Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
no spark/no SES light when key turned Forums > > no spark/no SES light when key turned no spark/no SES light when key turned
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Sentra Nissan Sentra Discussion Forum

Old 09-04-2010, 05:56 PM
sja2446

Default no spark/no SES light when key turned

Just bought a 2000 sentra gxe w/ a 1.8L 4 cyl. engine. Was told about an intermittant idle problem at stops. After searching these forums, assumed I would eventually need to replace the ECU to correct this problem(?). 2 weeks later, I decide to do a compression test, and replace the plugs since they were out. Compression was good (all between 150-165), but now the car doesn't start. I don't seem to be getting a spark from any of the coils, and the SES light does not come on when I turn the key to to the on position. All the fuses check out ok, and I will attempt to check the relays tomorrow. I'm assuming if I change the ECU and/or the relay I should be good to go? Any help would be appreciated, as this is my first Nissan-I usually nuy american.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:09 AM
nobardin

I also have a 2000 Sentra GXE 1.8L... it is a good car until something goes wrong then it seems like it is just a cascade..anywho.

Foremost did you call nissan (not a local dealership) and give them your VIN to check for any open recalls on the vehicle? If it was issued a recall and never serviced, the recall is still valid and in effect. A recall doesn't expire.

If there wasn't an open recall on your vehicle:

Here is a link to a generic no-spark/start diagnosis page. No Spark Diagnosis

The fact that the SES light does not come on when you turn the ignition on kind of makes me go hmmm. I have heard of that once before and it turned out to be the ECM had gone bad. Not saying this is your case, but a possibility. It could also be a blown blub for the SES light.

Do you have an OBD2 scan tool handy? If not that's okay. Just can be helpful.

Did you try unpluging the negative battery terminal for 15-20 mins then take the ECM out to see if you could smell any burnt smells or anything? If you decide to do this, On my sentra, the ECM is located under the hood on the passenger side in the firewall.

Sorry I can't be more detailed and offer a solution right away. I am far from a professional mechanic. However, like I stated earlier "I too have a 2000 Sentra GXE 1.8L"

You wouldn't happen to have a digital camera and could take a pic of your MAF connector would you? I am trying to figure out where the engine ground wire that runs with the maf connector wires goes. Does it go into the MAF connector or somewhere else? I will include a pic of the location of the ECM and a picture of the MAF connector and the wire in question.

ECM Location..it's the black box in the firewall

MAF connector and the wire in question the engine ground wire is black/pink

Last edited by nobardin; 09-05-2010 at 06:24 AM.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:01 AM
sja2446

Nobardin, thanks for the reply and pics. The woman I bought this from bought it new, so I'm assuming she had all the recalls taken care of(?)-but I will get the vin and call on Tuesday. I don't believe the ses bulb is blown, because it was on before I started working on it. I ordered a scan tool online but haven't received it yet. The pic I took will not upload for some reason, I will try again later-the wires are green, red, black & white. Do you know where the ECM relay is located?
Old 09-05-2010, 11:08 AM
2015 Rogue

You have a broken wire to the ecm relay. The wire is white with a blue stripe. If you follow the harness down that comes out of the under hood fuse box down about six inches from the box and remove the tape to expose the wires you should be able to find the break in that location.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:04 PM
sja2446

Thanks mpe, I hope you're right. If I get this going for under 5 bucks, I'll def. be subscribing/donating. I couldn't locate the relay-supposed to be driver's side kick panel(?). Took off the panel and saw a couple of connectors, but they didn't look like the nissan relays I googled. Do you think replacing the wire might fix the intermittant idle problem too? I will update tomorrow, hopefully with good news.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:09 PM
nobardin

Thanks for your reply about the MAF wires. I do appreciate it.

I believe the ECM relay is behind the glovebox. You have to take the glovebox out to get to it. If it were a bit earlier I would go take mine out just to make sure =).

I will attach a picture of an ECM relay. The picture is related to a 2002 Sentra spec v.. I am hoping it should be the same though... I couldn't find anything about the location for a 2000 sentra..Hope it helps.

In the little sheath of wires for the MAF sensor, do you see a black/pink wire? The red, white green and black wires are hooked up correctly..it's the little engine ground wire (circled in yellow in the picture) that has me scratching my head. It runs outside of the insulation that the 4 main wires are in, but runs inside the insulation that is around that.

Please let us know how it goes with the ECM relay and such.

