Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Can't Pass Smog! Forums > > Can't Pass Smog! Can't Pass Smog!
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Sentra Nissan Sentra Discussion Forum

Old 06-06-2008, 05:25 AM
netwerkjim

Default Can't Pass Smog!

I tried to smog my 2003 Sentra SER Spec V but there were fail codes that said my crank case position sensor was bad Code: P0335 and my Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 2 Code: P0037 was bad. I replaced both parts and checked the wiring on both for voltage and continuity, but I still get these failure codes. What else could be the problem? Could it be that the defect in the ECM that Nissan had a recall to have it reprogramed could be causing this? I haven't had ECM reprogramed and my car sometimes stops running for a split second. I just can't see how after replacing both of these parts that the ECM would still say there is still the exact same problem with both!

Thanks, Jim O
Old 06-06-2008, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

When the ECM triggers the engine light and a code (e.g. P0335) is store in the ECM memory, it doesn't necessary means that the part is bad and that you have to replaced it. It means that there is a problem in the circuit, connector, part or information that the sensor is reading.

Example:

CKP Sensor - P0335

The code is trigger when:
- The crankshaft position sensor (POS) signal is not detected by the ECM during the first few seconds of engine cranking.

or
- The proper pulse signal from the crankshaft position sensor (POS) is not sent to ECM while the engine is running.

or

- The crankshaft position sensor (POS) signal is not in the normal pattern during engine running

But, in some models the code is trigger when the battery is to low and fails to turn the engine at the correct speed.

I suggest to download the "Engine Control" section of the manual and follow the instruction to diagnose the problem, before replacing any more parts. You can download the section free from here: Knowledgebase - 2003 Sentra - Nissanhelp.com
Old 06-06-2008, 12:48 PM
netwerkjim

Default Can't Pass Smog

Thanks for your reply, I did try removing the battery (neg) cable for 24 hours like the Emissions service manual said to do. Yes I do have a copy of it and I did check the conections to both sensors for both voltage and continuity. I still the check engine light comes on shortly after I test drive the car. Do you think having the ECM reprogramed as per the recall, might fix this?

Thanks, Jim O
Old 03-11-2009, 11:44 PM
barrett311

My car was throwing the exact same codes (P0037 and P0335). I had my crank case position sensor replaced and that fixed the 0035 code. Now it's just throwing the 0037 code. I was worried that something might be wrong with my ECU, and I was afraid that what happened to your car would happen to mine (replaced the parts and the codes stayed on). I guess my question is, does the fact that my 0335 code cleared mean the the ECU is alright? If I replace my rear o2 sensor will that get rid of my SES light? Or should I still be worried that my ECU could be the problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwerkjim View Post
I tried to smog my 2003 Sentra SER Spec V but there were fail codes that said my crank case position sensor was bad Code: P0335 and my Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 2 Code: P0037 was bad. I replaced both parts and checked the wiring on both for voltage and continuity, but I still get these failure codes. What else could be the problem? Could it be that the defect in the ECM that Nissan had a recall to have it reprogramed could be causing this? I haven't had ECM reprogramed and my car sometimes stops running for a split second. I just can't see how after replacing both of these parts that the ECM would still say there is still the exact same problem with both!

Thanks, Jim O
Old 03-12-2009, 02:19 AM
netwerkjim

Talking Reply: Can't Pass Smog

Hi, I did finally figure out what the problem was. First off the O2 sensor that I was given at Autozone as a replacement for the rear sensor was the same model as the front one which they told me both front and rear sensor use the same model. Wrong! They are not the same. So I took the rear sensor back to Autozone and got a Bosch model that was listed just for the rear sensor. Then after replacing it and then still not passing smog, I tested the new Bosch sensor with a volt meter to see if it was within Spec's, like the online repair manual you can download from this web site listed the correct voltage range should be. Surprise, surprise the new Bosch sensor was defective new out of the box. This time I went back to Autozone and got all of my money back then went to a NAPA store and got a Bosch sensor from them. 5 minutes later I had the new sensor and my engine check light went out. Took the car back up to NAPA to put it on their system tester to see if the error codes still flagged ( They check it for free ) and da-ta-da-da. no errors! Went straight to the smog check place down the street and finally the car passed, and the light has never come on since. ( This was in June of last year )
So make sure you have the correct sensor and it isn't a dud one. But most of all DO NOT BUY IT FROM AUTOZONE!!!!!

Later, Jim O
Old 03-12-2009, 02:29 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2015 Rogue

Quote:
...finally figure out what the problem...O2 sensor that I was given at Autozone as a replacement...told me both front and rear sensor use the same model. Wrong!...went to a NAPA store and got a Bosch sensor from them. 5 minutes later I had the new sensor and my engine check light went out...Went straight to the smog check place down the street and finally the car passed, and the light has never come on since...
netwerkji thanks for the update!

FIND OUT WHAT YOUR REPAIR SHOULD COST?
Repair Cost Estimator

BUY NISSAN ACCESSORIES!
Nissanhelp Store
Old 03-13-2009, 04:17 PM
barrett311

Hey netmerkjim, thanks so much for all the info you've given me so far! I just have a few more questions and I think I'll have this SES light taken care of.

First of all, I just want to confirm P0037 is for the bank 1 sensor 2, which is the post-cat rear sensor, correct? Let me know if any part of that was wrong.

Second, this is the exact part I need, right:

NAPAONLINE

And finally, is there a way you could possibly take a picture of where the sensor is located, or explain where it is, because Nissan told me that they are right next to each other, and I'm having a hard time visualizing where it is.

P.S. I'm going to take the sensor back to Auto Zone and go to NAPA to buy the right one, I just want to make sure it's the correct one first!

And thanks again for all your help. I owe you one!

Quote:
Hi, I did finally figure out what the problem was. First off the O2 sensor that I was given at Autozone as a replacement for the rear sensor was the same model as the front one which they told me both front and rear sensor use the same model. Wrong! They are not the same. So I took the rear sensor back to Autozone and got a Bosch model that was listed just for the rear sensor. Then after replacing it and then still not passing smog, I tested the new Bosch sensor with a volt meter to see if it was within Spec's, like the online repair manual you can download from this web site listed the correct voltage range should be. Surprise, surprise the new Bosch sensor was defective new out of the box. This time I went back to Autozone and got all of my money back then went to a NAPA store and got a Bosch sensor from them. 5 minutes later I had the new sensor and my engine check light went out. Took the car back up to NAPA to put it on their system tester to see if the error codes still flagged ( They check it for free ) and da-ta-da-da. no errors! Went straight to the smog check place down the street and finally the car passed, and the light has never come on since. ( This was in June of last year )
So make sure you have the correct sensor and it isn't a dud one. But most of all DO NOT BUY IT FROM AUTOZONE!!!!!

Later, Jim O
Old 03-14-2009, 02:35 PM
barrett311

Yeah I looked under my car today and couldn't find the sensor anywhere. Any info on its whereabouts would be greatly appreciated!

Tags
pass, smog