Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2004 Sentra Engine dies Forums > > 2004 Sentra Engine dies 2004 Sentra Engine dies
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Sentra Nissan Sentra Discussion Forum

Old 06-01-2009, 04:13 PM
Bengeg1964

Default 2004 Sentra Engine dies

While driving my 2004 Sentra 1.8S with A/T, it will suddenly die. No coughing or sputtering, it just dies.

I recently washed the engine at low pressure, to clean away 100000 miles of dust. Afterward, I drove home five miles just fine.

The next day the car began rough idling, and trying to stall. I nursed it home and made an appointment to have it taken to the closest repair facility, the local Firestone Master Care. They said it had a random misfire code P0300, and that the "spark plugs had shorted due to exposure to water". Stated they found moisture several of the spark plug plug wells. The repair that was recommended was to use a process they have to clean the fuel system and it would also help the evaporative system. They would also change the spark plugs, using new platinum plugs. This done, the car ran perfectly for only two days, and then started to die regularly.

The car will turn over, but not start for several minutes after dying. Once I give the engine a few minutes, with the ignition on off and the car in park; it will start easily and run just fine with no missing or other obvious signs it is going to die. Then it will run for just a short distance then die again.

I have checked for loose wires, evaporative hoses that are loose or disconnected, checked the fuses, and other obvious fixes. There is no smell of fuel, and the exhaust does not have any unusual smoke. Fluid levels are fine, and the temperature gauge does not ever rise out of the middle of the "normal" range. The oil shows no signs of contamination, the battery cables are connected. Firestone indicated the alternator was working.

I'm at a loss here folks...any ideas what this problem might be?

Last edited by Bengeg1964; 06-01-2009 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Accuracy and clarity.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:07 AM
Darkpath

I'd say you still have moisture in there somewhere... Pull all the engine covers off - including the fuse box covers and use a leaf blower and see if you can't dry the electrical out a little better. To be honest - its ODD... Odd that it will run a bit - then die for no apparent reason... Does your Service Engine light stay on when its running? Does it go out after you get it restarted? If it does... Take it to a nearby Advanced Auto or Auto Zone they will put a code reader on it FOR FREE and give you a better idea of what the onboard computer is detecting the issue to be...
Old 06-05-2009, 10:23 AM
Master Enthusiast

2004 sentra

Never clean your [ newer car]engine with water.It looks like your MAF is busted /dirty try to clean it with CRC ,You also could have water in your air filter area which will mess up your air flow ,LET US KNOW!!!
Old 11-29-2009, 11:19 PM
Enthusiast
2004 Sentra

hi all...... got the same thing problem with my car...... try to see if one of these sensor are working fine. ( CAM & CRANK SENSOR ) if one of them is short it will shut the engine off & without giving you a sign before it goes off.... those 2 sensor are like safety.... if it senses any changes or the way the timing is off, it will actually shut off to prevent the engine get more damages. it will turn off so quickly that the ecm wont evev recognize the code.....

hope this will help.....salam
ACE

Tags
2004, dies, engine, sentra