 5, and 3. MPE can you tell me what those red, green, and grey connectors in the ecm harness are for? Again any help will be greatly appreciated. I wil be posting the photos shortly.

Geoffrey
Old 10-29-2010, 01:53 AM
Master Enthusiast
1997 Altima
1995 Sentra
1995 Nissan sentra

Hey. If there was an issue with the ecm relay chances are you would have no communiction with ecm and when you turn the key ahead to the on position the Service engine soon light will not illuminate. Pg 168 in the Esm I think give you the complete diagram for the power supply for the ecm. I hope this helps I will respond more later.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:58 AM
Enthusiast
2001 Sentra

Hello Guys,
i have been trying to upload the photos I took to the gallery but I have only been able to upload 1. I keep getting "upload failed". I think it because my photos are too big. Is there a way I can reduce the size of each photo so that I can upload them? I guess the alternative would be to trying zipping them and them uploading.

Geoffrey
Old 10-30-2010, 09:21 AM
Enthusiast
2001 Sentra

Greetings All!
After much frustration I was able to upload ALL the photos. Please have a look. I bought a camshaft sensor and compared (resistance readings) with the one I took out of the engine. The both gave approximately the same readings. An educated guess would tell me that the Camshaft sensor is good. I will check the camshaft sensor. I will try and take pictures any parts and their locations and post them in the gallery so that others can use them.
I think I am going to go back and start from scratch and have a look at the evaporator canister codes(P0455, P1448, and P0440) which I had before this problem. Wtih those codes sometimes the car would stall immediately after it started. Once you gave a bit of gas after starting the car would not stall. This was an intermittent problem which I never investigated besides readings the codes. If I look at the codes which I read after this problem I got P01448, P0455, P0464, P0180, and P0505.
If I compare the codes before and after you can see that the only news codes are P0505 and P0464. I also did not see P0440. If I assume that P0440 can be intermittent under current driving conditions I can ignore it for the moment. I can also ignore P0180 since it has to do with the fuel temperature sensor since I do not believe that since the fuel pump is not working that the sensor will not record a change in temperature. That leaves P0505. Will check out this sensor and report back. In the meantime if any of you can provide more help it would be greatly appreciated.

Geoffrey
Old 10-31-2010, 04:09 AM
Master Enthusiast
1997 Altima
1995 Sentra
1995 Nissan sentra

Get to the ECM relay just behind the glove box and check for voltage at terminal 1,3, and 6 of relay. Colors ar for 1,2 white/blue, 3 red/black should have batt volts or 12 volts Check the ground side of the relay terminal 31. Also checek the supply and signal to the ignition coils. I do beleive you either have a broken wire in the harness by the batteryfrom the fuse block through inside the vehicle at the fender by the battery, or you have an ECM problem. The logic I have for this is that you have Vent control valve code P1448 which caised the P0455 evap gross leak, you have fuel pump power loss, you have no spark which leads me to believe and ECM supplied ground is missing. Also you have P0505 which is an Idle control system theat is controlled by the ECM and without the vehicle running you should not be getting this code unless the ISC motor has failed or the signal to it is missing.
With the frustration you have I would start over from the beginning and see exactly what you have spark, fuel, etc. I think you can get your answer from here because both are ECM controlled. Use the diag aid in the ESM for fuel pump EC 163 and ignition coils under code P1320 to give the diag you need.
I hope this helps you out. The cam sensor code will occur if there is a fault. I have not seen this not set unless there was a problem with timing or ecm.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:00 AM
wakayama

I have Nissan sentra 2001 GXE 1.8. No engine start, but Battery is OK.

I have code reader and try, but I got " no link " errs message.

When I turn key, " engine check " light. I checl all fuse and OK.

What is wrong?

Thank you.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:32 AM
Master Enthusiast
1997 Altima
1995 Sentra
1995 Nissan sentra

When you turn the key do the engine check light come on. If no you have a broken wire by the battery and fuse box. THE WIRE IS WHITE/BLUE WIRE. Remove the battery and holder to access harness. I hope this helps
Old 10-31-2010, 11:59 AM
wakayama

" engine check " light come on. My ECU( ECM ) is broken or..?

I don't understand, " why can't I use code reader?" I try many times, but alway " no connections.."

I turn on key.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:36 PM
Master Enthusiast
1997 Altima
1995 Sentra
1995 Nissan sentra

Check power at the data link connector
Old 10-31-2010, 01:33 PM
wakayama

I check #16 and has 12V.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:59 PM
Master Enthusiast
1997 Altima
1995 Sentra
1995 Nissan sentra

Ok What kind of OBD II reader are you using. Lets start from the beginning. Do you have fuel pressure and or spark. Do you hear the fuel pump run when key is ahead? If no fuel pump or pressure check for battery volts at pump. Place to start.
Old 10-31-2010, 03:31 PM
wakayama

1. I have actron CP9185 autoScanner.

2. I changed fuel pomp, but no fuel pressure, no spark( new 4 spark Plug too ).

** I check Ignition Coil and show voltage.

3. I check all fuse.

I drived sentra morning and nothings wrong. Then afternoon, I couln't start engine( starter is wroking ).

4 I changed Crank angle sensor too.
Old 10-31-2010, 03:52 PM
Master Enthusiast
1997 Altima
1995 Sentra
1995 Nissan sentra

Sounds like a blown ECM. Sounds like the ECM is not producing the signal to turn thr coils on or the fuel pump as well. Use a noid light and disconnect a fuel injector connector, insert the noid light in the connector and crank engine see if light flashes while cranking.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:16 PM
Enthusiast
2001 Sentra

Greetings All, Thanks Steamcast. I decided to s;pend some time trying to under the various wiring diagrams and connectors etc. I was able to determine that the Camshaft Sensor has continuity with the ECM and ground. This eliminates the Camshaft circuit since I had already compared the old Camshaft against a new one and got similar results. It was might cold today so I could not spend too much time outside. I hope that the weather will be bit better tomorrow since I would like to get underneath the car and check the Crankshaft sensor and its harness. Once these are out of the way I will reconnect the ECM and start following your recommendations. Just looking forward do you know of any place where I can purchase a rebuilt/old ECM if I finally come to the conclusion that mine is defective? The dealter gave me a ballpark figure of $900. If that is the case I might as well try and purchase a sminilar sentra. Right now a used car dealer has one with 240000km and asking approx $2000. I told him I would offer 1500. I finally realized what those 3 connectors (green, blue, and grey) next to the ECM are for. The green is actually F23. Again thanks very much for your help it is greatly appreciated.

Geoffrey

Tags
2001, sentra, starting