Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2003 Sentra GXE 1.8 Wont start/trouble starting, check engine light Forums > > 2003 Sentra GXE 1.8 Wont start/trouble starting, check engine light 2003 Sentra GXE 1.8 Wont start/trouble starting, check engine light
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Sentra Nissan Sentra Discussion Forum

Old 03-13-2009, 12:07 PM

2003 Sentra

Question 2003 Sentra GXE 1.8 Wont start/trouble starting, check engine light

wife has a 2003 Nissan Sentra GXE. Her car has been a little iffy in starting for a while, if all radio, air, etc are turned off it starts normally, but if they are onn it NEVER starts the first time, but starts second time you turn it over easily.

THEN, she came to my work to grab some lunch, parked, left the car on, i got in, she put it in reverse, backed up about 3 feet and it stalled on her. i assumed at that point she hi the gas after it stalled and she flooded it.. i took her home and the next day it started with no problems.

she has since then drove it to and from work without problems at all, then she just went to take my son to eat and it wont start in the parking lot.

the check engine like would come on everytime when it wouldnt start the first time, but NEVER when it DID start the first time you turn it over..

and of course with it not starting the chek engine light is on again..

i prefer to fix the issue myself, but cant find much on what it could be. and dont REALLY wanna tow it to a repair shop and pay a lot for repairs..

any help/suggestions?

for common questions ive been getting past few days:

* its due for spark plugs, but unlikely ALL went out, if one were bad it would start still just be rough running, etc.
* shes not out of gas or even close
* battery is fine, it turns over completely, all electronics work fine.
* oil isnt low, all fluid look good.

any help is greatly appreciated..
Old 03-13-2009, 12:18 PM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Maxima

first thing u want to do is head to local autozone and have it scanned and see what code/s u get instead of guessing of what it could be, they do the scan free of charge. i would check your battery connection and make sure they are tight and that the terminals are clean. look for any exposed wires aswell. when u go to autozone have them check your alternator(if they ccan on the car) and also test the battery this is also a free service. let us know what u find out

2002 Maxima GLE Silver on Black
| Berk Intake w/AEM Dryflow | Clear Sidemarker Lights w/PIAA L.E.D|PIAA L.E.D Courtesy and Licence Plate Lights|PIAA White Fogs |Fibre Customs EyeLids | 5% Limo Tint | Brembo Blanks and Hawk HPS Pads |Ebay FSTB|CATTMAN RSB| NWP VIAS Block plate and NWS Spacers| OEM Spoiler | 07 350 z rims on 235/45/18 Goodyear Eagle GT tires| Megan Racing OE-RS Catback |

in training

SHOW YOUR SUPPORT: Subscribe or Donate
Old 03-17-2009, 07:21 AM

2003 Sentra

luckily autozone lets you take a scanner with you for a $150 deposit, which was great since the car wont start.. its the crankshaft position sensor.

ive been trying for about a day to get that SOB out. but it isnt coming out.. i can get my fingers on it. but cant pull it out of the socket, it turns and swivels, i got the screw out.. cant quite get the tab to get the plug off either. but that would be much easier once its OUT.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:09 PM
Enthusiast

2004 sentra 1.8s

Question

For my knowledge, where is located this sensor? Maybe i can think of a special tool to remove it. Is it shaped like a spark plug?
Old 03-17-2009, 03:11 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBengals View Post
luckily autozone lets you take a scanner with you for a $150 deposit, which was great since the car wont start.. its the crankshaft position sensor.

ive been trying for about a day to get that SOB out. but it isnt coming out.. i can get my fingers on it. but cant pull it out of the socket, it turns and swivels, i got the screw out.. cant quite get the tab to get the plug off either. but that would be much easier once its OUT.
I usually use a large flat blade screwdriver. Put it between the engine block and the part of the sensor that the plug goes on and twist it.
ASE Master Certified.

Tags
2003, check, engine, gxe, light, sentra, start or trouble, starting