ECM Relay 2002 Sentra Spec v, but am hoping it will be the same since I can't seem to find any pictures of one for a 2000 sentra.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:11 AM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by sja2446 View Post
Thanks mpe, I hope you're right. If I get this going for under 5 bucks, I'll def. be subscribing/donating. I couldn't locate the relay-supposed to be driver's side kick panel(?). Took off the panel and saw a couple of connectors, but they didn't look like the nissan relays I googled. Do you think replacing the wire might fix the intermittant idle problem too? I will update tomorrow, hopefully with good news.
The relay is under the glove box.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:31 PM
sja2446

Well, I believe I found the wire, but don't think it was broken. Not sure I found the actual relay under the glove box, so did not test it. Had someone come by with a scanner and got a link error. Disconnected the battery for a bit, did some probing and swapped around some fuses, then retried the scanner. Somehow I had spark again! Don't recall the code, but was for a cylinder #2 misfire. Cranked the hell out of it, and was on the verge of starting without any luck. Narrowed it down to a bad coil arcing out. I'll be replacing the coil AND the Motorcraft spark plugs (I just bought) with NGK's.
I'm pretty confident it will then start, and hope to hell this also fixes the idle problem (I doubt it, I can't be that lucky). Thanks for all the help! I'll keep you informed. Nobardin, I'm still getting an error when trying to upload pictures-the files must be too big?
Old 09-07-2010, 02:32 AM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Well, I believe I found the wire, but don't think it was broken. Not sure I found the actual relay under the glove box, so did not test it. Had someone come by with a scanner and got a link error. Disconnected the battery for a bit, did some probing and swapped around some fuses, then retried the scanner. Somehow I had spark again! Don't recall the code, but was for a cylinder #2 misfire. Cranked the hell out of it, and was on the verge of starting without any luck. Narrowed it down to a bad coil arcing out. I'll be replacing the coil AND the Motorcraft spark plugs (I just bought) with NGK's.
I'm pretty confident it will then start, and hope to hell this also fixes the idle problem (I doubt it, I can't be that lucky). Thanks for all the help! I'll keep you informed. Nobardin, I'm still getting an error when trying to upload pictures-the files must be too big?
It probably started working because you moved the wire. Pull on the wire slightly it will probably come apart. It is VERY common on that model.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:04 AM
nobardin

Glad to hear you have made some progress with your car. I will help in any way that I can. As I am sure the community here will as well. Please keep us informed.

The way I posted my pictures here is first run them through picresize.com..browse and get the photo set for resizing then click the plus next to "quick resize" I think it is and make it 75 percent smaller.

Save the resized picture to your desktop. Then upload the resized picture to a photo hosting site of your choice (I use photobucket), copy the message board code it gives for the picture and paste it in a post...

On another note:
Got may car fixed today, Sentra RPM problems and catalytic converter question. it is running like a champ yet again. Now just to get the few minor things taken care of.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:54 PM
sja2446

Thanks for your help, and congrats on your car. I will be updating the board in a few days and maybe I'll be able to upload pics now.

mpe, is the wire you speak of a thicker gauge than the others? Maybe I had the wrong wire? Doesn't seem like the thicker of the bunch would break before the others.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:25 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Thanks for your help, and congrats on your car. I will be updating the board in a few days and maybe I'll be able to upload pics now.

mpe, is the wire you speak of a thicker gauge than the others? Maybe I had the wrong wire? Doesn't seem like the thicker of the bunch would break before the others.
No it's the same size as the others. White with a blue stripe. When you follow the harness down from the fuse box and remove the tape you will see a white plastic flap that opens. Open that up and pull on the wire in that location. You will probably be able see where it is corroded.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:50 AM
sja2446

Thanks, I'll take another look.

I see that my vin# is on a few recall lists. Does Nissan keep track of all the recall vin#'s that get fixed? Not sure if the last owner had them taken care of.
-thanx
Old 09-08-2010, 05:29 AM
nobardin

Yes, nissan keeps track of that stuff. If it was never serviced they will know. If the previous owner didn't have it serviced and it was issued a recall it should be taken care of.

NissanUSA.com - Contact for the nissan customer relations number.

Hope you have a bit of luck with them...mine aparently was not affected by any of the recalls according to the nissan reps. My wife bought the car brand new in 2000 and never had any recalls serviced.

As I have said before, please keep us informed of how it is going. Hopefully we'll be able to get your car fixed for ya!
Old 09-10-2010, 02:37 PM
sja2446

Installed 4 new NGK plugs (at $12.50 each). Probably shouldn't have spent the money, but I figured I'd be safe. Also installed the new ignition coil, and she started right up. Was still running very rough though. Pulled the "plug wires" off the coils one at a time, and it's only firing on 2 cylinders. What's the chances of 3 coils going bad at the same time? In any event, I just ordered 3 more coils, so all 4 will be new. Now I'm just hoping, that was the reason of the rough idle in the first place, and I won't need a MAF or ECM after all.

Tags
2000, automatic, key, light, no ses, no start, sentra, ses, spark or no, start, turned